-

Photo
- - - - -

2007 MLB Playoffs (Predictions and Discussion)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
240 replies to this topic

#21 of 241 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted October 03 2007 - 01:55 AM

It was Fox, which didn't want the potential 6th and 7th games of the World Series to take place on Saturday and Sunday, so they pushed everything back a couple days. The Division Series was the logical one to stretch out, since every year there are complaints about two games being played at the same time or an east coast team with a 10:35 start.

Anyway, at least it's finally time for things to get rolling. As a Sox fan, I'm feeling pretty confident about this series - the Angels' style of play involves lots of balls in play, and Boston's defense is solid. I don't think Anaheim is going to be able to string together enough hits to win more than one game.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#22 of 241 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted October 03 2007 - 02:15 AM

The Angels/Red Sox series is like that because of the Red sox having the best record. It's a new rule this year IIRC.

#23 of 241 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted October 03 2007 - 11:34 AM

Ah, I'd forgotten how much the Sox own Lackey, relative to the rest of the league, even though I was at the game he pitched at Fenway in August.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

#24 of 241 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted October 03 2007 - 01:24 PM

Beckett pitched a hell of a game there. I didn't realize post-season games could move that quickly.

I'm tempted to upgrade my prediction to "sweep".

#25 of 241 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,503 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 03 2007 - 01:25 PM

Yeah. Lackey has definite problems against the Sox...especially at Fenway.

But did anyone notice that Beckett pitched well? Posted Image

I bet there's a little more offense in Friday's game.

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#26 of 241 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted October 03 2007 - 01:42 PM

Rockies made a nice statement today. Holliday smacked a HR to lead them to a victory and their pitching is surprisingly good.

I was not surprised at Beckett. I'm still not close to being convinced the Sox will have an easy time and sweep the Angels.

#27 of 241 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted October 03 2007 - 04:58 PM

Brandon Webb shuts down the Cubs

#28 of 241 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Martin
I'm still not close to being convinced the Sox will have an easy time and sweep the Angels.
I don't know about an easy time, but the Angels' style of play - hack away for singles and run - is a pretty poor match for Boston's top three. Beckett and Schilling just don't walk people, and they've got very solid defense. Since the Angels don't hit a lot of home runs, they're going to need to string several hits together, and that's not going to happen enough barring a Matsuzaka Meltdown inning or two on Friday.

If Wakefield and/or Lester were starting in this series, it would be different - you can run at will on Wake and Lester's game plan seems to be "nibble at the strike zone until you have to throw something down the middle, put many people on base, and hope for a double play" (God, I hate watching Lester pitch) - but that's not happening.

#29 of 241 OFFLINE   Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

• 1,055 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 01:29 AM

I think the Angels are going to have problems beating the Red Sox because the Angels right now have plenty of serious injury problems. Also, the Angels' "small ball" philosophy doesn't work well at Fenway Park, either.
Raymond in Sacramento, CA USA

#30 of 241 OFFLINE   Brian Perry

Brian Perry

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 02:35 AM

Piniella was second-guessed for taking Zambrano out after six innings in a tie game, but Marmol has been a stud all year. If Zambrano had been rocked in the 7th (and his pitch count was getting up there) everyone would have asked where Marmol was. Plus, they want to bring Zambrano back for Game 4, which would be hard if he had pitched 120 pitches yesterday.

#31 of 241 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,178 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 02:40 AM

The Phillies could be looking at a sweep if the middle of their lineup doesn't step up to the plate (no pun intended).

Not going to win with Chase Utley and Ryan Howard collectively striking out 7 times. I think Utley struck out 3 times on 9 pitches.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - October
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#32 of 241 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,503 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 04 2007 - 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C
I think Utley struck out 3 times on 9 pitches.

I think it was four times on 13 pitches. That's hard to do.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#33 of 241 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Perry
Piniella was second-guessed for taking Zambrano out after six innings in a tie game, but Marmol has been a stud all year. If Zambrano had been rocked in the 7th (and his pitch count was getting up there) everyone would have asked where Marmol was. Plus, they want to bring Zambrano back for Game 4, which would be hard if he had pitched 120 pitches yesterday.
I do not understand Lou's decision at all. Z had thrown only 85 pitches (his second lowest pitch count of the season) in 6 innings. He could have easily pitched the 7th and stayed below 100 pitches.

The biggest problem I have with it (and I'm not a Cub fan, but from a strategy standpoint) is that Lou is saving him for game 4. But this is a best-of-5 series, there may not be a game 4. That's what really makes me question the decision.

#34 of 241 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Seaver
I don't know about an easy time, but the Angels' style of play - hack away for singles and run - is a pretty poor match for Boston's top three. Beckett and Schilling just don't walk people, and they've got very solid defense. Since the Angels don't hit a lot of home runs, they're going to need to string several hits together, and that's not going to happen enough barring a Matsuzaka Meltdown inning or two on Friday.

If Wakefield and/or Lester were starting in this series, it would be different - you can run at will on Wake and Lester's game plan seems to be "nibble at the strike zone until you have to throw something down the middle, put many people on base, and hope for a double play" (God, I hate watching Lester pitch) - but that's not happening.

Agree with all. I don't know who drove me more crazy, 2007 Lester or 2004 Lowe. DLowe was crazy as a shithouse rat and he drove me nuts watching him - Right up until he won every series clinching playoff game. Posted Image

#35 of 241 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,178 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 11:03 AM

Why did Charlie Manuel take out Kyle Kendrick in the 4th inning? I thought it was a bit premature, and it came to bite him in ass with Kaz Matsui hitting that grand slam.

The Phillies are looking at getting swept. At least it won't happen at home. With Jamie Moyer starting Game 3, and the next 2 at Coors Field, I just don't see the Phillies winning any of those games.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - October
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#36 of 241 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,164 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted October 04 2007 - 02:26 PM

i didnt know they kept mesa on the roster.

why why why.

condrey i'm fine with but sheesh geary has to be a better choice.
facebook.com/whotony

#37 of 241 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted October 05 2007 - 06:01 AM

Cubs are looking at a sweep as well. Poor managing decisions cost them game one.

#38 of 241 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,503 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 05 2007 - 12:11 PM

The Indians are pulling out all the stops against the Yanks...including a plague of gnats! Posted Image

#39 of 241 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,503 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted October 05 2007 - 05:02 PM

I love when Manny hits walk-off homeruns. Posted Image

I hate when Manny poses at home plate. Posted Image

==============================

Four division series...all four at 2-0 after two games. Surprising.

#40 of 241 OFFLINE   Joseph S

Joseph S

Screenwriter

• 2,865 posts

Posted October 05 2007 - 05:32 PM

If you look up at the sky tomorrow night... You might still catch a glimpse of Manny's comet Posted Image

It's also so much nicer to be able to archive the Sox playoff games in real HD and not Faux HD.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow