What's new

Hollywood Video Liquidation Sales (1 Viewer)

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
Just found out that a lot of Hollywood Video stores across the country will be closing. "Most" will remain open, but less profitable locations will be folding. Liquidation sales are said to be in effect. I'm not sure if any stores in my city are closing but I have found some great deals on previously-viewed titles over the last couple weeks.

All previously viewed titles priced 12.99-14.99 are on sale for $7.99. $9.99 dvds are on sale for $3.99, and those normally priced at $5.99 are just $1.99.

Picked up some good indies for $1.99 each: "The Woodsman" (w/Kevin Bacon), "Down in the Valley" (w/Edward Norton), "The Squid and the Whale," "Transamerica," "Junebug," and Robert Altman's "Tanner on Tanner." Grabbed a few of the $3.99 discs as well, including "The New World" which was in mint condition. Got the 2-disc "Letters From Iwo Jima" for $7.99.

The last year or so I've been buying a lot of pre-viewed discs from both Blockbuster and Holywood, and I have to say that the dvds from Hollywood Video are generally in much nicer condition than Blockbuster's. Plus, with Hollywood you get the original keep cases--unlike BB--and I've gotten a couple that even have the original inserts.

I for one will be sorry to see these stores go. Hope it's just a few like they say. Worth checking out the prices if there's a store near you.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you saying all stores are having the closeout, even if they aren't closing?

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
The stores that are closing are said to have "Liquidation Sale" signs in their windows. The four stores in my area don't have these signs but they still have excellent prices on pre-viewed titles ($1.99 through 7.99). I'll try to track down a list of the closing store locations.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I stopped by my local store, which IS closing, and it has typical "Liquidation" deals. In other words, marketing hype and prices nowhere near what Casey found. They are offering the honor of buying TV shows for $7.50 PER DISC. Woohoo. Most titles are at near retail prices for new. Basically, everything 20-25% off their regular, bloated prices. Oh well.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A specific price example was Down in the Valley, which Casey found for $1.99. At the local closing store, it was the the completely resistable price of 20% off the marked $14.99, or $12.00.

Of course, people were sweeping up the "deals". Put a "Store Closing" sign in the window and suddenly people are willing to pay whatever you ask.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
My local one is closing too, thanks for the notice or I might not have swung by to look. The prices are not yet too good to pass up, but they're probably going to do incremental reductions.

The "latest releases" are currently 20% off, and they appear to be the latest releases from a few months ago; I overheard that the very latest releases were actually boxed up and sent back to headquarters.

The catalog titles are being sold for about $8 each at the moment. I spent a good half hour walking the catalog aisles, and saw plenty that I'd spend $2 on, but $8 is too much for most of them.

I did score on one title. I found a particular DVD that normally sells for more than a hundred dollars for $8, and it hadn't been rented so it was good as new (minus the insert).

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Can't say I'm surprised (about the many stores closing), what with renting through the mail and all. Heck, I don't even do that anymore. Not when I can get standard def DVDs out of the Red Box machine at the supermarket for $1 per night! That's where I do 99% of my standard def rental now.

Mark

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
If I say, people may race to the other Hollywood Video stores and find it (assuming their store is an older one), and ebay it, and devalue it! So I must stay mum ...until my auction ends.

I will say it was not a Criterion though. By the time I got there, that section was essentially gone.

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a handful of locations that will be closing in November:

COLORADO:
2100 28th St. (Boulder)
8031 Wadsworth Blvd. (Arvada)
3305 S. Broadway (Englewood)
5894 S. Zang St. (Littleton)
4515 John F. Kennedy Parkway (Fort Collins)

AUSTIN, TEXAS:
4477 S. Lamar Blvd.
10710 Research Blvd.
6800 Westgate Blvd.
13776 U.S. Highway 183 N
5770 N. Mopac Expressway

HOUSTON, TEXAS:
3747 Westheimer Rd
Memorial and Dairy Ashford

INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA:
5210 E. Thompson Rd.
1345 W. Southport Rd.
3103 English Ave.
9021 E. 38th St.
3820 N. College Ave.
4401 E. 10th St.

VIRGINIA:
7479 Hargett Blvd. (Gloucester)
4740 George Washington Memorial Highway (Yorktown)
1008A Portsmouth Blvd. (Suffolk)
6465 College Park Square (Virginia Beach)
5300 Kemps River Drive (Virginia Beach)
3420 Virginia Beach Blvd. (Virginia Beach)
2005 Lynnhaven Parkway (Virginia Beach)

NASSAU COUNTY, NEW YORK:
Plainview
Mineola/ Carle Place
Hempstead

SYRACUSE, NEW YORK:
South Salina Street

PITTSBURGH, PA:
Ross, Lawrenceville, Aliquippa, New Brighton and Sarver

CINCINATTI, OHIO:
Montgomery Road

PENNSYLVANIA:
S Market Street (Elizabethtown)
Linglestown Rd (Harrisburg)
E Market Street (York)
Lincoln Highway E (Chambersburg)

WISCONSIN:
1705 S. Webster Ave. (Green Bay)

ARKANSAS:
5919 Baseline Rd (Little Rock)
6219 Asher Ave (Little Rock)

UTAH:
University Mall Orem
Fort Union Salt Lake City
35th & Redwood RD West Valley
70th & Redwood RD West Jordan

ANNAPOLIS, MARYLAND:
Forrest Drive

NORTH CAROLINA
4031 Davis Drive (Morrisville )
1875 Aversboro Road (Garner )
1011 Beaver Creek Commons Drive (Apex )

ALABAMA:
Oporto Madrid Boulevard (Birmingham)
West Lake Mall (Bessemer)

ARIZONA:
6989 N. Hayden Road (Scottsdale)
16845 E. Shea Blvd. (Fountain Hills)
7430 S. 48th St. (Phoenix/Tempe)
1241 E. Chandler Blvd. (Ahwatukee Foothills)
4711 E. Bell Road (Northeast Phoenix)

CHATTANOOGA, TENNESSE:
Gunbarrel Road

If you're wondering about stores in your area, check the "Store Locator" link in Chris S.'s post. If a particular store near you isn't listed, then it's likely to close.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I live in Pennsylvania and have three Hollywood Videos in driving distance and none of them are closing. All three seem to do absolutely no business at all and if they aren't closing, I can't imagine how poorly these ones perform.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The HV I usually go to is closing as well. Unfortunately, the deals aren't anything to write home about, and the only HD stuff they had was 1 PS3 game and a couple of X360 games.

Too bad. . .I used to enjoy stopping there after work when they had 3-for-$25 specials.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Has the percentage dropped yet? Anyone know their schedule of the price drops? They start at 20% off... then what?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was just in the store closest to me last night. No change in prices. Newest titles to the "previously viewed" section are still $14.99.

The current deal is Buy 2 Get 2 free.

I don't think any near me are closing...but, then again, we've got VERY FEW Blockbuster stores in the area.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
As my nearest store, catalog titles off the shelves are now $6, and recent releases (not too recent IMO -- stuff like Superman Returns) are now 30% to 40% off, mostly 40%.

And they have not sold very much.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
One of the stores near me is closing and has the signs out, but I haven't bothered to stop in, since none of the local stores carry HD DVD or BD, and that's all I'm really in the market for right now.

I'm a bit surprised that this one is closing, since there are a lot of people living around it, but, on the other hand, it is only about a mile from the one I normally use. They must be using the Waffle House or Tim Horton's store placement model. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
An older non-Criterion title that sells for $100+ and was "never" rented at a Hollywood Video store....

Hmmmm. Not coming to me...although I bet there are many titles that could fit that description. Color me curious, too. :D

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Ken Russell -- kitchy director of camp classics like Lair of the White Worm with Amanda Donohoe -- has several out of print films, and a dedicated fan base.

The one I found at the closing Hollywood Video was Salome's Last Dance, found in the comedy section. Bought it for $8 and was pleased to find it hadn't been rented before (no scratches -- maybe someone really careful rented it). Sold it on ebay for $80.

It sells on Amazon reseller for $160 on up to the middle $200s. A scratched-but-playable disc found by someone else at another Hollywood Video store, went for $88 a few days ago. So I figured, $80 was fair since the one I found, even though perfect condition, was missing its insert.

I only recognized it as rare because I have it myself -- from back when it was not rare. Great flick -- if you like Ken Russell's outlandish style. Frankly if I did not already have it myself I'd have kept it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks