• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 JonnyB

JonnyB

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted September 28 2007 - 03:32 AM

Hey Gang -

I am setting up a home theater in my newly finished basement family room. The primary use will be for movies / TV. I'll be putting in a new Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma in a wall unit of sorts that was built for the space. I

I need to find speakers (will be using 5.1 setup) that will pass muster with the wife. She has more of a modern & clean aesthetic when it comes to these sorts of things, something that would blend well with the new TV. She definitely *doesn't like* the more traditional wooden-grain box speaker look. Also, the front L/R need to be relatively narrow (<9"). Total speaker budget = $2,500. I can use my existing HSU sub if necessary.

I've seen the Deftech Mythos advertised here on the forums, that could be an option. I'm sure many of you have encountered this sort of issue, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 of 15 Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted September 28 2007 - 03:58 AM

How about going all in-ceiling and avoid the cabinet design issue altogether? (if existing construction will allow) I used all Energy Veritas Custom 2.0CMs and I've been extremely pleased. They're extremely adjustable. Separate variable mid and highs, switchable from dipole to bipole, boundary compensation. http://members.cox.n...la/ht_table.htm

My Pioneer Elite plasma was going above the fireplace to begin with, so the distance from the image to the ceiling might be closer than you have planned.
I'm a ****ing idiot 'cause I can't make a lamp?
No, you're a genius 'cause you can't make a lamp.
What do you know about trigonometry?
I could care less about trigonometry.
Did you know without trigonometry there would be no engineering? Without lamps there'd be no light.

#3 of 15 John Garcia

John Garcia

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 11,487 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted September 28 2007 - 04:26 AM

Paradigm has the Millennia line that might work for her:

http://www.paradigm.....-2-20.paradigm
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#4 of 15 MartinShaver

MartinShaver

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted September 28 2007 - 07:49 AM

Mine really likes the Harman Kardon HKTS-15 set that I picked up. She called the speakers "cute" :|

#5 of 15 Ennsio

Ennsio

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted September 28 2007 - 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinShaver
Mine really likes the Harman Kardon HKTS-15 set that I picked up. She called the speakers "cute" :|

My friend has that system. Sounds fine in his very small tv room, but I don't know how it would do in a big room.

How do you like the sound of the HKTS speakers, Martin? I've only ever listened to Band of Brothers on my friend's system, not music.

#6 of 15 MartinShaver

MartinShaver

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted September 28 2007 - 11:11 AM

I'll let you know tomorrow. I just picked up my receiver so I am anxiously waiting to go home and hook it all up Posted Image

#7 of 15 MartinShaver

MartinShaver

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted September 29 2007 - 11:00 AM

I hooked them up and they sound OK. Not like they did at the store. What are the chances that they had everything at full. LIke the sub on max and the volume up at max? Also what about having a different receiver than what they said they had hooked up?

#8 of 15 gene c

gene c

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,650 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted September 29 2007 - 12:00 PM

Quote:
I hooked them up and they sound OK. Not like they did at the store.
Speakers often sound quite different at home than they do in the store. Stores are very poor places to audition speakers. Poor room acoustics, strange speaker placement, mis-matched equipment, improper setup/calibration, wrong source material (unless you brought your own), receiver settings all out of whack, tons of background noise, etc. etc. But they usually sound better at home.
Quote:
What are the chances that they had everything at full. LIke the sub on max and the volume up at max?
About 100%! Got to compete with all that background noise. But loud doesn't mean better.
Quote:
Also what about having a different receiver than what they said they had hooked up?.
I'd be surprised if they even knew what receiver was hooked up. And sound-wise, your H/K 247 should be more receiver than those speakers need anyway. But their avr probably had more than the 50 wpc of your conservatively rated 247. More than likely a whole bunch of things accidently conspired against you to make them sound better in the store. But unless they quickly start sounding better I'd consider returning them for something else.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#9 of 15 SethH

SethH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,867 posts

Posted September 30 2007 - 05:57 AM

The B&W VM1's run about $200/speaker. That would leave you room in the budget to pick up a nice SVS "end table" to set next to the couch -- if you know what I mean.

#10 of 15 MartinShaver

MartinShaver

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 12:40 PM

I did some tweaking, moving, and such, and they sound a lot better now. Posted Image

#11 of 15 Marty M

Marty M

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted October 11 2007 - 07:51 AM

I have been fortunate that I haven't had to consider the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) when I have chosen my HT equipment. My wife knows that Home Theater is my hobby, and she usually lets me make the final decisions. Like I know that flower gardening is her hobby, and she doesn't have to consult with me before purchasing plants.

I would like to relate a funny story from a posting here about 8 years ago. When I was completing my home theater, I started a thread that asked - How do I convince my wife I need a sub-woofer? One person suggested I just go out and purchase one, and when my wife asked what that was in the corner, I should tell her it was a de-humidifier. We both still joke about that.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#12 of 15 William Creamer

William Creamer

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted October 11 2007 - 08:42 AM

You should consider wall mounted Magnapan speakers. Since they mount on the wall they take no floor space and it will get the wire off the floor too. They are only about 1 inch thick, and they have no wood trim. They are covered completely in fabric. You can get them in black or off white. The off white will nearly blend into your walls (if they are white) and be the most unobtrusive speaker you or your wife have ever seen. When not in use they will fold flat against the wall. They are 46 inches long, but since they are so thin and wall mounted, I think they are a good option - and so does my wife. The center channel is a bit pricey, but the other speakers are relatively inexpensive, the overall set up will fit your budget. You will need that subwoofer. I have them in black mounted on either side of the TV (which is black) and on the back wall. Most people who see them think they are some type of sleek modern art or a fancy room divider, very few who see them when they are not "on" believe me when I tell them they are speakers. The WOW factor alone is fun, the fact that they sound incredible isn't bad either. Take your wife to a dealer for a demo, show her them wall mounted in white, and see what she thinks.

#13 of 15 MatrixDweller

MatrixDweller

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted October 11 2007 - 09:17 AM

Quote:
I hooked them up and they sound OK. Not like they did at the store.
Speakers sometimes take a little bit of time to break in and sound their best. Room acoustics also come into play.

Quote:
Also what about having a different receiver than what they said they had hooked up?
A receiver with an auto EQ, if yours doesn't, will make it sound better in the room. Also the higher end receivers produce cleaner sound, have more advanced DACs, more power with more dynamic range, better bass management, etc.

The HKTS-15 has power hungry speakers at only 86dB sensitivity yet can only handle 10-80W. I wouldn't recommend such a small speaker for any room larger than 100 ft².

Back to the original topic:

I'm a big fan of Klipsch for the sound quality. Aesthetically the reference line are like your average box speaker. They do have a more futuristic looking RVX package though (klipsch.com).

Something like the RVX-42 LCR can be used for the front three speakers. LCR's are the most aesthetic for flat panel TVs IMHO when all are wall mounted. In-walls are the next best thing if not better but require a bit more work.

#14 of 15 Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted October 11 2007 - 02:47 PM

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 in piano black.

#15 of 15 DaveMcS

DaveMcS

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted October 12 2007 - 02:22 AM

Orb Audio has a cuteness factor that may sway the WAF in your direction or go for one of the Yamaha Digital sound Processors (YSP-800/900/3000/4000)
While not a traditional 5.1 setup..they are supposed to do pretty well!

Back to Speakers, Subwoofers & Headphones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow