What's new

Life season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Life airs on NBC at 10 p.m. EDT.

Sneak peek review:

Just when you thought they couldn't find another spin on police procedural dramas, "Life" offers viewers the offbeat lead character of Charlie Crews, a police officer convicted of a grisly murder, and sent to prison with a life sentence, but 12 years later, he's exonerated, received a hefty settlement from the city, and gets a job as a homicide detective on the police force. He doesn't have to work, but chooses to work in law enforcement for his own reasons. He's got a zen attitude toward all things, and being gone for 12 years offers a few laughs at all the Jetson-like gadgets and technology we all take for granted, but manages to surprise Charlie when progress rears its head in everyday life.

I liked the character of Charlie Crews, and it hints at a longer subplot to tie over the episodic cases of the show. It doesn't hurt that the cast includes Sara Shahi (Charlie's partner and immediate superior on the police force) and also Brooke Langton (the lawyer who never gave up on him). Alan Arkin plays a financial advisor/friend.

I'll give it at least half a season, but I suspect I'll be in it for the long haul. I liked this pilot moreso than Journeyman's.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I really enjoyed it. It's on my must watch list. In my book his lawyer and partner are supremely hot women. Hint, partial to brunettes.

Abe D

Agent
Real Name
Abe D
Great episode that nicely sets up the premise and characters. I love that the main character, Charlie, is out of touch with modern day advances, such as the camera cell phone and the internet ('what's IM?'). It's also nice to see Sarah Shahi again after missing her in last season's the L word. Her backstory is a bit iffy, but the chemistry between her and Charlie more than makes up for it.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I wanted to see this because I liked Lewis from Band of Brothers and isn't Robin Weigert from Deadwood in this? Does she have much of a part ? But I also Liked Last Seasons RAINES, and NBC axed that quickly.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I thought it was pretty good. I've never seen House, but it kind of felt like "let's make a cop version of House." Maybe that's totally wrong, though. I wasn't really comfortable seeing a dead boy scout lying there. They could have kept that off camera.

I don't see it having much staying power. For example, I doubt if seven seasons from now, they'd be referencing his time in prison too often. Maybe if they treat it like Prison Break was supposed to be treated at first and end it after the people who framed him are taken down, it could work.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Charlie showed more sensitivity in one episode than House has shown in 3 seasons. Charlie's got a retro way of looking at things since he missed out on the past decade of technological "progress", which gives him a way of working problems outside the box.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I just figured they are both quirkier than normal characters. I like Charlie better than House, but I've never seen House, so that doesn't mean anything. ;)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Recorded it last night and watched it tonight and I really like the show. Definetly will be watching it, and the whole thing about him finding out who framed him well that alone will probably keep me watching.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

To be honest, it felt more like Monk rather than House, with everyone having to deal with his odd behavior.

Personally, I found it to be a bit too odd and not what I was expecting. Maybe I'll get used to it after a while.

Jason

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I liked the pilot and it is now on my DVR season list. I certainly hope NBC gives this show a full run.

Just as an interesting side note, the state of California shields itself from being sued for wrongful conviction. There is a set payment schedule so for 12 years in prison the most a person would get is 120K. It certainly is nice to be able to make all the rules.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
That would seem applicable to state liability. Was it ever established which government body Crews sued? I just assumed it was the city or county of Los Angeles.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
10/03/07

I like the way this show is balacing Charlie's hunt for who framed him, the current police case he and his partner are working on, and his philandering ways.

I almost didn't recognize Meredith Salenger. Seeing Christine Hendricks (as Charlie's father's fiancee) on the show was a nice surprise. Dani's still got her "picking up married men" hang-up going on. Charlie was kinda bold getting his real estate agent to get him inside the house where the murders took place (of which he was framed).

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Really good show, I also like the whole premise of him working on a current case meanwhile working on his own. I'm more anxious about his case than the others because the way he has it layed out looks like it was a pretty elaborate plan to frame him. I actually like the interview clips of those involved of the framing gives you some history. His ex-partner surprised me with the badge and gun, he has someone else he can trust. Good episode.The plot thickens with the missing daughter who appears to be alive

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Another good one. Hope it stays around. I like how things are not so cut-and-dried just because he's been exonerated - some people sympathize, some people vilify, even those who were your friends.

It was interesting to see Max Greenfield play mean and dangerous after his good boy turn in Veronica Mars. I would be interested in seeing more of what he can do along those lines.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The plot point with the daughter is not a spoiler -- at least not any more.

I thought the point is that the daughter was in fact home during the time of the murders, and not away as in the police report.

I also (briefly) thought she might have been the fiancee, but that would have been way too "clever". Glad they didn't go there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks