Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Vista: 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Dalton

Dalton

Screenwriter

• 1,199 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 01:59 PM

What are the advantages of the 64 bit over the 32 bit? Also i assume the 64 bit is backwards compatible with 32 bit software?

Thanks,
Dalton

#2 of 4 Tekara

Tekara

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 02:56 PM

My advice is to stick with 32bit for now; it's a lot easier dealing with drivers in 32bit vista right now.

Even in SP1 vista64 requires that all drivers be digitally signed which means that you won't find drivers for older hardware or for hardware from smaller vendors that didn't go through the process of getting it signed which basically boils down to you being SOL.
"Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous
"The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai

#3 of 4 Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 03:13 PM

I think what you want to know is that 64 bit won't do you any good UNLESS you have 64-bit software.

Glenn

#4 of 4 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 04:28 PM

Vista 64 bit runs Windows XP & 32 bit applications using a function called "Windows on Windows" (WoW) which can cause a performance hit of up to 30%.

The advantage of 64 bit is this:

* Access to more then 3GB of RAM without PAE and in multiple configurations.
* Access to multi-teratybe of single point services
* Applications that are 64bit of course, benefit.

But yes, there are compatibility issues. Let me give you one that often gets mentioned: Adobe Flash Player (you know, Flash? In websites?) will not install in 64bit Internet Explorer. So, you have to run 32bit Internet explorer to run flash Posted Image

For right now, unless you have a tangible reason, go with 32bit... it's sad.. MS could have changed this is they would have pushed more.. but they didn't, they bailed.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07