What's new

HTF HD-DVD Review: Meet Joe Black (1 Viewer)

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
ronsreviews_covers_83395.jpg">_ [b]

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Gary, thanks for the review of this fine film. I had the opportunity to watch this a few nights ago and totaly agree with you on your accessement of the video and audio quality. Top notch is what this title deserved, and top notch with what Universal delivered.

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I would have actually thought it would have looked horrible because the DVD transfer was so shitty. Dripping with Edge Enhancement galore and tons of un-natural film grain/dirt that destroyed the picture quality.

I'm seriously happy to read that it looks this good on HD-DVD. I'll most definitely be getting it now! Too bad it still has EE though. :frowning: Why on earth do they continue to do that?!?

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
David, I only saw rather minor EE on a few mins of the film, a total non-issue, I struggled to give this a 5, but that meant a 4.5 :)

-Gary

David Ruiz

Second Unit
Even better, Gary. How big is your display device? You have to remember I'm using a 127" 16:9 screen so if there is EE, I will definitely be able to see it from miles away and it'll be more pronounced due to the size than anything else.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
David, I run a 34.5" x 83" 2.40:1 scope setup, I know exactly what you mean dude, check out my Fockers review I just posted :frowning:

-Gary

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Nice review, Gary and I agree with your summation. This was a great, underrated film that TOOK IT'S TIME. And I dug it.
They also filmed the coffee shop scene at a diner 3 blocks away from my NYC apt. (It's on B'way between 101st and 102nd st)]
We are moving back there in November with mini-Mack!!!!!

Good review, bro. Look forward to picking this up!

:)

David Ruiz

Second Unit
Thanks for the heads up, Gary. Just read it. I *HATE* EE! It's gotta be the worst thing ever invented in the history of the world. :frowning:

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I'm not good at categorizing video quality, but, to me, the picture had some sort of processed look to it, whether it was edge-enhancement or some sort of sharpening applied. Overall, the picture was more than acceptable and looked high-def (as opposed to having a soft transfer).

I had not seen the movie before and really enjoyed the movie, it had a lighter touch than I had expected. Ending seemed a little rushed (which is hard to explain for a 3 hour movie).

Andy_MT

Second Unit
it was a sweet and sour experience for me. the cinematography ... ding! ding! ding!, very nice thank you. now i don't know whether it's because i was watching on a 720 projector and it was exagerating the EE, but it was a little over my comfort level. and some details in the background got a little soft (whether that was the photography or the extra processing/sharpening i don't know). for example, when anthony hopkins walked into the room to meet joe black for the first time, he was in the distance and surrounded by a halo. that's just crappy for a next generation "look and sound of perfect" format i think.

this HD-DVD would have been fantastic if we had had someone better working on the transfer/HD master. but sadly we got stuck with whomever. and it's a shame because those scenes that aren't affected by EE looked great.

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
for those interested in what this release can do in the best parts, I suggest the scene early in the film with Pitt in the restaurant, a lovely image

I am very sensitive to EE and I just didn't see much at all on this, every setup is different though ;)

-Gary

thanks dude ;)

-Gary

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
A very succinct review, IMO. This film looks AMAZING in HD-DVD. It's a major step-up from the last regular DVD issue which was quite good, even upconverted. The depth is what takes my breath away...scene after scene reveals new details, added nuances and richer color than I've seen before.

Can this film truly be three hours long? It seems much shorter each time I see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks