What's new

Reaper season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The CW trots out their new show, Reaper, tonight at 9 p.m. EDT.

Sam (Brett Harrison, also Sam from The Loop) was born of parents who made a deal with the devil for his soul before he was conceived, and that means doing the devil's bidding, like tracking down souls that have escaped from hell and are on earth again. Ray Wise plays the devil, and Sock is his best friend (Sock is short for Wysocki). It's sort of like the male version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in spots. Kevin Smith directed the pilot episode that airs tonight.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Why are they replaying this on Thursday after Smallville? Are they testing it as a replacement for Supernatural?

I believe Wysocki is Tyler Labine, who was amusing on Invasion. Still, I'm not going to try this one. The only supernatural show I wanted to see this fall was Babylon Fields, and it didn't get picked up.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I saw this a few weeks ago.

Very funny. and lots of fun.
Love the "Socks" character.

I'm curious to know how many different weapons Sam will be given to do battle with.

Sort of a Brimstone/13 ghosts of Scooby-Doo/Buffy

I hope his friends interact and help him out with the baddies...like in Buffy

DON'T MISS IT!!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I checked it out since I am a big fan of Kevin Smith. I thought the show had some funny stuff and it has a likable cast (Ray Wise was excellent as always). I assume Smith added some of his in-jokes like hockey and jokes about straight guys who are a little gay.

Overall, I'll watch this when I'm around on a Tuesday night.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I thought it was okay, but just not my thing. I'm not a fan of that kid either (the one from 'The Loop' who plays the main character).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Definitely room for improvement. It's a show that doesn't feel like it's got the characters quite figured out yet, outside of Sock.

That said, it's a terrific premise and the characters are likable. It's not nearly as good as "Dead Like Me" but follows similiar territory in that the protagonists' lives don't really begin until their lives as they knew them were over. Christine Willes (the incredible Delores Herbig on "Dead Like Me") has a terrific cameo as the sassy horned DMV clerk.

I also like the Home Depot-esque setting. A lot of the tools they'll probably need would be found in a store like that.

Sock and the Devil are fun, well-crafted characters ably performed. The rest of the cast needs time to find the characters. Still, a very strong episodic format that could be sustainable for years. If the writing sharpens up, I could see this becoming one of my favorites.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I enjoyed the premise and the show overall. I really hate Tyler Labine, though, and the Sock character may turn me off the show. I liked Bret Harrison and Ray Wise, though. And the first demon effects were pretty cool.

The ratings for the first ep weren't that great, even for the CW. They should pair this with "Supernatural".

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I enjoyed this first episode. It was a little sit-comy in places, But fun.
I will watch for a while and see where it goes.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I thought it was funny.. The sock character was freaking hilarious... The scene in the bathroom still cracks me up..

On a side note, are they killing off supernatural?

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I enjoyed it. Thought it was funny, liked the cast, Missy is hot....Season Pass.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
For the first time. I finally am going to watch a show on the CW. :)

I just hope that since it is on CW, that they will give it longer than the big networks before yanking it.

I only wish my CW was in HD. This, and Survivor are the only shows I am watching that are not in HD. They look bad, now that I am spoiled.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I got around to watching this last night. A slight premise to be sure, and fairly mindless fun... but, I was entertained throughout! I'm in for the season! :D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The ratings, while not spectacular, were an improvement from "Veronica Mars" in the time slot last season (3.22 million versus average 2.5 million for "Mars"). More importantly, and the reason why the show has a good chance of sticking around even if that 3.22 million declines, is that it brought a massive influx of male viewers to a network that traditionally doesn't have many. The CW, and the WB before it, have long wanted a "male" show. Even "male" shows like "Smallville" and "Supernatural" tend to skew more female than they should.
The "Reaper" premiere drew the best ratings in the male demographics the CW has ever had -- 70 percent more men than "Veronica Mars".

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I loved the pilot, Sock reminds me of Jack Black when he's in between his most maniacal and most subdued lol.

The show has a mean streak too that sets it apart from the usual fare and it fits, but I didn't care for the dog meets car door joke, that was just wrong.

Did it occur to anyone else that this is the second new show this season to feature an exaggerated and parodied version of existing super stores? Chuck works at Buy More and Sam works at whatever the heck that store was called, can't recall it now lol.

Flame guy was very cool as well, i'm definitely on-board. :emoji_thumbsup:

Rocky F

Second Unit

Sam works at "The Work Bench" (Home Depot), which is right next door to a "LargeMart" (Sam's Club/Costco.) I actually watched Chuck and Reaper back to back.

UngersPride

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad
A big surprise.

I didn't think I would like it, but it grabbed me with its very witty writing. Funny show and likeable characters. For once the critics were right.

A "Ghostbusters" type series.

I'll be sticking with this one. I hope they also develop the characters and make it less episodic as the series progresses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks