-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

A few words about...™ The Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland Collection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#41 of 51 FrankXS

FrankXS

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted September 28 2007 - 05:40 AM

Just picked up my copy of Mickey/Judy and perused the contents over lunch with a friend. UNBELIEVEABLE !!!!!!!!!!! Is it watch my PHILLIES play for the Eastern championship or start on Mickey and Judy ? Maybe 2 films this afternoon before the game and the rest tomorrow.

I only hope that the announcement lull from George and friends at Warner is only because of all the work getting the Kubrick set/Blade Runner and the Harry Potter set out the end of the year. Unusual titles announced for the beginning of the year (The Ritz and Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner). If they are not selling enough titles, would they release these or a Harlow set or Forbidden Hollywood set or Joan Crawford or Bette Davis to get a bigger sales total ?

THANK YOU George, John Fricke, Mickey Rooney and everyone involved with this Mickey/Judy collection !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#42 of 51 Mark VH

Mark VH

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted September 28 2007 - 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankXS
Just picked up my copy of Mickey/Judy and perused the contents over lunch with a friend. UNBELIEVEABLE !!!!!!!!!!! Is it watch my PHILLIES play for the Eastern championship or start on Mickey and Judy ? Maybe 2 films this afternoon before the game and the rest tomorrow.

I only hope that the announcement lull from George and friends at Warner is only because of all the work getting the Kubrick set/Blade Runner and the Harry Potter set out the end of the year. Unusual titles announced for the beginning of the year (The Ritz and Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner). If they are not selling enough titles, would they release these or a Harlow set or Forbidden Hollywood set or Joan Crawford or Bette Davis to get a bigger sales total ?

THANK YOU George, John Fricke, Mickey Rooney and everyone involved with this Mickey/Judy collection !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um, I'd say start on Mickey and Judy, since the Mets are going all the way.

Ugh, no, couldn't even get through that sentence without crying (I'm a Met fan). I need a drink.

#43 of 51 Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,881 posts

Posted September 28 2007 - 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark VH
Um, I'd say start on Mickey and Judy, since the Mets are going all the way.

Ugh, no, couldn't even get through that sentence without crying (I'm a Met fan). I need a drink.

It's a moot point- the Yankees are VERY hungry for another World Series, and what Steinbrenner wants, Steinbrenner gets!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#44 of 51 Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 978 posts

Posted September 28 2007 - 10:15 AM

I live with a fellow film enthusiast, and we brought this home last night...we were both impressed with the packaging and contents...I'm currently enjoying the commentary track on GIRL CRAZY...make no mistake, this is a first class release. Buy it.

#45 of 51 Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted September 28 2007 - 10:36 AM

This is another wonder from Warner. I echo all the praise here, and have already bought a few extra copies to give as Xmas gifts....it's THAT good !

Kudos to all involved....

#46 of 51 ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait

Screenwriter

• 2,187 posts

Posted September 28 2007 - 02:00 PM

RAH,

Your post about this has convinced me to put this on my Christmas wish. I've never seen any of the movies in question (ducks rotten vegetables and fruit thrown his way). I would buy, but at the moment I'm a poor college student trying to limit his DVD purchases.

#47 of 51 ScottHM

ScottHM

Second Unit

• 290 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted October 01 2007 - 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve...O
The packaging of this set is absolutely wonderful and first class all the way. No reasonable person who has actually seen it should complain about it. How WHV was able to offer 5 discs, a hard cover book, and 20 good sized stills for such a low price is beyond me but I'm more than happy to continue supporting their product.
My DVDs arrived from Amazon today. I agree that the set is a good value, and the packing is high quality.

Having said that, I hope Warner (and Universal) immediately stop planning multi-disc sets with packaging that contains overlapping discs. There are much better alternatives out there.

Now it's time for me to pop in a DVD and see how things look from that perspective. Posted Image

---------------

#48 of 51 BernieV

BernieV

Stunt Coordinator

• 105 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 04:01 AM

Just added it to my DD wishlist. Makes me hope they'll release an Andy Hardy collection, Maisie, and other "B" series of the 30s some day.

#49 of 51 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,065 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted October 01 2007 - 05:38 AM

I did not receive a review copy until this past Saturday, so it will take me a few days to get through the whole thing. I'm not crazy about overlapping discs either, but the packaging of this set, including the hardbound book with the supplement DVD, disc tables of contents, John Fricke essays, etc. is otherwise so first class that I can't bring myself to complain.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#50 of 51 alistairKerr

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted October 01 2007 - 05:56 AM

Living in the UK, I just got my copy of this set today. All I can say is "wow"! This has to be the best release of 2007 by a long chalk. Superb packaging
(apart from these dratted overlapping discs), great films and extras, a bonus book and postcard set, all lovingly prepared for us film fans by Warners. I detect the fine hand of maestro George Feltenstein in all of this - many thanks, George!

Alistair

#51 of 51 Richard Matich

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted October 02 2007 - 11:31 AM

I got my copy Sunday and its wonderful. Another top job form Warners. Bring on more! Posted Image I also like the packaging. The overlap does not hurt me any. The fact that the outside is sturdy like that of the Sturges set makes me smile. No more plain cardboard. Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow