What's new

Can any of you turn off your alarm clock unconsciously in your sleep? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Just out of curiosity. And it reminded me when somebody in another thread in HARDWARE said:

The deal was I learned to turn my alarm clock off in my sleep senior year (don't get enough sleep and you can develop some pretty cool skills).
So i got this alarm clock that wakes me up every morning. Usually i gotta hit the snooze button like 6 times before i actually get up. But i had a period of time where i kept hitting the OFF button, and those days i was frequently late. Then even worse, i started to turn it off unconciously IN MY SLEEP! Argh, i didnt even know i turned off the alarm... argh...

Can any of you do that?

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Oh yeah. I do it all the time, but not on purpose. I've been late to many things as a result. For some reason I either turn the damn thing off in the middle of the night, or when it goes off in the morning. I don't even remember doing it half the time. Ain't that a booger.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Absolultely. I do this quite often when the alarm clock is right next to me.

I solved this problem by putting the alarm in reaching distance, but just barely, so I usually wake up just before I shut the thing off because I'm streching fairly far.

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
I’ll take it one step further.
I actually have my alarm clock on the other side of the room so I have to get out of bed to hit the SNOOZE bar.
Even so, I still do this 4-5 times each morning.
I usually set the alarm 40-50 minutes earlier than necessary to allow for this STRANGE behavior.
Usually it takes an elbow in the kidney from my wife before I finally get out of bed for good.
I guess she does this after getting tired of hearing the alarm go off every 9-minutes. :D:D:D
Shawn S

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I'm with you guys. I've done this several times. When I ABSOLUTELY have to get up in time, I move the alarm clock across the room so I have to get out of bed to turn off the darn thing.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I've lost count of the number of times I've woken up late, in a panic wondering why the hell my alarm didn't go off.

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
I also have my alarm clock across the room. I have to do a sit-up and stretch pretty far to turn it off, which usually wakes me up pretty good. I'm going to have to move it though, I'm starting to do those sit-ups subconciously :)
I have a friend who can answer the phone, carry on a conversation and not even sound sleepy, but then not remember a single word of the conversation later, because he actually was asleep! He sets his stereo in the living room to turn on in the mornings so he must actually walk into the living room to turn it off. He's probably the worst person I know for having trouble waking up.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I am having my alarm clock on the opposite side of the room as well, and I also get up three times at least just to hit the snooze button. I know it's stupid, I don't even fall asleep until the next time the alarm starts, but I guess it has become a ritual :)
A friend of mine at work has told me that he has got 6 (six!) alarm clocks spread around the apartment, so that he has got to get up to chut them off. He still manages to shut them off and go top bed again, and then wake up way too late wondering why the hell the alarm didn't wake him up. He's usually going on about his plans to find an alarm clock that sounds to obnoxiously louc and annoying that it will shake him out of it during his morning routine :)
I must admit I have a hard time believing it is possible to shut the alarm off and go to sleep again and not remember it, but I guess like me with my snooze button it is a bad habit from school days living alone with no responsibility whatsoever taking over too much...

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
To solve the problem of shutting off the alarm clock from across the room is to set up a timer or UHF remote to shut it off. (And take out the battery backup for those of you with those deluxe model alarm clocks)
Bwaahhahaha,
Jay "Me wanna make all you guys sleep" H
:D

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I usually get too used to an alarm every 8 months and have to get a new one, but the one sound that will always wake me up is the phone ringing. I had a program a while back that I put on my PC at work, and it would dial my home number when I wanted to wake up...worked every time. There is some classical conditioning that makes the sound of a phone tough to sleep through.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Yup, I turn it off in my sleep all the time... my wife gets up about 45 minutes before me, and the alarm clock is on my side of the bed. It always goes off, but I very rarely remember that I turned it off, when my alarm goes off. Works very well.
Of course, if I set an alarm for me, I always have to set TWO of them, so that I won't just turn it off and keep sleeping. :)
/Mike

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
I've been known to do this. The phone ringing won't make me up. I'll just sleep right through that even with the phone right next to the bed.
My alarm clock actually has two separate alarm settings. I keep the clock on the dresser on the opposite end of the room so I'm forced to get out of bed to hit the snooze button and then climb back into bed. I set the two alarms about 40 minutes apart and the time on the clock about 15 minutes early (to allow for snooze time).
I'm still sometimes late.:frowning:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as one who has the alarm clock on the other side of the room. Otherwise my day does not begin at 7am, but at 9am. :D

Duane_T

Stunt Coordinator
I end up changing alarm clocks about every two to three years - they just become less and less effective. I used to have a Kenwood stereo with an alarm function in another room. When I didn't trust myelf, I'd set it - real loud - and I had to get up and turn it off (although sometimes I would just crawl back into bed telling myself 'I'll just lie down for a few minutes...zzzzz).

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Even if the alarm is across the room, I will get out of bed, turn it off, and go right back to bed, somehow 'trusting' that I'll just rest for a few more minutes. The next thing I know, I'm racing around wondering how five minutes suddenly turned into an hour.
I like to tune the alarm to NPR's morning program. Just listening to the days news helps to wake me gradually, rather than a startling 'beep beep beep.' I realize that some people simply won't wake unless it's loud and annoying, but having that god forsaken beeping be the first thing I hear in the morning.... no sir, I don't like it. :)
Of course, for those happily married folk out there, the best way to wake is the libido alarm clock
. :) It's surprising how effective that one is, and it puts a positive spin on the day.
Joseph

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
My mother has the opposite of this behavior. In fact, to wake up on time, she doesn't even need an alarm clock. She mentally counts out how many hours until she needs to wake up, and voila! Pretty amazing sometimes. Personally, I allot two snooze sessions so that I can ease into my day, especially in the winter time. No way am I just hopping up out of bed at the first ring. TF

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I thought my alarm clock was broken.
I've always had my alarm clock on the other side of the room. I don't use the snooze at all. (Don't even know which button it is, and I've had the same clock radio for more than 10 years.) Every once in a long while I'll shut it off and then lie back down for a couple of minutes, waking up slowly. Once or twice I've fallen back to sleep, only to awake in an "I'm-gonna-be-late" panic.
Recently, however, the alarm hasn't been getting me up. Not all the time, mind you, but 7 or 8 times in the last 8 months or so. I thought that I must have set it incorrectly (mixed up the AM/PM, had the volume down, whatever), but it always checks out okay. I've tested it and it seems to work just fine.
I wondered if it was possible that I slept through the alarm. Would it eventually just shut itself off? I'm not sure, maybe after a long time. But seriously, this thing is so loud, I don't think anyone could sleep through it. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, and made a mental note to get a new alarm clock.
Before I got a new clock, something happened... I was suddenly falling onto my bed, my ankle hurt, and I had no idea what was going on. I was dazed and confused, just staring into space for a minute. I put on my glasses and saw that it was 6:31 AM. I realized that my alarm clock must have gone off 1 minute ago. I had absolutely no memory of this whatsoever. If I hadn't stepped on my shoe and twisted my ankle, which woke me up, I would have been back in bed none the wiser.
I don't know what to do now. No need for a new clock. I'm shopping for a new brain. :frowning:

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone here use a TV in their room to wake themselves up? I usually turn it up quite loud, turn the TV off, and put the remote out of reach. It has a bad effect though because that ultrasonic sound TVs make when they're turned on now makes me cringe b/c every morning that's the first sound I hear and then immediately following is the morning news blasting.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
when I was in college, I also put my clock across the room. But that didn't work, so I bought another identical alarm clock and put it on the other other side of the room, both set to the same time. Turning them both off (and slaming into the mountains of dirty clothes in the middle of the room) helped me get my act together quickly.
And now I'm a well-adjusted member of society. :D
~~Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread