-

Photo
- - - - -

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Evil Dead II

Blu-ray Reviews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted September 23 2007 - 07:10 AM

Blu-ray Disc REVIEW

http://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/4/46/ronsreviews_covers_89098.jpg">
EVIL DEAD II

Posted Image
Distributor: Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment
Original Release: 1987
Length: 85 min
Genre: Horror

Resolution: 1080p
Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Colour/B&W: Colour
Disc Size: BD-50

Audio:
  • Uncompressed PCM 5.1 (16/48)
  • English Dolby Digital 5.1 surround
  • English Dolby Digital 2.0 mono

Subtitles: English SDH
    U.S. Film Rating: Unrated

Posted Image Posted Image

• Release Date: October 03, 2007

Film Rating: Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image / Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Dead By Dawn. That’s what director Sam Raimi’s demons chant in this less-than-scary sequel to the graphic blood oozing horror in 1981’s The Evil Dead. Evil Dead II offers copious amounts of blood, dancing corpses, heads gripped in a vice, and lots of chainsaw dismemberment. Sounds like a horror film, doesn’t it?

What makes this movie different than the original is that some of it turns slapstick with its humour and half of it is a remake of the original (minus the friends). Some of the material is repetitive such as Bobby Joe’s attack in the forest (making her character redundant in Evil Dead: The Musical - if you’ve had the pleasure to see that theatrical performance – I have, and it’s funny as hell). Still, it’s an entertaining 85 minutes as we watch Bruce Campbell as Ash, get tortured beyond belief in the quiet cabin in the woods.

This sequel introduces new characters; Annie, the daughter of Professor Raymond Knowby, her boyfriend, plus two hicks they used as guides to the cabin late at night. Upon their arrival to the cabin, they find Ash bloodied and handless, and the bodies of her parents no where to be found. The lock Ash in the cellar thinking he’s a killer, when the real demon is buried beneath them all. The newcomers will have to learn to trust Ash as they attempt to send the demons back to the place where they came from by using the missing pages in the Necronomicon, aka, the Book of the Dead.

Posted ImageVIDEO QUALITY: 2/5 Posted Image Posted Image

This is a disappointing release of Evil Dead II in high definition. It’s the same transfer used for the Book of the Dead DVD release a few years back. While the video does deliver high definition images with some better depth and colour improvements over the DVD, this can’t be the best this title could look in high definition. Original photography put aside, my first gripe is regarding the processed look of the image. One needs to look at the film grain to see that it doesn’t look natural at all; in fact much of the noise looks “fixed” rather than in motion, suggesting that something is wrong, something’s amidst. It isn’t a demon causing the problem either. This gives the image an unnaturally soft appearance and says that something else could have been done to prevent this. I would like to think that if the best film elements went back to the drawing board and were worked on from scratch, we’d see a much better result.

The DVD and laserdisc before had many shots out of focus. I used to wonder how much this would improve on a high def release and now I know the answer is not that much. The film is littered with soft and out of focus moments that may never be corrected in any future release because whatever has been captured on film is about as good as it’s going to get. Still, the improvements you will get over DVD are many. I find image contrast is better and colour resolution is better and much more vibrant. Blood (and all the many colours and shades of it to please the ratings board) has never look so good, and I’ve never noticed the colour of Ash’s clothes as nicely as I did on this release. Detail can be very good when the shots aren’t out of focus. For example, as Ash and Jake try to keep Henrietta in the cellar with their body weight on the trap door, textures in the wood floor and chains have never been so clear, and the cuts on Ash’s face overlapped with dripping sweat never appeared so noticeable before. This is a very variable release in terms of quality, but ultimately I’m left wanting for more. If you asked me how much of an improvement this release is over DVD I’d tell you there is, but at a rate much smaller than other titles. The aspect ratio is 1.85:1.

Posted ImageAUDIO QUALITY: 3/5 Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I applaud Starz Home Entertainment for providing uncompressed PCM 5.1 tracks on their discs. Even though this 5.1 mix is a remix of an original mono soundtrack, differences can still be heard between uncompressed PCM and the lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 track. If your home theatre equipment can reveal the subtle differences between the two soundtracks then you’ll want to listen to the uncompressed option (the default is Dolby Digital). There is a slight amount of openness that the uncompressed soundtrack delivers that is virtually eliminated on the Dolby encoding, and that’s expected because lossy codecs aren’t intended to be lossless. Thus, the soundtrack does have a bit more room to breathe at 16/48 resolution. On the other hand, the recording quality isn’t that great to begin with so we aren’t hearing many sounds that are truly convincing of a real soundscape. Dynamic range is limited and the only real aggressiveness in the soundtrack happens when Annie’s father breaks through the dimensions to warn them. The soundtrack never appears bright but bass is limited in both LFE and main channels. This is a front-heavy soundtrack with a little action happening in the rears to help widen the front soundstage unsuspectingly.

TACTILE FUN!! Posted Image / Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
    TACTILE TRANSDUCER ON/OFF?: OFF

There isn’t much going on in the LFE channel in this film. Take it or leave it.

Posted ImageSPECIAL FEATURES: 2/5 Posted Image Posted Image

As expected, little new features have been added for this Blu-ray release, although it’s nice to see that most features from previous DVDs have carried over. Like all feature films on Anchor Bay’s list, the Blu-ray exclusive Fast Film Facts subtitles appear when activated.

Ported over from the old blood-red Elite Laserdisc that I proudly still own, the audio commentary is still a hoot to listen to. Featuring writer/director Sam Raimi, star Bruce Campbell, co-write Scott Spiegel, and special make-up artist Greg Nicotero, there isn’t a better group of guys that could have got together to joke around while talking about this film. You’ll laugh your guts out.

Evil Dead II: Behind the Screams features Tom Sullivan, from effects and animation, narrating through a series of photographs for 17 minutes of behind the scenes material. It’s one-on-one feel compared to the group effort behind The Gore the Merrier featurette, where Robert Kurtzman, Howard Berger, and Greg Nicotero of make-up effects talk together about the making of the film while old behind the scenes footage and photographs are displayed. The theatrical trailer is also included, but like the rest of the features, is not in high def (but is 16:9).

IN THE END...

Even though I was left wanting for more, I will retire my limited edition collector’s tin of this film as well as my stinky Book of the Dead release. With Anchor Bay being Anchor Bay, I would expect a fleshy book Blu-ray release in the future with an entirely new transfer of this film, or at least a re-release with the older and much better known “skull” cover artwork that the videotapes from the ‘80s used to carry. I liked that one much better than this cartoonish one. If Anchor Bay were trying to make this release as horrific as possible, they certainly succeeded.

Michael Osadciw
    September 23, 2007.

Review System

Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
    Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
    HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#2 of 7 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted September 24 2007 - 04:20 AM

Jeez, I still haven't watched my copy of this one yet! So many discs, so little time. Good review, Mike.
    And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#3 of 7 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted September 24 2007 - 05:51 AM

Michael, thanks for the review despite how disappointed I felt after reading it. I believe I will still keep this and the other Starz Home Entertainment BD horror movies on pre-order, as it is hard to go back to SD when there is an HD option, but this review and other people's screenshot comparisons of the SD DVD THX transfer vs. the BoD transfer on AVS have made a purchase of the SD DVD THX necessary as well just in case it never gets resolved to my satisfaction. Oddly enough, I found that DVD Empire still had the SD DVD THX version in-stock.
    Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
    , Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#4 of 7 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted September 24 2007 - 06:37 AM

Disappointing. I've mostly managed to avoid upgrade mania on this title (I don't have the "Book of the Dead" edition), so I'll probably wait until the inevitable Anchor Bay re-issue. Still, man, when a movie you like has a release date on your birthday, it's hard to pass that up. Posted Image
    Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
    Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
    Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#5 of 7 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Executive Producer

• 16,226 posts
    • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted September 24 2007 - 06:46 AM

Aw bummer, I was really hoping that these guys would come up with a home run for this film =(

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#6 of 7 Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted September 24 2007 - 07:43 AM

So glad I bought the THX versions of the Evil Dead films when they were going for cheap (since the BOD versions were coming out).

I'd been hearing good things about this BD before, but I'd feared it would be the plastic-y BOD transfer. Better luck next time.
    My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#7 of 7 Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted September 24 2007 - 11:04 AM

And knowing AB, now Starz, there WILL be a next time...

Posted Image