Paramount

• Please log in to reply
2194 replies to this topic

#1721 of 2195 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,206 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 07:21 AM

In fairness, Lucas produced the latter part of Star Trek's second season. The third season producer who raised the ire of so many fans was Fred Freiberger.

#1722 of 2195 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,136 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted March 14 2013 - 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by FanCollector 

In fairness, Lucas produced the latter part of Star Trek's second season. The third season producer who raised the ire of so many fans was Fred Freiberger.

Oops. You're right - and I feel pretty silly about it, being a trekkie from way back.

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#1723 of 2195 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,206 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 09:22 AM

Your larger point still makes sense, though. In television, producers have control, and so their sensibilities influence the entire show. If you don't like a producer's work in one show, you may not like it on another. The twist on that theory is that sometimes a producer is a good fit for one show and not so good for another. Freiberger, for example, did very good work on The Wild, Wild West in my opinion. Totally different kind of show from Star Trek, so it may just have been a question of where he belonged. Lucas, in my view, was a better director than writer (in general), and that may not have been the right balance for being a producer in the days when the producer's biggest job was working stories and scripts.

#1724 of 2195 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,136 posts

Posted March 15 2013 - 12:51 AM

It's interesting too to note that in the pictures above, the fonts used in the credits of the two shows are similar. Both are squarish block fonts with serifs.

Harry

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#1725 of 2195 OFFLINE   jompaul17

jompaul17

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 07:56 AM

Your larger point still makes sense, though. In television, producers have control, and so their sensibilities influence the entire show. If you don't like a producer's work in one show, you may not like it on another. The twist on that theory is that sometimes a producer is a good fit for one show and not so good for another. Freiberger, for example, did very good work on The Wild, Wild West in my opinion. Totally different kind of show from Star Trek, so it may just have been a question of where he belonged. Lucas, in my view, was a better director than writer (in general), and that may not have been the right balance for being a producer in the days when the producer's biggest job was working stories and scripts.

Lee,

I think that notion of "fit" is also true for actors, and is one of the reasons acting, in my opinion, has become so much less "useful" in recent years, even as it has grown to incredibly good technical levels.    Actors (using the gender-inspecific form of the word) seem to disappear into their roles these days, resulting in amazing transformations.    The acting, in a technical sense, is superb.   But, you don't wind up connected to the resultant characters in the way you did in classic TV, where the tight shooting schedules, absence of continuity in writing and directing, thin and often simple scripts, and necessity of ongoing relationship of character to audience allowed actors to bring all sorts of personal interpretation to their roles.    The acting was technically lesser, by the judgement of the acting community anyway.   But, the result was so much richer, more personal, somehow.   Meaning was being conveyed on the screen that came directly from the actor.   This tended to only happen when actors fit their roles so well so that you could almost not stand to see them in any other roles.   We've lost this in recent times, where we prize the technical skills at the expense of personal interpretation.

Hey, had to get in there early in the "new" forum and post in the "Mannix thread!"    Sure glad to see it is still there... even if I can't seem to preview the post anymore...

#1726 of 2195 OFFLINE   jompaul17

jompaul17

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 07:57 AM

It's interesting too to note that in the pictures above, the fonts used in the credits of the two shows are similar. Both are squarish block fonts with serifs.

Harry

Harry,

Sure wish I could see those images.... and all of the images you put in this thread.... and my avatar....

Here's hoping...

#1727 of 2195 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,136 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 08:27 AM

Harry,

Sure wish I could see those images.... and all of the images you put in this thread.... and my avatar....

Here's hoping...

I re-loaded my Avatar, rather than wait for it to reappear. It's easy enough to do as it was still on my computer. The other images from this thread will probably show up at some point in the future. They're working on it - it's a known issue.

Harry

My DVD Collection

#1728 of 2195 OFFLINE   jompaul17

jompaul17

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 08:30 AM

I re-loaded my Avatar, rather than wait for it to reappear. It's easy enough to do as it was still on my computer. The other images from this thread will probably show up at some point in the future. They're working on it - it's a known issue.

Harry

Harry,

Yea, and a great avatar is is, too!!!   :)

Mine is somewhere on another computer -- I'll dig it out in a few days, if it does not re-appear...

One thing -- searching for this thread, either on the Web or even within this forum, now fails.   Hopefully people will find it again, since I think there might have been a few who liked to follow, but not post.

#1729 of 2195 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,136 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hey, had to get in there early in the "new" forum and post in the "Mannix thread!"    Sure glad to see it is still there... even if I can't seem to preview the post anymore...

There's a different way of handling that in this forum. Underneath the "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of the page, to the right, there's a [More Reply Options] button. If you click on that, you'll get to the full "Reply" box with all of the editing features, file attachments, etc., - and the option below THAT to [Preview Post].

Harry

My DVD Collection

#1730 of 2195 OFFLINE   jompaul17

jompaul17

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 12:43 PM

There's a different way of handling that in this forum. Underneath the "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of the page, to the right, there's a [More Reply Options] button. If you click on that, you'll get to the full "Reply" box with all of the editing features, file attachments, etc., - and the option below THAT to [Preview Post].

Harry

Harry,

OK, that works.

Actually, it looks like the post preview comes up automatically under the "more reply options."

Also, I just couldn't wait -- my avatar is back!  

Just in case, in all of the confusion, people started to become confused about what my favorite series is.  

:)

#1731 of 2195 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,136 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 03:59 PM

Harry,

Also, I just couldn't wait -- my avatar is back!  

Perhaps you'd like that brightened up a little:

17PaseoVerde.jpg

Harry

My DVD Collection

#1732 of 2195 OFFLINE   jompaul17

jompaul17

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 05:10 PM

Perhaps you'd like that brightened up a little:

attachicon.gif17PaseoVerde.jpg

Harry

Harry,

That's great -- thanks!

It's been dark for a long time, but I didn't really have the software to fix it -- then I thought I'd just leave it kind of dark and mysterious.

But, I just downloaded your version, and then tried to upload it as my new avatar -- and the system hangs when I try!   I even tried to remove my old one to get the system to accept the new one, but it won't.

But, as soon as I can get this one loaded, it will be the one.

Thanks!!!!

#1733 of 2195 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,136 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 05:32 PM

It's possible they're working on fixing that module so that all of the old avatars appear for the ones who haven't yet re-uploaded. Or perhaps the system didn't like that larger picture and wants it to be of a certain size? If that's the case, here's one at 150 x 150 pixels:

17PaseoVerdeAv.jpg

Harry

My DVD Collection

#1734 of 2195 OFFLINE   jompaul17

jompaul17

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 05:42 PM

It's possible they're working on fixing that module so that all of the old avatars appear for the ones who haven't yet re-uploaded. Or perhaps the system didn't like that larger picture and wants it to be of a certain size? If that's the case, here's one at 150 x 150 pixels:

attachicon.gif17PaseoVerdeAv.jpg

Harry

Harry,

Thanks -- but the system won't currently allow me to re-upload my old, dark and mysterious avatar either!  This, despite it allowing me to upload it earlier today.  Thus, I am back to being a mere shadow of myself.

They must be working on something.

Regardless, I've now saved the two you made -- and one of them is going to be my new avatar as soon as the system and I get together.

Thanks!!!

#1735 of 2195 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,136 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 05:51 PM

For someday when you're really feeling "shadowy", here's a fun avatar playing off the blank one:

MannixHTF.jpg

Harry

My DVD Collection

#1736 of 2195 OFFLINE   jompaul17

jompaul17

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 06:03 PM

For someday when you're really feeling "shadowy", here's a fun avatar playing off the blank one:

attachicon.gifMannixHTF.jpg

Harry

Harry,

Oh my.

I just don't have the words!

But -- I did just save it !!!

#1737 of 2195 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,136 posts

Posted March 23 2013 - 12:17 PM

You know, in the light of day, it makes me wonder what I was thinking...

Harry

My DVD Collection

#1738 of 2195 OFFLINE   jompaul17

jompaul17

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted March 23 2013 - 02:00 PM

You know, in the light of day, it makes me wonder what I was thinking...

Harry

Harry,

Oh, but you know, you just described the immense power of the darkness of night!

I love it!

#1739 of 2195 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,136 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 03:02 AM

Meanwhile, I need to get back to MANNIX. It's been awhile since I've been able to find time to continue MANNIX-watching. As I recall, I'm a few discs into Season 6. The great thing about having them on DVD is I know that they'll be there whenever I'm ready.

It's a busy time down here in Florida, with lots of little things going on, not to mention visitors, spring-breakers, and the generally mild weather inviting us out of doors.

Harry

My DVD Collection

#1740 of 2195 OFFLINE   jompaul17

jompaul17

Supporting Actor

• 927 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 08:24 AM

Meanwhile, I need to get back to MANNIX. It's been awhile since I've been able to find time to continue MANNIX-watching. As I recall, I'm a few discs into Season 6. The great thing about having them on DVD is I know that they'll be there whenever I'm ready.

It's a busy time down here in Florida, with lots of little things going on, not to mention visitors, spring-breakers, and the generally mild weather inviting us out of doors.

Harry

Harry,

Well, I, for one, am looking forward to your continued observations on the series.  And, I hope more people manage to find their way back to this thread after the re-platforming.   The search engine link to it now seems fixed, which is nice.

In many ways, it's better to watch slowly anyway.   Some series were not meant to be watched one episode after another.   They were not designed that way, and so much of the richness can be lost when they are viewed that way.   

We have a tendency these days to want to get to the "bottom line" of so much, including story.   I remember an early Dick Van Dyke episode, where Laura opens Rob's mail, and he says that her summarizing his letters is like someone describing Romeo and Juliet as something like "two young kids run away from home and wind up dead." 

In a similar vein, watching Mannix for the bottom line can make the show and character seem like so much less.    This is one reason (but not the only one), in my opinion, that series like 24 and The Fugitive are so successful on DVD.   You relate to the character immediately because of the ongoing and immediate predicament.  

But, Mannix does not have that.  Instead, you have this lead character that seems to be "asking for it" all of the time -- and this can appear different when viewed one episode after another.

But, viewed on a weekly basis, you got this sense of this guy out there who made these choices to be a kind of a knight, ready to help people, or expose the truth. 

The significance of that choice can be obscured when viewing the episodes for the bottom line.

But, what an incredibly rich choice to make.

Would that there were more people like that -- would that I was more like that.

We are currently having the opposite weather situation -- snow on March 25 !   Probably why my reply got so long...   Geez, even when I was in Sunny Florida a couple of weeks back, it wasn't so warm.   Enjoy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paramount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users