-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Chuck season 1 thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
282 replies to this topic

#1 of 283 Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted September 20 2007 - 01:40 PM

I just caught the pilot episode of Chuck on "On-Demand" and I was pleasantly surprised.

As long as you can overlook the whole "computer data in the brain" aspect, and just accept that leap, the show looks like it will be pretty good.

Even though this was the first episode, there seems to be good chemistry between Chuck and the CIA woman (Sarah). The writing and dialog was better than the usual stuff the networks have churned out lately and it had some pretty funny stuff. Overall a pretty effective pilot.

Like I said, there are aspects of the show's premise that are way out there. The way the CIA and NSA operatives just kill each other willy nilly, for one. Even with the this large fictional aspect, I am willing to overlook that, and enjoy the ride.

I will definitely give it a chance this season.

The Pilot airs on NBC next monday.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#2 of 283 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,658 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 11:37 PM

I found that I didn't much care for the tone of the pilot episode for "Chuck", a show about a nerd who gets imbued with a boatload of data into his brain, making him a walking data store of national secrets. I'd have to see a few more episodes to really see if it was just the pilot episode, or if the show would get into a rut quickly given its premise.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 283 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,440 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 11:41 PM

I also enjoyed this pilot too.

I liked all the characters. It was a lot of fun and adventurous at the same time.
I hope there's lots of interaction with his friend Morgan.

I'm just wondering how much material they have and Chuck has in his brain for an entire series or multiple seasons.

I think its funny in the end how
John Casey(Adam Baldwin) ends up working undercover at Buy More

A great start to what I hope will be a great show.
In the words of Captain Awesome- "That's awesome!"

all-banner.jpg

#4 of 283 pitchman

pitchman

Screenwriter

• 1,833 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted September 21 2007 - 02:07 AM

I thought the pilot was okay and I will check out at least a couple more episodes to see where this thing is headed. Conceptually, Chuck owes a debt of gratitude to Greatest American Hero, IMHO... But, what I have seen so far is at least entertaining and held my interest.
Gary

#5 of 283 Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted September 21 2007 - 07:40 AM

Watched the pilot too and to me it's just good silly fun, I thought it was hilarious in spots.

The woman who plays Sarah (YOWZA BTW) is a dead ringer for Naomi Watts IMO.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#6 of 283 Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted September 23 2007 - 12:37 AM

What amazed me is that I watched this pilot and the pilot for "Bionic Woman" within a day of each other, and that structurally these pilots are almost the same.

Basically, an everyday civillian is imbued with government "powers" which the operatives in charge of the program threaten to lock them up for, only to be slapped down by the civillian as wanting to be in control of their own lives.

Of the two, "Chuck" was the much better pilot with far more endearing characters and a style that didn't take itself too seriously. "Bionic Woman" was a little too maudlin and although the Katee Sackhoff character might be interesting, they blurted out her character's ticks in dialoge rather than showing it over the course of a few episodes. I love BSG but will need a few more episdodes to be convinced to stick with it.

"Chuck" I'm pretty much sold on for the season.

#7 of 283 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted September 23 2007 - 04:06 AM

I also caught the pilot of this as a give-away from Circuit City when I purchased a TV series DVD. Since this show is from the same guy that created The O.C. I am going to give this series a couple of more views.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#8 of 283 Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted September 23 2007 - 04:35 AM

This was one of my more anticipated pilots of the season and I was disappointed yesterday when I caught it on HD On Demand. I'll give it a few more episodes and hope it improves.

#9 of 283 Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted September 24 2007 - 09:16 PM

Thought Chuck was great...Hilaious in Spots...it's Sci Fi, not reality, so I don't know why people cannot grasp the concept of the show without saying how unrealistic it is...its a fun fantasy sci fi nerdy geek comedy...SOLD!!! Immediately my new favorite show

#10 of 283 Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,149 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 04:34 AM

So far, this is the best Pilot I have seen, and look forward to more.

A spy-type of show that can't be taken seriously.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - August
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#11 of 283 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,076 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 25 2007 - 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-S
The writing and dialog was better than the usual stuff the networks have churned out lately and it had some pretty funny stuff. Overall a pretty effective pilot.
I agree. The advertising didn't look to promising (the only joke I laughed at in the commercials was the stoner's "computer emergency!") but all the jokes hit in the pilot, including some that weren't funny out of context in the commercials.
Quote:
Like I said, there are aspects of the show's premise that are way out there. The way the CIA and NSA operatives just kill each other willy nilly, for one.
As former FBI operative Mike German recently said of his former employer: if something in government that looks like a conspiracy can be explained by incompetence, lean toward incompetence.
It's not so much of a stretch that I can't buy it within the rules of this zany, hyperactive world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS
I'm just wondering how much material they have and Chuck has in his brain for an entire series or multiple seasons.
I was wondering that too. He can't directly solve cases all of the time like he did in the pilot because as time goes on, the information in his brain will become more and more outdated. He'd still be pretty valuable for a wealth of historical and logistical information, though.
Quote:
I think its funny in the end how
John Casey(Adam Baldwin) ends up working undercover at Buy More
Adam Baldwin in the right role can simply walk on screen and be a punchline. That was one example.
Quote:
A great start to what I hope will be a great show.
In the words of Captain Awesome- "That's awesome!"
I watched the pilot with my roommate last night, and Captain Awesome was definitely our favorite character. A dumb jock surgeon (?!?) that questions nothing and rolls with everything. What a great character to have floating in the background.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!
The woman who plays Sarah (YOWZA BTW) is a dead ringer for Naomi Watts IMO.
She reminded me of a cross between Christine Taylor and Becki Newton from "Ugly Betty". I second the Yowza.Posted Image

If the subsequent episodes can keep up the style, energy, and humor of the pilot I'll be a happy camper.

#12 of 283 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 04:47 AM

I was already liking it a lot before they gave us that last shot of Adam Baldwin in Buy More, which just cracked me up. That is going to be comedy gold.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#13 of 283 Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 05:01 AM

I loved the pilot. Yowza dittos! Here getting ready for the date?!!? Wow!

I'm enjoying the pop-culture references, as well.

I'm in for the season.
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#14 of 283 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,965 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted September 25 2007 - 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
That was one example.I watched the pilot with my roommate last night, and Captain Awesome was definitely our favorite character. A dumb jock surgeon (?!?) that questions nothing and rolls with everything. What a great character to have floating in the background.
Speaking of "floating in the background," all of the "Buy More" store adverts had me on the floor rolling, especially the one that's seen when Sarah leaves by way of the store entrance -- something like:

"When you buy more, you save more.

"And when you save more, you can buy more.

"And when you buy more, you save more.

"It all starts when you BUY MORE."

I loved how the show placed hilarious, utterly repetitive, drilled-into-your-head shit like that deep in the background, rather than out in the open in a massively obvious way, making you catch it on a double-take.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#15 of 283 Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor

• 708 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 07:39 AM

I had heard there was going to be a new show called "Chuck" starting before Heroes. I didn't read anything about it but thought "what the heck, I'll give it a blind try". Well, I'm hooked 100%! I love how quirky, nerdy and unrealistic it is and hope they don't make it too serious. It was a fun show. My Monday's are now booked solid.
"A human being is part of the whole called by us the Universe. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest --a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection...

#16 of 283 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,978 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 10:36 AM

I enjoyed the pilot and will definitely be catching the next episode.

I’ll have to concur that the last scene with Bladwin as a store employee had me laughing.

#17 of 283 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,333 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 25 2007 - 01:20 PM

I didn't know too much about the show, even after going to Comic-Con this year. When my friend told me the "Geek Squad" is called "Nerd Herd" I had to check it out and I wasn't disappointed. Now I'm glad I snagged one of the posters at the convention.

The spy lady reminds me of Christine Taylor more than anyone.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#18 of 283 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,307 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 25 2007 - 04:18 PM

That was surprisingly, awesomely crazy! I loved it!

The terrible previews this summer completely mis-sold and mis-represented the quality of the show. I'm really glad I taped the pilot (watched it tonight). I'm really looking forward to seeing if they can keep up the energy and the surprises!

#19 of 283 Don Giro

Don Giro

Supporting Actor

• 814 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted September 25 2007 - 11:11 PM

Quote:
The spy lady reminds me of Christine Taylor more than anyone.

That's exactly what I was thinking, only I think this gal's better looking than Taylor.

Fun show, I'll be tuning in...
When she embraces, your heart turns to stone
She comes at night, when you're all alone
And when she whispers, your blood shall run cold
You'd better hide before she finds you...

#20 of 283 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted September 26 2007 - 01:58 AM

I watched the first episode based on the strength of Tom Shale's review in the Washington Post. I'm glad I did. A nice show that provides a good lead-in to "Heroes". NBC now has my eyeballs for at least two hours on Monday.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow