Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

George Lucas talks about the two tv series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 07:49 AM

http://www.tvguide.c...rs-TV/070920-01

Quote:
TV Guide: And how are you going to produce this one? Are you going to film a certain number? Are you going to have a deal with a network before you go ahead with filming?
Lucas:
No, we'll do it just the same way that we're doing the animated series, which is we usually write a whole year first, and then we'll start shooting, and then we'll shoot the whole year and then once we've got [something to show], we'll see where we can put it. We're going to do a hundred of them, too. [It should be] easier [to place] than the animated one because it's live-action.

TV Guide: So you'll film before you get a commitment? Or how will that work?
Lucas:
Well, we're doing these before we get a commitment, so we're just doing them on the faith that we're going to [sell them]. I mean, we're doing them ourselves, so we can finance them, we don't need to have a commitment of any kind. We're simply going to sell them.

This is what I like about GL, taking chances
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#2 of 22 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,854 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 08:13 AM

While I agree its cool he is doing this. Its really not taking a chance. Since I would be hard pressed to find a network that wouldn't jump at the chance to get a Star Wars tv show.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#3 of 22 Lee-c

Lee-c

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 08:20 AM

Yeah, the news that there's going to be a full Star Wars live action t.v. series is one of the biggest announcements in t.v. history. The networks will be fighting over who gets to carry the series. Posted Image

#4 of 22 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,962 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 08:23 AM

Even in the remotest chance it isn't picked up, LFL can easily recoup costs by selling a DVD set. But it will obviously be picked up. The title alone guarantees it.

That's not to say it's not bold. It is...but it isn't taking a chance.

Filming an American Graffiti TV series without a customer...that would be taking a chance.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#5 of 22 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 08:27 AM

perhaps chance is the wrong word.

Investment is probably better.

Firstly the tv ratings will be fantastic and when the dvd come out later, he will make a double killing

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#6 of 22 Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 11:04 PM

I'm surprised he didn't mention syndication as an option. It worked for Star Trek: TNG and DS9.
Dan Szwarc
Currently without a Home Theatre

#7 of 22 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,737 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Szwarc
I'm surprised he didn't mention syndication as an option. It worked for Star Trek: TNG and DS9.

There is very little syndication left for shows like that. Since 1995, when UPN and the WB started, syndication has gotten to be a smaller and smaller piece of the pie. Especially now that cable networks (FX, SciFi, USA, etc.) are spending considerable amounts on original programming, syndication doesn't seem to be the viable option of the independents that it was in TNG's day, 20 years ago. That's really too bad, if you ask me.

The shows sound great. I'm sure Lucas and Lucasfilm will do a great job with them.

#8 of 22 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,716 posts

Posted September 21 2007 - 01:36 AM

judging from the track record of Star Wars TV shows, I don't think this is that secure of an investment. Will Bea Arthur appear in the new show? She stole the Holiday Special.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#9 of 22 Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted September 21 2007 - 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey3rd
judging from the track record of Star Wars TV shows, I don't think this is that secure of an investment. Will Bea Arthur appear in the new show? She stole the Holiday Special.

I missed the Holiday Special. Did she play Yoda?

#10 of 22 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,333 posts

Posted September 21 2007 - 07:59 AM

No. Worse. She played herself.

#11 of 22 streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,388 posts

Posted September 21 2007 - 08:18 AM

No she didn't. Her character name was Ackmena or something like that.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#12 of 22 Firebee

Firebee

Supporting Actor

• 759 posts

Posted September 21 2007 - 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey3rd

Oh, I'm willing to give these new TV shows a shot when they show up, though one has to hope that George has improved his ability to tell a story or deliver dialogue through his characters than the prequel movies to ``Star Wars''. Posted Image

I also have not enough time to watch all of these DVDS:

http://www.invelos.c....aspx/fire26bee

#13 of 22 Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted September 21 2007 - 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streeter
No she didn't. Her character name was Ackmena or something like that.
I believe the correct answer here is "How the hell would I know?!" Posted Image

#14 of 22 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,400 posts

Posted September 21 2007 - 11:48 AM

IIRC, CBS wanted a Star Wars tv series pretty badly in '78.

#15 of 22 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,854 posts

Posted September 21 2007 - 03:44 PM

Happy Life Day to all of you!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#16 of 22 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,434 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 21 2007 - 03:52 PM

I wrote a magazine article about The Star Wars Holiday Special a couple years ago and memories of an entire act spoken in Wookiee (or Shyriiwook for the hardcore fan) still haunt me.

And a happy Life Day to you as well, Todd. Posted Image

#17 of 22 Mike*Sch

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator

• 197 posts

Posted September 21 2007 - 05:51 PM

The more interesting part of that article is when he starts talking about the shows he watches. He seems really into ROME. I'm always fascinated by hearing him talk about other people's work. For some reason, I get the impression that he's living up on his ranch without any contact with the outside world. So when he's going on and on about some random TV show, it's seems so bizarre to me. One time I read some interview with him where he was talking about FARGO, and I was like, "he's heard of FARGO? But that was made by mere mortals."
"Oh movies... When will they learn?"
--Max Hegel

#18 of 22 Jay_B!

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted September 26 2007 - 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer
Filming an American Graffiti TV series without a customer...that would be taking a chance.

already happened. It's called Happy Days and ran ten years.

#19 of 22 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,716 posts

Posted September 26 2007 - 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_B!
already happened. It's called Happy Days and ran ten years.

Happy Days' "first episode" was on "Love, American Style" and aired on Feb 25, 1972.

American Graffiti opened August 1, 1973

However after Graffiti made the big bucks, ABC picked it up as a series.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#20 of 22 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,911 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted September 27 2007 - 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike*Sch
The more interesting part of that article is when he starts talking about the shows he watches. He seems really into ROME. I'm always fascinated by hearing him talk about other people's work. For some reason, I get the impression that he's living up on his ranch without any contact with the outside world. So when he's going on and on about some random TV show, it's seems so bizarre to me. One time I read some interview with him where he was talking about FARGO, and I was like, "he's heard of FARGO? But that was made by mere mortals."
Lucas just went up about 2,000 street-cred points in my book, discussing Rome and Deadwood in depth during that interview (and talking about how he waits for DVD season-sets of shows like LOST and Heroes for one all-out feeding frenzy, like so many of us).

Cool shit. I'm pumped about the live-action series in particular... in fact, I happen to personally know a writer who's been approached by Lucas about it.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow