-

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official EASTERN PROMISES Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 11:26 PM

David Cronenberg's new film opens wide tomorrow!

It's been in a theater in Houston for for a week or two but I wasn't up for that trip.

Anybody seen this yet?

Heard a good interview with David & Viggo on NPR.
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   Rich Romero

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor

• 731 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 12:05 AM

Definitely going to see it on Saturday. Can't wait.
My DVD's "There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,570 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 02:26 AM

I haven't seen it yet, but I do think Cronenberg seems to be reaching the height of his skills. I certainly think he is one of the most talanted and interesting directors working today. His recent movies like Spider, eXistenZ and A History of Violence have all been quite good.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 03:12 AM

[Text moved to post in review thread.]
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,053 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 20 2007 - 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Gale
It's been in a theater in Houston for for a week or two but I wasn't up for that trip.

Anybody seen this yet?
I'm your boat. I'd have made the trip to Philadelphia last weekend if it wasn't opening around me tomorrow. I'll probably see it on Saturday.

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan V
there is a scene which I will not spoil, towards the end, which I guarantee will take your breath away with its visceral immediacy. There's never been a scene like it.
You know, I don't think it's spoilable. Every review talks about it, and there's even an excerpt in the trailer, and it still kicked me in the gut.

M.

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,570 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 08:07 PM

Still, reviewers and even trailers spoil movies all the time. It's nice to not contribute.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 21 2007 - 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRice
Still, reviewers and even trailers spoil movies all the time. It's nice to not contribute.
That's why I didn't refer to it until someone else brought it up (in a post now moved to the Official Review Thread). But if you read almost any article on the film -- even the various interviews with Mortensen that have been appearing lately -- the reporters just can't help themselves.

M.

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,704 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 21 2007 - 01:21 AM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Eastern Promises". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Eastern Promises" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   L. Anton Dencklau

L. Anton Dencklau

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted September 23 2007 - 06:01 PM

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,311 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted September 24 2007 - 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Anton Dencklau
----Spoiler-ish----

There's something about this movie that is vaguely unsatisfying to me, and I haven't figured it out yet. Great score, good design, great acting, good editing.

So why don't I like it more?

Is the gay aspect? The religious subtext? (very uncharacteristic of Croenenberg.) I dunno. It played out sort of like barry lyndon did in the context of the kubrick films, which means (at least for me) its a movie that I admire more than I "like".

Maybe I need to see it again.

I think I know what you're feeling. While I enjoyed the film immensely, I felt as though it could have been an epic tale, in the vein of The Godfather or even The Departed. Cronenberg and Co. restrained themselves and let it play as a deliberately paced, nice, little movie.
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted September 24 2007 - 04:21 PM

I really liked it. Nathan noted the subtle sense of dread which pervades the film. This is accomplished without any obvious devices that I could notice. Except perhaps.. something about the cinematography which somehow highlights the most unpleasant facial features of the characters/actors. It's not just the absense of the Hollywood gloss (after all every grainy indie out there has dispensed of that sheen) -- there is something else. Everyone seem wrinklier, and frankly uglier than they've looked in any other movie. Weird.

--
H

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 01:05 AM

Many things contribute to the sense of dread, but I think the most direct and powerful is the simple device of having the film narrated by the deceased Tatiana reading excerpts from her diary. It continuously reminds you of the young and naive girl who was ruthlessly exploited (and ultimately killed) as part of a routine sex trafficking operation. So you're always aware that, no matter how restrained and polite Nikolai is, or how courtly and grandfatherly Semyon appears to be, these are men without the slightest compunction when it comes to their business. If business requires, they will not hesitate to do anything to anyone.
M.

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 01:58 AM

Quote:
I think I know what you're feeling. While I enjoyed the film immensely, I felt as though it could have been an epic tale, in the vein of The Godfather or even The Departed.
I think that is the kind of expectations glowing reviews have set. I am glad I read none before I went in. Literally all I knew was that Cronenberg was back with Mortensen (and Watts) in a thriller and that word was good. That's all.
It's been hard to recognize the film I saw in some of the reviews I've read since, to be honest. A bit too much emphasis on the plot and not enough on the wet, modly, mostly uncomfortable feel of the thing.

--
H

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,311 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holadem
I think that is the kind of expectations glowing reviews have set. I am glad I read none before I went in. Literally all I knew was that Cronenberg was back with Mortensen (and Watts) in a thriller and that word was good. That's all.
It's been hard to recognize the film I saw in some of the reviews I've read since, to be honest. A bit too much emphasis on the plot and not enough on the wet, modly, mostly uncomfortable feel of the thing.

--
H

Well put.
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 12:15 PM

****possible spoilers****

I caught this movie over the weekend knowing nothing about it other than who's in it and who the director is.

I'm glad as well that I didn't read any reviews as I also believe they would have tainted my ability to enjoy this film.

Someone made a point that this is, "a nice little movie" when it could have maybe been epic... I agree for the most part, but doesn't it seem like there could be a 2nd installment to continue the story?? If so, I would be first in line to see it!
Once again, the Bulls have let me down...

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted September 25 2007 - 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Jonkheer

Perry,
No need for eight-asterick-spoilers in the discussion thread.

We're assumed to have seen the flick if we're here.

But, it was a kind thought. Posted Image
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted September 26 2007 - 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Gale
Perry,
No need for eight-asterick-spoilers in the discussion thread.

We're assumed to have seen the flick if we're here.

But, it was a kind thought. Posted Image

I did that because there were more than a few posters up top who had not seen the movie yet...
Once again, the Bulls have let me down...

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,311 posts

Posted September 27 2007 - 05:37 AM

Quote:

I caught this movie over the weekend knowing nothing about it other than who's in it and who the director is.

I'm glad as well that I didn't read any reviews as I also believe they would have tainted my ability to enjoy this film.

Someone made a point that this is, "a nice little movie" when it could have maybe been epic... I agree for the most part, but doesn't it seem like there could be a 2nd installment to continue the story?? If so, I would be first in line to see it!

Please understand I loved the flick. My comments were a response to those who wanted more (for whatever reason). I thought all involved showed great restraint. A sequel is in order, and I'd fight you to be first in line.

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted September 30 2007 - 01:48 PM

Quote:
I did that because there were more than a few posters up top who had not seen the movie yet...

Interesting point, and I was one of them.
My post (#1) was made before this was declared to be the ***Official WHIZ BANG Discussion Thead***.

I've just finished reading the "POLL- Do you want to return to Review/Discussion separate threads?...thread.
I guess I was still motorcycle shopping when that appeared in July, I'd never seen it before.
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow