What's new

My very specific needs for a new DVD player (1 Viewer)

David Nusair

Auditioning
Hi all,

My Panasonic DVD-S35 finally conked out after four years of reliable service, and I just came home with a Panasonic DVD-S43. I was disappointed to discover, however, that the player doesn't have any kind of "resume" function (ie I want to be able to take out a disc and come back to the same spot later) or the ability to move subtitles down the screen (this is particularly handy for Disney DVDs, which place the subtitles unreasonably high).

I'd like to stick with Panasonic, but I'm also willing to try other brands as long as they possess the above two features (in addition to such usual features as progressive scan, component output, DTS support, etc). Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

David

David Nusair

Auditioning
Okay, fine, forget the subtitle thing. What about the "resume" feature? Is this something that's available on most higher-priced players?

Thanks,

David

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
I've never heard of any that have that specific resume function. If you simply stop it and leave the disc in, yes, but not if you pull it out. It would have to have some sort of memory to do that and I seriously doubt you'll find it.

I've seen TVs that allow you to move the subtitles arround, but never a DVD player.

I'll apologize in advance since this won't be a direct answer to your question, but the last DVD player I had...a Sony (and not a high end one)...would save the last 5 discs locations. This was real helpful when watching a bunch of TV series in chronological order. I would stop the disc near the end of the credits of the episode, then when I came back to that show I could start it right back up at that point...skipping all the intro stuff, getting right back to the episode selection screens (saved a lot of time).

I'm kind of surprised that it's not a standard feature on most DVD players these days.

I gave my dvd player away when I bought my HD-DVD player and I do not recall the model number, but since it was a few years old Sony probably isn't making it anymore anyway. The HD-DVD player resume feature doesn't work anywhere near as nicely as the DVD player did. I think I made it work accidently once...I'll be lucky to remember how I did it.

Again, sorry this wasn't a direct answer, but I wanted to point out that there were DVD players other than Panasonic that had this function.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks