-

Photo
- - - - -

Computer theft-recovery software useful?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,870 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted September 19 2007 - 06:05 AM

http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/

Particularly after reading about Ron's stolen iPhone, I'm wondering if theft-recovery software for a laptop is at all useful? I don't fly much with my MBP, but for $49 maybe it's worth getting before my next trip, to be safe?

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   KurtEP

KurtEP

Supporting Actor

• 698 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 06:15 AM

Interesting. It looks a lot like LoJack's service for computers.

I've never used either, but I have extensive experience traveling with computers. Based on ten years traveling with a laptop and monitoring a staff of around 15 who were also traveling with them, it seems that if you're careful, you'll probably be OK. We had two laptops stolen, both from the same person in Miami. I strongly suspect he dumped the one to hide some problems he was having on an assignment, but was never able to prove it.

We had far more trouble with laptops getting damaged or destroyed, including the slow, cumulative damage that comes from tossing them in overhead bins. Of course, your mileage may vary. Given the low price, it might be a good idea if you have an expensive laptop and aren't the type that can just write the loss off. Of course, if you have confidential data, you probably need even stronger methods.
Lay down your law books now, they're no damned good -- The Eagles