What's new

"The Naked Prey" from Criterion in January? (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
This month's Criterion newsletter has the following clue:

Looks like it will be Cornel Wilde's The Naked Prey.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
About time. I saw this not too long ago for the first time in years. It still packs a punch. Some of those scenes at the beginning are truly horrifying.

Thommy...M

Stunt Coordinator
Yes! This has been on my 'Most Wanted' list for years. Excellent film.

I thought for sure a bare bones edition was in store for this film. If Criterion does do it, extras I will get!

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
Since Criterion is dipping into the Paramount library, I wonder if they'll ever do "One Eyed Jacks" ??

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
It's funny that last night I watched APOCALYPTO for the first time and subsequently read that this was an influcence so my thought was to try to find this on DVD.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I thought Brando retained the rights to One-Eyed Jacks and that was how it wound up in the public domain, or something to that effect.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
That's hardly a clue... it's a dead giveaway! Awesome!

This has been on my ever-shrinking DVD "wish list" for almost 10 years. Only 8 left...

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

Well if that's true, Criterion might still be able to negotiate a licensing deal with the Brando estate to do a proper restoration job and finally give this great film a much-needed high quality DVD release.

IanUngstad

Grip
Oh I'm sure they are releasing One-Eyed-Jacks through Paramount. Criterion financed the Maysle's documentary on Marlon Brando a year or so ago. What else could that have been for? I doubt they would release a short documentary about Marlon Brando by itself even if it was done by the Maysle's.

I full expect to see a criterion One Eyed Jacks in 2008. Paramount obviously has no interest in it, with all the public domain versions floating about.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think "The Naked Prey" is a very underrated film that a lot of people haven't seen and would be surprise as to how good a film it is. The same applies to One-Eyed-Jacks which I always thought was a beautifully filmed movie.

Thommy...M

Stunt Coordinator
Impossible to tell how many people have seen this film (box office doesn't register TV viewings), but I must say that around New York, every single human being has seen this film....and probably loved it.

Many moons ago before cable TV when you only had seven TV channels, here in NY we used to have an extremely popular program callled "The 4:30 Movie," and it seemed THE NAKED PREY was shown every single day at 4:30. It was one film, along with VON RYAN'S EXPRESS, that they seemed to show about once a month. All I can say is that around New York, THE NAKED PREY is about as popular as THE WIZARD OF OZ.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As somebody from the NYC Metro area too, I don't remember this title playing very often on the 4:30 movie on Channel 7. I'm not saying it didn't play on the 4:30 movie, but not like John Wayne films like North to Alaska. Also, I disagree with it being as poplular as "The Wizard of Oz" and it's annual showing on Channel 2 at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks