Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS STEREO?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 04:48 AM

I know that the double feature from Universal- Mary, queen of scots and anne of the Thousand days was just released.
Both films were stereo in theaters, but the speca say mono for the disc.
Does anyone have this release and can confirm stereo for both films?

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,549 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 01:55 PM

I received the set in the mail today. I could be mistaken, but to my ears, the music score and a few sound effects (e.g.the drums @ Sir Thomas More's execution)of Anne of the Thousand Days seem to be in stereo. There are no aggressive stereo effects. When horses gallop from left to right, they are not in stereo.

Mary, Queen of Scots sounded mono in all respects. If it is in stereo, it is extremely passive and non-aggressive, as few effects or music cues jumped out that I noticed.

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,308 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 02:18 PM

The films are in mono but good news for fans of John Barry's score. There is an isolated score track and the film contains the overture and intermission music from the film's rare 70 millimeter engagements (blow up).

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   PatH

PatH

Second Unit

• 325 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 02:53 PM

Will owners of this please comment on video quality, aspect ratio, etc. Thanks!

PatH

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 879 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 03:49 PM

They are in stereo...2.0
Ken

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,867 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted September 18 2007 - 08:53 PM

I'm really confused now!

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 01:01 AM

my old laserdisc of ANNEis stereo and my vhs prerecprd tape of MARY is full stereo.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Darren Gross

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 06:04 AM

Joe, can you describe a scene that shows a strong example of stereo usage from the VHS for comparison/DVD checking? Thanks!

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,867 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 07:03 AM

Listening to the background music (I don't mean the isolated music track) should establish whether there is a left/right separation between the different musical instruments within the orchestra. If there is, then it's stereo. If there's no separation, it's mono.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   John Skoda

John Skoda

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 02:39 PM

I just did a quick listen to the beginning of both discs, and both are true stereo. In both cases the music seems to be about the only stereo element. The sound effects and dialog don't move around the screen, but the music is definitely true stereo.

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,867 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 06:44 PM

Excellent John! Thank you.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,549 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 03:53 PM

I still stand by my original post. I played excerpts on my PC with headphones. The music score (including the dance music in the film) for Anne of the Thousand Days is in quite apparent stereo. As for Mary, Queen of Scots, I really had to strain to hear any sounds that were unique to one ear. I do think I barely discerned some stereo effects in the music; however, it is extraordinarily subtle and unaggressive.

I think I would also give the visual edge to Anne. It looks to me to have blacker blacks, richer color and more detail. I have not had the opportunity to spend much time with either film, but look forward to viewing both this weekend. I am excited to see both films released in anamorphic widescreen in 2.35:1.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,024 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 21 2007 - 04:33 PM

Based on the comments in this thread it appears that this release featuring these two fine titles is worthy of a purchase. Is that accurate?

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 22 2007 - 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Based on the comments in this thread it appears that this release featuring these two fine titles is worthy of a purchase. Is that accurate?

Crawdaddy

They are among the greatest historical dramas ever made. I haven't had the chance to watch either of them yet on this DVD set (MARY will be first when I get to them), but having seen both many times over the years, they are the real deal.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn

Second Unit

• 354 posts
  • LocationNorth Conway, NH

Posted September 22 2007 - 01:14 AM

Not trying to hijack the thread, but the first thing that came to mind when I read the title of this post was the old Monty Python sketch a local radio station here used to play from time to time:

Quote:
The sketch:

Voice over: Number ninety-seven: a radio.

Radio Announcer: And now the BBC is proud to present a brand new radio drama series, "The Death of Mary, Queen of Scots." Part One: The Beginning.

(music)

Man's voice: Yoo arrr Mary, Queen of Scots?

Woman's voice: I am!

(sound of violent blows being dealt, things being smashed, awful crunching noises, bones being broken, and other bodily harm being inflicted. All of this accompanied by screaming from the woman.)

(music fades up and out)

Announcer: Stay tuned for part two of the Radio Four Production of "The Death of Mary, Queen of Scots", coming up...almost immediately.

(music then sound of saw cutting, and other violent sounds as before, with the woman screaming. Suddenly it is silent.)

Man's voice: I think she's dead.

Woman's voice: No I'm not!

(sounds of physical harm and screaming start again. then music fades up and out)

Announcer: that was episode two of "The Death of Mary, Queen of Scots", specially adapted for radio by Gracie Fields and Joe Frazier. And now, Radio Four will explode.

(music an then the radio explodes.)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Jean Louise, Jean Louise stand up; Your father's passing.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,024 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 22 2007 - 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH.
They are among the greatest historical dramas ever made. I haven't had the chance to watch either of them yet on this DVD set (MARY will be first when I get to them), but having seen both many times over the years, they are the real deal.
Matt,
I was specifically questioning the dvd presentations as I'd viewed both films during their initial theatrical runs over 35 years ago and have watched both films again over the years.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 22 2007 - 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Matt,
I was specifically questioning the dvd presentations as I'd viewed both films during their initial theatrical runs over 35 years ago and have watched both films again over the years.

Oops! Sorry. I totally misunderstood your question.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,248 posts

Posted October 07 2007 - 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas T
The films are in mono but good news for fans of John Barry's score. There is an isolated score track and the film contains the overture and intermission music from the film's rare 70 millimeter engagements (blow up).
Thomas, both of these DVDs have stereo tracks. I could hear discreet music just by listening through the speakers, but through headphones it was altogether obvious. You might want to check your system settings...?

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow