Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Gunsmoke Season Two - Volume One

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 02:35 AM

I just saw this posted over at TVshowsOnDVD.com You have got to be kidding me!! They are going to split up the Gunsmoke seasons. They will never get them all out now. It is impossible. I can see maybe, even though I don't like it, spliting up seasons of hour length shows, but half hour, come on that is crazy. This really makes me angry.

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   Duane Alford

Duane Alford

Second Unit

• 284 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 05:43 AM

I wonder what it's gonna take for the studios to wake up and realize people hate split season sets. Maybe if people made it a point to boycott them, that would send a message.

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 06:03 AM

I wonder if that's a typo of some sort originating from CBS? Until I see more detailed information, I'm holding out hope for a full season. The release schedule seems to be on the semi-fast track, like Hawaii 5-0 and Mission: Impossible, so it doesn't seem like they would get cold feet at this point.

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Alford
I wonder what it's gonna take for the studios to wake up and realize people hate split season sets. Maybe if people made it a point to boycott them, that would send a message.

a memo from Wal-mart
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,479 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Alford

People tried the bocott method with "The Big Valley: Season 2, Vol. 1" and all it meant was no more Big Valley on DVD.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   changa

changa

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 12:20 PM

Gunsmoke Season 1 was excellent (39 episodes)
Gunsmoke Season 2 (39 episodes in total)
I won't be buying Volume Sets-Period!
The only time I would buy volume sets would be for CHEYENNE.
Volume Sets, as far as I am concerned,are for die-hard fans-only.
If they want my business,then they should scrap volume sets.
If not ,then they can go to "Boot Hill".

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 12:22 PM

I agree! I can't believe they are splitting a season of 39 half hour episodes!

What will the cost be?

Jack

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted September 18 2007 - 03:26 PM

I'll take 'em however I can get 'em. Just keep 'em coming!

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   Bob_S.

Bob_S.

Supporting Actor

• 637 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 03:42 PM

(Sigh) Now it's going to cost me twice as much to collect this series. Can't these companies do ANYTHING right? This way they will either make a killing in profit or they will effectively bury the series. Well CBS, you got me by the balls again. It looks like I'll be collecting this any which way I can.

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 11:36 PM

I love Gunsmoke so much that obviously I am going to keep buying the sets, but I just don't understand splitting seasons on 30 minute shows. Can anyone else give me an example of any other 1/2 hour series that this has happened to or is this a very bad precedent.

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 01:16 AM

If they split seasons, it would be the same amount of material as 10 hour long shows, 4 or 5 shows less than their usual split with hour long shows. I wonder if it'll have any affect on the price, if it'll be the same as their other split seasons; Perry Mason, The Untouchables, Rawhide, The Fugitive.

On Amazon, it's still listed as Gunsmoke: Season 2.

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 05:02 AM

I wonder if somehow this is a mistake, and tvshowsondvd got a bad scoop. Has anyone seen this verified anywhere else. I'm hoping that somehow Gunsmoke got mixed up with another show.

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 06:48 AM

It seems odd, considering that the SRP of Season 1 was just $39.98, and a half-season would amount to just three discs, unless they padded it out. It wouldn't seem cost-effective to cut it down any lower than that...

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   jdee28

jdee28

Screenwriter

• 1,005 posts

Posted September 30 2007 - 01:37 AM

Looks like they're actually going through with it.. it's listed on Amazon at a retail price 2 dollars less than the complete first season.. this for half the material... 3 discs, 526 minutes.

I'd love to hear CBS/Paramount's reasoning for this. I think it's a huge mistake that definitely won't help the sale of the series. Doubtful they'll make it now to season 5 or 6, much less any hour shows. With apparently one season a year now, I'll guess we'll know for sure in 4-6 years..

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   GlennWD

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted September 30 2007 - 03:54 AM

This is horrible news. I will still buy the sets as they come out, but I too believe that with this decision by CBS/Paramount, we will never see all 20 seasons released. We can only hope that they come to their senses after they see the fans negative reactions to this release, and continue with full season sets.
Best of Film - Jaws, The Godfather Part I & II, Casablanca, M, Citzen Kane, Ben-Hur, The French Connection, Rear Window, King Kong.

Best of Television - The Twilight Zone, M*A*S*H, Night Gallery, I Love Lucy, Hogan's Heroes, Cheers, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

My DVD Collection

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   ToddR2

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted September 30 2007 - 06:27 AM

I hope that this listing is inaccurate and will be amended. If not, it is frigging disgusting and infuriating. I have purchased several hour-long series split into half-seasons, and I try to understand the business models that encourage this practice, but I refuse to accept such a blatant bilking. Though I love Gunsmoke dearly, if this IS true CBS/Paramount can take their episodes and jam 'em.

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug^Ch
I just saw this posted over at TVshowsOnDVD.com You have got to be kidding me!! They are going to split up the Gunsmoke seasons. They will never get them all out now. It is impossible. I can see maybe, even though I don't like it, spliting up seasons of hour length shows, but half hour, come on that is crazy. This really makes me angry.

Well especially since they don't go to the year format until what season 4 isn't it? You're gonna end up paying as much for S2 V1 as you did for S1, I'm not sure how CBS can rationalize this? Certainly Fox has'nt sold anymore Big Valley using this method, where is season 2 of that series BTW. It's really why I'm becoming more of a Fan of Digital Downloads, give me a season pass cheap and keep the seasons coming.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted October 01 2007 - 05:46 AM

I really don't understand CBS/Paramount's schizophrenic approach to releasing their classic library. Hawaii:5-0, Mission: Impossible and Wild Wild West all get the classy full-season, reasonably-priced treatment, but other series get the slow, pricey half-season releases. Are there two different departments working on these?

This one takes it to the most ridiculous extremes--it's not even a four disc release, after they delivered such a nice product for season one. Maybe the accounting department is holding the dvd packagers hostage?

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 06:01 AM

The Box art and details are on TVSHOWSonDVD site, basically 20 of 39 episodes, for the same price we paid for the entire Season 1. Thanks for Bending me over CBS/Paramount.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted October 04 2007 - 09:39 AM

I hope this isn't a sign that Gunsmoke: The First Season sold poorly. They didn't seem to move very fast when I saw them in B&M stores.
BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

Forum Nav Content I Follow