Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Nosferatu: Ultimate Two-Disc Edition (11/20)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 of 35 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted September 17 2007 - 09:18 AM

Posted Image
Quote:
A cornerstone of the horror film, F.W. Murnau s NOSFERATU is triumphantly reborn in this breathtaking new restoration by the F.W. Murnau Foundation. Backed by an orchestral performance of Hans Erdmann s 1922 score (recorded in 5.1 stereo surround), this Kino International edition presents Murnau s masterpiece with unprecedented clarity and faithfulness to the original release version. This double-disc collection presents the film with the original German intertitles as well as with newly-translated English intertitles. Accompanying the film is a 52-minute documentary by Luciano Berriatúa which provides a detailed account of the production and explores the filmmakers involvement in the occult.

#2 of 35 OFFLINE   GlennWD

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted September 17 2007 - 10:08 AM

Nice to finally get a decent release of this film!
Best of Film - Jaws, The Godfather Part I & II, Casablanca, M, Citzen Kane, Ben-Hur, The French Connection, Rear Window, King Kong.

Best of Television - The Twilight Zone, M*A*S*H, Night Gallery, I Love Lucy, Hogan's Heroes, Cheers, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

My DVD Collection

#3 of 35 OFFLINE   Richard Matich

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted September 17 2007 - 12:29 PM

Wow! Potemkin and Nosfuratu. Posted Image Expenseive year. LOL

#4 of 35 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 03:16 AM

I was waiting for this to hopefully be announced by Eureka for R2 as part of their MOC series, but I just may dive into this release!

#5 of 35 OFFLINE   R-T-C Tim

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 03:37 AM

It has been announced by Eureka, including a 92 page book:

http://www.dvdoutsid...s/07/09/12.html
Mondo Esoterica.net - From the Wild West to Gothic Europe...

#6 of 35 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 04:12 AM

I thought so, I was sure I'd seen it somewhere!!

Pass on Kino... the MOC disc is a MUST-OWN!!!

Surely the Criterion Collection of the UK!

#7 of 35 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 05:09 AM

Will the MOC disc be PAL?

I have a PAL to NTSC converting player now, but I'd rather not use it unless it's my only choice like with "Johnny Got His Gun".

#8 of 35 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 05:43 AM

Are the two identical as far as features? The transfers sound like they're the same.

#9 of 35 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted September 18 2007 - 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson
Will the MOC disc be PAL?

Yes, of course. My order is already in; I've waited a long time to get a 'definitive' edition. A few more details at DVD Times.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#10 of 35 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP
Are the two identical as far as features? The transfers sound like they're the same.

I believe all of Eureka's transfers are their own, like CRITERION.

I've yet to hear of them porting over existing transfers as all of their past releases have been new remasters.

CHECK OUT THE SCREEN GRABS!!!

http://www.criterion....=4982&start=25

(Btw John, in the past a few of Eureka's ['Fantastic Planet'] transfers were NTSC standard)

#11 of 35 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 06:32 AM

O-T: I wonder how Sansho Dayu will compare to the Criterion release...

I hope DVDBeaver reviews them alongside one another.

#12 of 35 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 06:52 AM

It'd be kinda weird having two two-disc editions of this film released almost simultaneously with different extras.

#13 of 35 ONLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,954 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted September 18 2007 - 08:14 AM

Sounds like a great set, but now i will have two copies, because i truly love the loki hess comentary on the image release, if the was on here this would be a hands down winner, so much extra on that old set.
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#14 of 35 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 05:06 AM

so what is the difference between the two ?
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#15 of 35 ONLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,954 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted September 19 2007 - 06:20 AM

http://www.dvdbeaver......vs Kino.html

discusses the difference between the original Image release, and the authorized restored version that Kino recently put out,

run times are definitely different, by almost 13 minuets, the tinting issues is a different story, while the review states that it is better for the night sequences. Great dissicusion in there , completely different page. Doesnt break it down that Murnau had a specific pallet in mind for the tinting. for further reading i suggest

http://www.celtoslav....eiche/nos.html

the image film provides a feature-length scholarly audio commentary by German silent film connoisseur Lokke Heiss. along with a a follow up tour extra feature , of the town that it was shot in and the condition of it today. Completely off topic is in seeing some of the over head shots i swear that the same village was used for Williy Wonka, it looks that close.
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#16 of 35 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 02:06 PM

Those screen captures are incredible!!!

Will be pre-ordered definitely!

#17 of 35 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 09:24 PM

In regards to the Image vs. Kino discussion...
Kino's PQ is definitely crisper than the Image disc however there is a awful lot of print damage and unstable image in the KINO release...it says on the package that this print is "mastered from a color-tinted 35mm negative restored by the Cineteca del Comune die Bologna at the laboratories of L'Immagine Ritrovata. It is licensed by Transit Films on behalf of the Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau-Stiftung, Wiesbaden, Germany." however considering the damage and unstable image was there any digital clean up done to this at all? I don't believe so. It's true that the Image release is rather soft because of the digital work done to it but it has a much cleaner image and the frame doesn't jump around nearly as much as the KINO print.

Nonetheless the KINO print is sharp and much more detail is revealed...I just wish the had done at least a little clean up to it, the only other distraction on the Kino disc is that it is DARK...man I mean dark dark. This may indeed give it some detail boost but I think they could have restrained themselves at least a little bit on the gamma controls.

The music...yeah, well...I miss the organ score on the Image release, the two Kino scores are on either end of the spectrum, the Gerard Hourbette and Thierry Zabiotzeff score (performed by Art Floyd...whoever that is) is the better of the two in certain spots but is overly heavy handed...hell..completely HEAVY HANDED all the way through...even so it is serviceable and is much better than the 5.1 electronic score on the Image disc, the other score is by Donald Sosis with vocals by Greta Schroder and also has it's up's & down's but in the end, at least in my opinion, is entirely too light for the film...I mean how many synth pan flutes can a person take in a horror film...hell, how many pan flutes can a person take at all?

I eagerly await this release as I feel neither of the upscale R1 releases have completely done the film justice. Fingers crossed.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#18 of 35 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 12:01 AM

^ The new MOC release restores the original accompanying music score as they have discovered the sheet notes!

#19 of 35 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti
^ The new MOC release restores the original accompanying music score as they have discovered the sheet notes!

The new Kino as well. Which is why I'd like to see the full specs.

#20 of 35 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 08:08 AM

I was also referring to the new Kino release....which is what this thread is about, yes?
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow