Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

winlogon .exe error driving me nuts

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Bob Graz

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted September 15 2007 - 01:58 AM

I have had an intermittent problem that is making me crazy. I randomly get an error when shutting down. I'll shutdown the machine and it will reboot instead of turning off. When it reboots I get the following error messages: Winlogon.exe winlogon.exe encountered a problem and needed to close. szAppName : winlogon.exe szAppVer : 0.0.0.0 szModName : uxtheme.dll szModVer : 6.0.2900.2180 offset : 000012b9 Error Report Contents C:DOCUME~1ROBERT~1LOCALS~1TempWERafd0.dir00w inlogon.exe.mdmp C:DOCUME~1ROBERT~1LOCALS~1TempWERafd0.dir00a ppcompat.txt Sometimes my PC shuts down fine, sometimes it reboots on its own and I get this error. Sometimes when it reboots after I try to shut it down, it changes my Display Property Appearance from Windows Classic to Windows XP. I have run Spybot, Ad-aware, AVG, MS on line AV and Housecall on-line AV. At this point I'm not really convinced if it's an AV issue or some messed up register issue. I'm about ready to reload the PC and start fresh, but would prefer not to if there is an easier fix. I'd appreciate any recommendations on what the issue may be. Thanks, Bob

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 3,031 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted September 15 2007 - 03:58 AM

Sounds like a Trojan I heard about a few months go. Try googling winlogon.exe and see what comes up.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Bob Graz

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 01:27 PM

After numerous web searches for this I finally found an answer. Apparently this isn't an uncommon problem. The fix was to go into Control Panel, Admin tools, Component services, services, themes and set themes from auto to disabled. Since doing this my issue with rebooting and theme changes upon start up are gone. I don't quite understand the details of why it worked, but it did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users