What's new

DVD Review Death Proof Extended DVD Review (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i have a copy.

the extras are'nt too much.

there is an option in "scenes" to watch clips of the songs with 3 extended songs.

picture looks exactluy like an old movie from the 70's, plenty of scratches and a missing frame here and there.

features are

hot rods of death proof

death proof international trailer

international poster gallery

and a few sneak peaks
planet terror
black sheep
feast

and that it.

15 minutes into the movie. zzzzzzzzz

hope it gets good quick.

John CW

Supporting Actor
Errrr... they appear to be different extras to my copy. Are you sure you own it? The review linked talks about each extra, and there's a second disc... I don't recall seeing a documentary called "The Hot Rods of Death Proof". Is this a bootleg, perhaps?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to speak for Tony but I believe he has a rental copy from Blockbuster. Maybe the Weinstein/Blockbuster deal led to an exclusive featurette?

EDIT: There's going to be a bonus 30 minute making-of featurette (I assume it's added to disc two as opposed to being a separate bonus disc) and 'steelbook' packagaing at Best Buy.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
travis, yep.

Perks of the job,early rentals.

Btw I did not like the movie.
after the nojvelty of the gh effects were over, including not continuing
in the movie itself, it just was a bore.

The end was just stupid

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

You, and many others. I happened to like it quite a bit, but I see where your coming from. I think the point of the film was not to make an epic picture you have to go see, but rather a strange throwback to those 70's B films that are pointless, and almost too absurd to watch. Those films are gone, but Tarantino brought back the feel of those films all too well.

Planet Terror on the other hand was completely stupid. Why does it have that scratchy old movie vibe, only to be riddled with CGI? Kind of defeats the whole purpose. Besides it felt a lot like From Dusk Till Dawn, and that is one of the worst movies I have seen.

John CW

Supporting Actor
I felt ambivalent about Death Proof, but when I saw Tarantino talk about it and explain his choices, I could understand why people like my girlfriend think it's fantastic. I could have gone either way, but he explained some of things that bugged me (and my girlfriend backed it up) and I now also think it's great!

You should check out the first part of my Q&A blog (linked above) and see if it crosses over with any of the bits you didn't like.

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
What about the fake trailers? I am dying to see the one for Thanksgiving again. I still think Roth should make that movie...

John CW

Supporting Actor

You should read my review, there's a very good reason why the trailers were left off the individual releases.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As much as I'd love to live in a world where Grindhouse turns into a modern day Rocky Horror or Eraserhead and plays midnight shows forever, I think that you'll see a release of Grindhouse on DVD at some point in time.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator

Please explain. I can think of only a couple dozen movies that I like more than FROM DUSK TILL DAWN.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
what does he have to explain.

he doesnt like the movie.
neither do i, at least the second part.
the Q section in the begining is fine the Rodriguez section is ridiculous and over the top.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

I hated the look of the vampires, and as soon as they are introduced in the film, it becomes absolute rubbish. Loud, chaotic, and over the top. Probably what RR intended, but it's not my cup of tea. Just my opinion. I didn't care for it.

Well, Planet Terror does have one good thing about it. Rose Mcgowan is stunning throughout.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

That's where I think the movie failed. Tarantino tried to recreate something that can't be recreated. Every time there was an abrupt cut, a sound dropout, continuity error, b&w stretch, etc - I felt like QT was screaming at me "Look, it's a 70's B movie !!!". It was trying too hard. If I want to watch a 70's B movie, then I'll rent a B movie that was filmed in the 70's.

To make matters worse, the film simply dragged on for way too long. There was very little action and the dialog was simply uninteresting. Pop-culture references can only take you so far.

I haven't seen Planet Terror yet, but from what I've heard it sounds like RR understood that to parody this genre was the best approach.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Yup,
Not too long ago, I watched a bunch of 70's B movies like Pom Pom Girls, The Van, along with a few of the schlotzy 70's horror films like The Car, and Craze. If you mixed the 2 types of films you'd get Death Proof. Tarantino knew exactly what he was doing.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Is this going to be available to rent via NetFlix? I had it at the top of my queue this morning and it didn't get shipped out. I always get Tuesday's releases shipped on Monday. (assuming I've returned one of course)
Will NF offer it to rent or what? Anyone know?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Hi All - as soon as I get my review copy I will watch and post the review as quickly as possibe. I am really looking forward to this one!

Thanks,
Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks