What's new

Blow Out - The De Palma Film (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
With all the talk of the new Saturday Night Fever DVD's, I was reminded of Blow Out, the Brian De Palma film with Travolta and Nancy Allen. Did a search and didn't find it.

I see there is a DVD that's been out for a few years, what's the opinion of the disc's quality, and extras, if any?

Perhaps there isn't much of an opinion of the film or not that many like it?

Thanks, Nelson

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I love Blow Out. As far as I'm concerned the disc is fine (especially at the price that you'd be able to get it for now) but I'm not a guy who watches a DVD with a bit meter and magnifying glass hoping to find flaws either.

Unfortunately, the only extra is a trailer. I think they made some featurettes but MGM decided not to put them on the disc.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Travis! I don't watch with a bit meter either! Sounds good though, you liked it and the price is good.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Perfectly fine. No extras. I watch this on my 92 inch screen at least once a year, so it should hold up, visually, on most systems until an HD or remastered release. A little murky, but looks better than Dressed To Kill.

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
Blow Out on DVD was a revelation for me, never having seen it in widescreen. You will love this disc.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I like the film - I'm sure a lot of other people here like it as well. It's an interesting film, anyway. My opinion of DePalma films in general isn't very high, his films are kind of hit or miss (mostly miss, IMO), but I think this is one of his better ones. (Hey and Dennis Franz is in it! :P)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Love Blow-Out. I bought both it and Dressed to Kill when they were released. I sold Dressed to Kill at some point, but I've held onto Blow-Out.... in fact, maybe I'll throw it on tonight...

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

Wow great contribution.

I think Blow Out is one of De Palma's best films. It is obviously heavily influenced by Antonioni's film Blow Up. I think the current DVD is acceptable quality, I doubt it will ever be re-issued in better quality. I'm just glad it is available, I never found it on VHS.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I find Blow Out to be a great film - it may actually be my favourite De Palma film. The grasp of cinematic technique is exquisite: awesome cinematography by Vilmos Zsigmond, with some of the best deep focus via split diopters I have ever seen (the shot witgh Travolta and the owl in perfect focus is one of my all-time favourite shots in all of Cinema); the editing just gloroius, too. Lithgow's Burke is one of the creepiest villains ever. When MGM were bring out SEs of their De Palma films, I was sure that we'd see Blow Out, too, but it never happened, which was a major bummer for me, as I sold my copy in preperation. It can be had for $5, but you know what would happen if I did that: a SE would be announced the next day.

Bo_Darville

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bo
i sentence all of you to solitary confinement where nancy allen's most- irritating-voice-in-the-world is pumped through the sound system 24/7 until you hang yourselves

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
add me to fan of the film.

i'm sure there was more filmed then we see on screen.
a former philly fm dj michael tierson(now on sirius) was in the movie.
his scene was a mere 2-3 second cameo.

after the movie came out he talked about how much longer his scene was and that he actualy had dialogue.

so there surely could be deleted footage available

being from philly i am biased to the film.
i drove through fairmount park to go to work, passing the area travolta used to record the sound of the crash, for 10 years heading into chestnut hill.

also the old Wanamaker store of which travolta crashes his jeep into the window was were we always went to see Santa every christmas when we were kids.

lots of good philly scenery in blow out.

nothing wrong with having an opinion of dislike for a film, just dont be a j.a.
while doing it.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I remember growing up with Blow Out on cable in pan and scan and that whole park sequence was completely butchered by the 4:3 compromise. Nothing lined up (screen direction). You couldn't tell what the hell was going on. What a revelation it was to see it in its proper widescreen aspect ratio on laserdisc. I was thrilled when it came out on DVD, even in its current barebones format. The 16:9 image was a special enough feature for me.

IIRC Laurent Bouzereau was going to do special stuff for the Blow Out DVD like Dressed To Kill, but for some reason it fell through (time tables or something). I can see this thing being re-released as a SE in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks