What's new

Supeman Doomsday: 9/18/07 release on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Didn't see anything on this figured I would post it. Looks very interesting, I will be purchasing it, here's the trailer

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Interesting. Its cool to see Dini and Timm tackle an adaptation of this (although I would have rather seen it done for the big screen).

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Hope its good! That whole big arc is still my favorite Superman story from the comics. Anyway, I just hope it's better than that Braniac movie from a year or so ago.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, I don't think Paul Dini worked on this one. But this was the story which got me hooked on comics, so I'm very excited to see this movie.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i look forward to this.
it is a rumored HD release later on.

btw, maybe someone can fix the speling in the title for future search needs.

Rolando

Screenwriter
would be curious to know how faithfull it is to the original comics it is. I remember reading that particular storyline and found it pretty good. anyone who read that storyline in comicbook form seen this yet?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Didn't notice the spelling error, hopefully a moderator can fix it. Saw some clips on youtube and I'm impressed. The only thing I'll be missing is:Lex's original profound voice

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Even though I'm looking forward to this one, I don't think the 75 minute running time can do the epic storyline justice. Will probably buy it, unless news of a HD version coming soon is announced.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

It's listed on Warner Brothers site in a section about upcoming HD discs. It shows a BD release, but no date is given. I think HD-DVD too. It's a crime this isn't released at the same time. Even though I didn't pick up, the Dr. Strange movie from a few weeks ago got simulatneous SD and BD releases.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I'm also a little disappointed by the 75 min running time, but after reading some reviews, I am really looking forward to this.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all---

I noticed that Best Buy has the standard DVD packaged with what appears to be a miniature version of the Justice League DC The New Frontier comic book. Does anyone know if it's the whole thing [trade paperbacks vol. 1 and 1] or just the first half?

mattl

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator
The NewFrontier comic is only like the first sixth or something. That's like a 300 page story or something, and they're just giving you a little taste.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all---

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll be returning my [unopened] copy to the store. I was holding off on opening it until I knew whether it was the complete New Frontier or not. I suspected it wasn't---it just didn't look thick enough for the whole story!

I'm looking forward to seeing DOOMSDAY, but the reality is that I will probably only watch it once...maybe twice. I've got a seven-year-old who absolutely loves SUPERMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES, but, with the PG-13 rating, I don't think it's appropriate to show him DOOMSDAY. He's an observant kid, and if the DOOMSDAY DVD is in the house, he'd eventually spot it and say something to the effect of, "You're holding out on me?" [Obviously, not in those exact words...! *grin*]

As a fan, it's cool to know that Timm and his team weren't restricted to a more tame presentation of the epic battle, which, if you think about it, would probably be pretty graphic. The prospect of seeing Superman in an all-out battle is a cool one.

But, as a parent who loves these characters and loves sharing them with my son, I'm disappointed that I can't share this one with him...at least not for a few more years.

And part of the reason I was buying it was because of the New Frontier comic. I've wanted to read it for quite some time now, but I just can't see handing over close to $40 for the two trade paperbacks. I thought the Best Buy DOOMSDAY DVD with the New Frontier comic was a bargain...but you get what you pay for, eh?

Thus, I'll probably return the DVD and just rent it sometime when I'm by myself. I'm still looking forward to seeing the movie, though!

mattl

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
My son has seen the trailer and the cover and he doesn't want any part of Superman dying. I plan to give it a spin tonite when the kids are in bed and the wife says no to my advances yet another night:laugh:. The disc says it's matted widescreen with 5.1 should be interesting.

Mike*Sch

Stunt Coordinator

Matt, it's really one of the tamest PG-13's you'll see. In fact, the creators have talked about how they had to find stuff to add to make it PG-13. If I had a 7-year-old, I'd show it to him/her. I'd compare it to STAR WARS: EPISODE II in terms of violence.

Matt Lucas

Stunt Coordinator

Umm...is there any blood? I remember reading an interview where Timm said DC wouldn't allow them to show blood because Superman's skin can't be cut, or something like that. But I swear I saw some blood during one of the trailer shots...

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I didn't mean to sound like I wouldn't give the film a chance, first! Of course, I'll watch it myself before allowing my son to see it, just like I do anything rated PG or higher.

I'm probably a little more careful than most people regarding what I let him watch, and my wife is even MORE careful. Honestly, I think she'd prefer that he not watch ANY of the Timm shows, particularly JLU. There are certainly episodes that I won't let him see---the creepier ones or the ones with hard-to-explain themes like the cage fighting ones. *grin*

I appreciate the CLONES comparison...that puts it into perspective. There are a couple of things in CLONES that push the limits a little, for me, in terms of what I want him to see, but it's not too bad. [I'm speaking about whether it's appropriate for a seven-year-old to watch, not about the actual quality of the film, which is a whole other issue...! *grin*]

FANTASTIC FOUR is another example. Most of it isn't bad, but there are a couple of lines of dialogue that aren't appropriate for little kids, and then there's the whole "Doom burning a hole in the guy in the garage" scene. Definitely had me jumping to cover up the kids' eyes on THAT one...!

Thanks again,
matt

Haden

Supporting Actor
There's definitely blood in this, both during the Superman/Doomsday fight, and when someone else is killed. I was surprised by how bloody the latter gets post-death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks