-

Photo
- - - - -

Fear of a Blank preorder

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted September 14 2007 - 03:46 AM

Porcupine Tree
Fear of a Blank Planet DVD-Audio (preorder now!) Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

A special limited edition audiophile 5.1 surround sound version of PT’s acclaimed 2007 album, released on the band’s own Transmission imprint. Features the 5.1 mix of the album in advanced resolution/MLP lossless 5.1 surround, DTS 5.1 digital surround sound, and 24 bit stereo, as well as all 4 tracks from the Nil Recurring mini album in surround sound.
>
DVD-A registry for hirez/surround audio
Bluray, DVD-Audio, DAD/HDAD, DualDisc, MVI

#2 of 21 OFFLINE   varybarry

varybarry

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted September 14 2007 - 05:39 AM

That's for the update. I've been waiting for this for sometime now. I can't wait for it to come!
Save some money on magazine subscriptions .

#3 of 21 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 17 2007 - 06:35 AM

Sweeeeeeet. Thanks for the heads-up!
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 24 2007 - 06:16 AM

Interesting. . .this looks to be a very limited release. It's not up for preorder at Amazon. Might have to order it direct from PT's site if you want to be sure of getting it.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted October 20 2007 - 03:03 PM

my album of the year just got better.

the sonics are simply awesome, the mix immersive and the songs are great especially including the Nil Recurring EP in 5.1
>

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted October 20 2007 - 11:23 PM

The difference between the mlp and dts versions is like night and day . Stunning ! The tones from Gavin Harrison drum kit and Steven Wilson's guitars are no longer mushy but beautiful discrete .

12 out of 10 !

~M~
I have just two words to say to you..... Shut the f*** up !

#7 of 21 OFFLINE   Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor

• 510 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted October 21 2007 - 12:44 AM

Order Placed my Ears can't Wait Posted Image
"IF the Facts don't Fit the Theory Change the Facts"    Albert Einstein

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted October 31 2007 - 04:49 PM

"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted October 31 2007 - 04:49 PM

Know the band, but haven't heard this one yet...I'm sure it sounds sublime, but how's the music?
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted October 31 2007 - 10:37 PM

http://blogcritics.o...0/20/033640.php
>

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,638 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted November 01 2007 - 06:29 AM

I must say I really like the new CD. My first PT CD I got was In Absentia, after hearing them on Radio Paradise and liking a lot of old progressive stuff and really liked it.. Bought Deadwing a little bit and heard a new song on Radio Paradise a bit and was like, is that a new PT song I hear? Bought the album and it's really great. Must see about getting some of the older CDs too, I've heard Signify is really good...

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   Philip_T

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted November 01 2007 - 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H
I must say I really like the new CD. My first PT CD I got was In Absentia, after hearing them on Radio Paradise and liking a lot of old progressive stuff and really liked it.. Bought Deadwing a little bit and heard a new song on Radio Paradise a bit and was like, is that a new PT song I hear? Bought the album and it's really great. Must see about getting some of the older CDs too, I've heard Signify is really good...

Jay

Wow, that is exactly how I was turned on to PT as well Jay (Radio Paradise). Picked up IA, then DW and was hooked. I've dabbled in some of their older albums and yes, Signify is pretty good, but my favorite pre-IA album is Lightbulb Sun. And for those who like the band, their live DVD is incredible and worth at least a rental.

I've only listened to this DVD-A a couple of times, but it is on par with the prior two DVD-A releases by PT. Very enjoyable. And I'm really enjoying the 4 bonus tracks as well!

Phil

#13 of 21 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 02 2007 - 04:51 AM

I'm listening to Lightbulb Sun right now. Posted Image Signify is excellent, but definitely mellower than LB, IA or DW. Be sure to check out Stupid Dream!

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,638 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted November 05 2007 - 11:33 PM

Philip T: I guess smart minds think alike Posted Image

How does one get Lightbulb Sun, it appears to be out of print (if I may borrow a book term) There is somebody on Amazon marketplace selling one for.....$171 Yikes, I don't like any band that much....

My favorite CD from PT is In Absentia...

Jay

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Philip_T

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted November 06 2007 - 02:46 AM

Jay H - Bummer, it does appear that LS is OOP. Checked Ebay and there was one copy for sale and it was already up to $41. Burningshed.com does not list it either. I wonder if Itunes would have it?

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 06 2007 - 05:23 AM

I'm sure they'll re-release Lightbulb Sun at some point, just like with all the other albums. Don't pay crazy prices for it now.

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   FeisalK

FeisalK

Screenwriter

• 1,245 posts

Posted November 06 2007 - 08:51 AM

11-05-2007
Porcupine Tree were awarded the prestigious best album of the year award for Fear of a Blank Planet at the Classic Rock awards ceremony, held at the Landmark Hotel in London. Also amongst the 300 attendees of the ceremony were Jimmy Page (receiving a lifetime achievement award), Tony Iommi, Jeff Beck, Ronnie James Dio, Nick Mason, Ian Paice, Lemmy, Bruce Dickinson, Stephen Tyler, and some bloke from Guns n' Roses that Richard and Steven (who accepted the award) has never heard of, though apparently he's quite famous if you like that kind of thing...

full winners list here
>

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted November 06 2007 - 08:56 AM

Lightbulb sun is already in the can and planned for release in early 2008 as a CD/Dvd-A set initially so save your cash . FOABP also won the 'Classic Rock album of the year

http://www.porcupinetree.com/news.cfm

~M~

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,638 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted November 07 2007 - 12:23 AM

Manus: Cool, thanks for the update....

Jay

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted November 07 2007 - 08:19 AM

No worries Posted Image
If you've ever heard of Steven Wilson's rock/ballad side project 'Blackfield' with Israeli artist Aviv Geffen , rejoice Posted Image because they've just released a concert dvd ' Blackfield Live in NYC ' with Stereo and dts sound .

The venue seems quite small and intimate but he's still a very powerful performer . Of their 2 released albums ( 1 + 2 ) , all songs minus 1 are performed live in this set :

http://www.cdunivers....&altsearch=yes

Also available as mp3 , Cd or Flac download here :

http://www.burningsh.../porcupinetree/

is 'Nil Recurring ' a 4 track , 29 minute tour de force 'left over ' from the Blank Planet sessions . Well worth it .

I'm going to see them on friday in London , can't wait Posted Image

~M~