What's new

Any Significance? (Indiana Jones) (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Its just a place holder. Amazon does that all the time. Don't count on Indy anytime soon.

Doug

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
Yeah.

But it seemed to pop up only recently.

But I look now and it's been up there since at least July...

With the next Indian Jones coming out in the summer, is it likely they wait to release those untill next holiday along with the 4th one? Or release em' this year, gather interest, and also promote the 4th installment. 4 films at once is a tougher sell then having them spread out.

I donno, i'm partly making my post seem somewhat significant instead of a wast of space. :laugh:

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I doubt it will happen anytime soon. But if it did, THAT would be enough to get me to buy into one of these formats. There are three trilogies, that if released would make me immediately jump into HD-- Indy, Star Wars, and Back to the Future.

Without any of those on HD disk, I'm content to wait this war out.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
You have to think that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull will almost certainly get a HD-DVD/Blu Ray release in the fall of 2008.

Wouldn't it make sense to release the other three movies in hi-def at the same time?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

absolutely. adoption for both formats is only going to increase in the interm, and next year will have Iron Man, Dark Knight, Star Trek TOS2, Alien to sweeten the proposition, as well as all the people who bought a nice shiny new HD display this Christmas and could be in the market then for a $200 enhancement.
I consider the IJ films a near certainty. Though, like with DVD I'm sure we will have to buy the boxset for the first three.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I wouldn't count on it. Think about how long it was before the Star Wars films were put on DVD. More likely it will be a DVD only release.

Doug

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
While not that often, I agree with Doug here.

Plus Amazon has a poor track record with their predictions. There's zero concrete evidence this will come out.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I bet we don't see a hi-def version on Indiana until that next/last film hits sd-dvd. And I'm even skeptical about that.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Chris A. My prediction is that we will see a high-def release next fall to tie in with the home video release of Indy IV. At least I hope that's the case(fingers crossed).

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i recently ran across my Die Hard SE set, which still had the price sticker on it from Best Buy. I think this set was released in 2001 or 2002 and the price was something like $75.

Right now, a set of these films can be had brand new for $27.99

Are they selling considerably more now at almost 1/3 the price?
Probably not, because a great majority of people already own these films on dvd by now.

I think people like Lucas and Spielberg are going to realize the realities of HD, and when and how often and to what extent average consumers are going to be re-buying titles on these formats.

They are going to realize that it will be far more advantageous to sell fewer, sooner, but at a higher premium than it will be to wait and try to get 'the masses' to re-buy at much lower prices.
The longer they wait, thelonger the 'masses' will be living with the idea that catalog titles are only 'worth' the sub $5 they pay for them in the Wal-mart bins.
The studios best bet is to hit up early adopters for a premium...just the way they are appealing to the collector mentality today with Blade Runner Briefcases and other novelty sets, that cost relatively little to produce, but can be sold for a much higher price point than a simple DVD package of a costly remaster.

That's why I expect these kinds of films sooner on HD than we saw most of them on DVD.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

that's ok- you can hold your breath...and then exhale as soon as Lucas has something to tie it in with...like a TV series premiere perhaps.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Indy and Star Wars would be great to have on these formats but lets get real, this is all just fantasy at this point. If you're expecting these in the near future you're setting yourself up for some major disappointment but have at it, what do I care. Me on the other hand, I have serious doubts.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Again, IF they are going to release IJ 4 on HD, it would be very tempting to release the other 3 on HD as well (boxset anyone?). I just can't see them releasing IJ4 and not the other three as well.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. Take Spider-Man 3 for example. Regardless of what you think of the movie, there was a perfect opportunity to box it up with the other two and sell a box set of the trilogy which is exactly what's happening in October. Not saying this will happen w/ Indiana Jones, but Lucas and Spielberg are about as shrewd as it gets business-wise and this time next year they'll be looking at a great chance to cash in on the IJ franchise.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
However, Indiana Jones is one of the biggest catalog titles and it's a guaranteed winner any time they release it. Also keep in mind that The Phantom Menace came out on its own (and that was two years after the VHS) and it took another three years after that for the OT to come out.

That being said, I'd love to be wrong and see Indy in HD. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks