• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted September 13 2007 - 07:47 AM

Since I read Dave Mack's OMG-I'm-40! thread and saw those of us in that age group, I wondered if any of you guys color your hair...

Myself, I don't. I'm letting it slowly change over; luckily, I have a full head o' hair (not even a bald spot) and can see the 'highlights'. At first, it was a little disconcerting, but I never even considered heading for the guy hair color section of the ol Wal-Mart.

Fess up. Do ya or don't ya...
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#2 of 27 mylan

mylan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted September 13 2007 - 07:54 AM

I'm 42 and still have the same color as I had in my 30's, there is no trace of grey but when it happens I will let it grey naturally. I have a slight receding hairline but I keep it short so it is not noticable, no bald spots.
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#3 of 27 Ken CM

Ken CM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted September 13 2007 - 08:12 AM

For Me:

Home Theater = DIY

Hair Color = Professional
I'm not child-less - I'm child-free

#4 of 27 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,306 posts

Posted September 13 2007 - 09:25 AM

No, although it's just starting to gray at the temples, Reed Richards-style.

Although I will admit that the beard is probably not coming back in ever again.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#5 of 27 Elphaba

Elphaba

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted September 13 2007 - 10:44 AM

I'm not a guy, but I do have mine dyed. I'm not going gray yet at 40, but my natural hair color is this awful mousy color in between blonde and brown, so I get it darkened to a nice chestnut.

#6 of 27 BrianW

BrianW

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted September 13 2007 - 11:36 AM

I've lost as much hair as I think I'm going to, but my beard started graying about ten years ago and is working its way up. So far, the gray has reached my temples and isn't relenting. The older I get, the more I think it suits me.
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#7 of 27 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,517 posts

Posted September 13 2007 - 03:05 PM

I'm 42 and blonde (well, during the summer) and it hides the gray well. Used to wear a goatee, but that's been gone for a long time. I keep it short (it's thinning compared to my 20's, but I had a thick mop of hair in my 20's, the barber used to have to thin it out just to cut it). I'll never dye it.

#8 of 27 DaveHo

DaveHo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted September 14 2007 - 01:22 AM

36 here, no gray yet. My parents are into their late 60's/early 70's & barely have any gray. Hopefully the trend continues.

I work with a number of guys who dye their hair. No they haven't said they do, it's just that obvious. If you're going to dye it, make sure you know what you are doing.

-Dave

#9 of 27 Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationAnaheim. CA

Posted September 14 2007 - 01:26 AM

48, no dye, hair still coppery brown. I wear a full beard, and it is greying on my jawline.

My mother is 82, we share exactly the same hair color, and she has only a strand or two of grey in hers. Hopefully that is a good sign.
I have learned that some pain cannot be healed, but must be endured. I believe our Higher Power will help us to endure and find peace. I loved the boy with the utmost love of which my soul is capable and he is taken from me-yet in the agony of my spirit in surrendering such a treasure, I feel a thousand times richer than if I had never possessed it."
-- William Wordsworth 1812

#10 of 27 Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,764 posts

Posted September 14 2007 - 04:02 AM

Its not the stray gray hair that bothers me... but I have one(1) bone-white facial hair follicle sitting alone in a sea of black & reddish brown beard.

So far using tweezers is alot less messy than trying to dye one hair.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#11 of 27 drobbins

drobbins

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted September 14 2007 - 04:48 AM

44 yrs old, thinning out on top, whats left is 1/2 grey - no dye although the wife has talked to me about it.

#12 of 27 Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted September 14 2007 - 04:56 AM

I'm just turned 46, and have red hair. I lost most of the top when I was in my late 20s and early 30s. I still have a lot on the sides and back though. I am starting to grey a little at the temples. I have thought about coloring my hair. From what I've seen, red is not easy to match. I would never do it myself and will have it professionally done if done at all. I need to decide fast because I don't want to be one of those guys who is grey one day and back to red the next.

My beard has been grey for a while. I've never gown a beard or mustache so it's not a problem for me.

#13 of 27 Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,817 posts

Posted September 14 2007 - 04:58 AM

I'm really starting to turn gray this year. I'm hoping it turns into a bright white, wild head of hair. Then I can run around like a mad scientist.

#14 of 27 Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted September 14 2007 - 05:06 AM

I like Dave's mad scientist idea!

"Marty! We're gonna send you...back to the future!"
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#15 of 27 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Advanced Member

• 28,173 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 14 2007 - 05:30 AM

FWIW, 48. Full head of hair. Completely white (used to be brown).

Started to go grey in high school. Irish thing.

Happy with this situation. Completely comfortable with the grey hair. Would be uncomfortable about hair loss. Don't know why. But glad I don't have to deal with it.

Both of my kids are red-heads. Mother is a brunette. That recessive Irish red-hair gene really kicked in big time for them. I expect they will start to turn grey early...although at ages 17 & 21 it hasn't seem to have started yet.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#16 of 27 Vlad D

Vlad D

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted September 14 2007 - 07:08 AM

Still have a full head of brown hair, no gray yet. But my beard (goatee) started to turn gray about 4-5 years ago, now it has that "salt-n-pepper" look. I actually like the natural look, so no dye for me. Plus my wife says it looks cool.

BTW, is it gray or grey.

#17 of 27 Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted September 15 2007 - 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
Started to go grey in high school. Irish thing.

Hmmm...I didn't know that, Mike. I am Irish with red hair, and as I said earlier, just started going grey at 46. I must have something else in my ancestry blocking that early Irish grey gene. lol

#18 of 27 Elphaba

Elphaba

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted September 15 2007 - 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad D

BTW, is it gray or grey.

Both are correct. Gray is more common in the US, and grey in the UK, but both are equally correct.

#19 of 27 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Advanced Member

• 28,173 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 15 2007 - 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_CusBlues
Hmmm...I didn't know that, Mike. I am Irish with red hair, and as I said earlier, just started going grey at 46. I must have something else in my ancestry blocking that early Irish grey gene. lol

That could just be a misconception on my part. Or else your genes may just be better than mine, Jeff! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#20 of 27 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Advanced Member

• 18,468 posts

Posted September 16 2007 - 07:45 AM

Those of you who dye ... do you, uhm, try to make the sleeves match the collar? Posted Image
(Quote attributed to Mae West, if I remember correctly.)

Cees

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow