-

Photo
- - - - -

Best Titles for Showcasing Surround and HD DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 lptudor

lptudor

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted September 12 2007 - 10:16 AM

Can someone point me to a thread that contains movie titles that are great for showcasing surround sound and HD DVDs?

I searched around and didn't find it. But I imagine it's here and that I just missed it. Thanks

#2 of 8 Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 365 posts

Posted September 13 2007 - 02:25 AM

I am not sure if there is a specific thread, this could be it!

I recommend HOt Fuzz! Best HD sound track I have heard. Constantine was good too.

#3 of 8 Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted September 16 2007 - 09:16 AM

Batman Begins , 300 , Running Scared ( Germany ) , T2 ( France) , Blood Diamond , Bourne Supremacy , Contantine definitely , Mission Impossible 3 and Shaun of the Dead for good squelchy zombie fun :o)

Dont forget some discs have a 'Bookmarks' facility to keep track of your favourite sections too .

~M~
I have just two words to say to you..... Shut the f*** up !

#4 of 8 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,552 posts

Posted September 16 2007 - 12:19 PM

I seem to think good surround is something completely different from almost everyone else. There are tons of action flicks with impressive surround, as in, loud, dynamic and so on. For me, there are two which really stand out. First, the first 20 minutes or so of Master and Commander, and second, several moments in The Others, but you have to watch the entire movie to find tham, and you have to actually be watching the movie for them to really work. These are what I call especially effective use of surround.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#5 of 8 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted September 16 2007 - 04:44 PM

John,

You are not alone. These two films along with Das Boot have excellent ambient surround effects--creaking timbers, footsteps wandering overhead, water dripping all around.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#6 of 8 Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 365 posts

Posted September 17 2007 - 05:34 AM

Maybe we could keep the discussion focused on HD DVD's that have good surround sound... I agree that M&C and The Others are both good but neither is available on HD DVD and I think that was the point of this thread.

Dave

#7 of 8 SherardP

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 04:51 AM

Harry Potter, Band of Bros, Underworld, are excellent ones. You can find these at xploitedcinema.com with the exception of band of bros on amazonjp.com

#8 of 8 Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 410 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 10:09 AM

Band of Brothers is now available on xploited . You can buy them individually or as a set . They also have the latest german and polish releases eg. Mr & Mrs Smith , Silent Hill , Tomb Raider 2 etc .

Brotherhood of the Wolf is good too !

~M~
I have just two words to say to you..... Shut the f*** up !