What's new

SNL Season 2 (1 Viewer)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I took a look at the packaging and I must say...they've outdone themselves. The set looks absolutely amazing. I figured that from now on they'd only release each season in a cardboard slipcase like the way S1 was after the initial shipments...from a shelf space standpoint, I'd prefer that, but when I look at that first season on my shelf, it's nothing but classy, so I'm glad they continued that. I know Dave mentioned "behind-the-scenes" insight in the booklet, so I'm hoping it's more than photos this time (or at least captions). I'm also glad that they didn't go with a generic picture of the cast this time around, even with Murray there, the cast doesn't change again until season 5 (when John and Dan left) so it'd be pretty monotonous.

I'm surprised George Harrison isn't mentioned as one of the musical guests, if I were Universal I'd love to capitalize on a Beatle's presence.

I can't read the disc contents, but there's definitely some text under the lone Disc 8 episode--I really hope that the Mardi Gras episode is there.

Looks amazing, it'll be tough waiting for Christmas on this one especially since the Paul Simon/George Harrison ep is one of my all-time favorites (Best. Monologue. Ever.)

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well I just checked www.tv.com and according to their episode listing, there are 23. Of course this INCLUDES the Mardi Gras special which aired between episode #12 (Ruth Gordon / Chuck Berry) and episode #14 (Fran Tarkenton / Leo Sayer).

But since the ad says the set contains 22 episodes, I'm led to believe the Mardi Gras special is not present. As for the text on disc 8, it says "Saturday Night Live" just as the other 7. I don't see any additional text.

The special would indeed make a great bonus feature though and should be included for all rights and purposes.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for the confusion--I didn't mean on disc 8 itself, but on the digipack under the book. There's definitely something written under the "Buck Henry/Kenny Vance, Jennifer Warnes" info in white all-caps. It almost looks like the first line is "Bonus Feature" but it's way too small to tell.

Bill Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill Robertson

Yeah, looks pretty sweet. Think I'm going to pre-order this one. I held off on the Season one set and when I did buy it I ended up with the slipcase non-book version...then right after I bought it they launched a Region 2 version here in the UK that replicated the original set :frowning:

Real Name
Jim
Me neither, because I was just 8 years old when it first aired. Even though they did the New Orleans SNL special in prime time (on a Sunday evening). I didn't start watching SNL until 1981.

SNL prime time offerings have become a tradition ever since, thanks to Lorne Michaels. The difference is that the Mardi Gras one in 1977 was the only one that was LIVE. It doesn't bother me that they had multiple hosts or that the cameras caught one man throwing up and another pissing in the street. That's reality and it adds to the going-ons. It certainly doesn't sound like a "disaster" as the book I read suggests. They were wrong about other shows. Even the Milton Berle one from 1979 (which I got a VHS master tape of in the mid 1990s) was good overall.

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
Actually there were seven live specials, with six of those airing in prime time. SNL At The Mardi Gras was the first of course.

It aired within a showcase program for specials called The Big Event on Sunday 20-Feb-77. I of course hope that it’s included, but in addition that it contains The Big Event opening as it originally aired live.

The second live special was the 90 minute SNL Film Festival which aired on 02-Mar-85. That was during the regular SNL slot, but the remaining live specials were all broadcast during prime time.

24-Sep-89 SNL 15th Anniversary (Sunday)

26-Sep-99 SNL 25th Anniversary (Sunday)

01-Feb-01 SNL Primetime Extra #1 (Thursday)

08-Feb-01 SNL Primetime Extra #2 (Thursday)

26-Jan-03 SNL Weekend Update Halftime Show (Super Bowl Sunday)

http://www.io.com/~serpas/SNL/specials.txt

I really hope that they have corrected the mistakes made with season one and truly offer every episode in their original 90 minute format just as advertised. The bumpers that appear during the Eric Idle / Joe Cocker episode in particular are unique. All of them are with Idle standing in the back of a room. As the show moves along, each successive photo of Idle shows him with fewer and fewer layers of clothing. Then in the final one he is shown bent over and using his hands to cover himself up.

Here is some of the classic art from season two. For Karen Black / John Prine note that there’s no representational photograph. People like me who have contributed to that website with their own collections don’t have any bumpers from that episode. We’re all really hoping to finally see them within this set.

http://snl.jt.org/season.php?i=1976

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

IIRC the reason it was labeled as a disaster was because they were suppose to give constant joke updates on the parade, but it was canceled because a guy died somehow right before/during it. I've never seen it either, but I know that Buck Henry apparently made a joke about "Mardi Gras" being French for "no parade."

Despite its reputation, it really would be a shame if it were excluded. The Louise Lasser show was left out of syndication from what I understand because Lorne despised it so much but thankfully it was on the season 1 set so who knows.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Did the Mardi Gras ep ever reach syndication ? I don't ever recall seeing it. But some reason I could swear I'd seen the Louise Lasser ep in syndie before. Too bad they didn't make good on their threat and have Chevy do her parts in a wig. Would have been better.

But thanks for starting a 2nd Season thread. The first one was getting rather musty and cramped.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Terrific news about the Mardi Gras special. I confess that I haven't quite finished watching all of season 1, but I sure am looking forward to season 2 on DVD.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Excellent, thanks Gord! Do you happen to know what other bonus material (if any) will be included?

I'm guessing we'll be seeing Bill Murray's screen test but who knows if they've got some other stuff in there too.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The Mardi Gras episode was either in syndication, or rerun in SNL's usual slot a couple of times. I know because I've seen it; just don't recall when.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Speaking of bounus material, does anyone know at what point the dress rehearsals started being recorded ? I know that in some cases the dress rehearsal versions of some sketches were sometimes substituted for the live versions once the show went into syndication. I've noticed at least one Church Chat that was changed for syndie.

It would be great to see rehearsal versions of some of the most famous sketches.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
it sounds like they had to kill the bumpers since it would require clearing the music playing behind them. Would be nice to have them, but that would be paying for another 100 plus songs

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks