Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SNL Season 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
138 replies to this topic

#41 of 139 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted November 04 2007 - 09:38 AM

Season 2. SNL. Posted Image

Best Christmas Present, EVER.

I'll be taking the Posted Image on a string - off the tree and having a good 'ole time.

#42 of 139 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,138 posts

Posted November 05 2007 - 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah
We won't know for sure until the set is released. This set won't be complete unless they use the live version for every episode, they don't cut any segments that re-aired and all the bumpers are included. I'll gladly take the photography with the music muted if licensing rights possibly contributed to the mess made of season one.

Yes, I agree we'll have to wait and see when the set comes out. Unfortunaley, I doubt that we'll get the bumpers. Maybe, but I doubt it.

#43 of 139 OFFLINE   bjdwsm

bjdwsm

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted November 13 2007 - 05:43 PM

As long as there's one from Karen Black, I'll be happy.

Is anyone going to be in possession of an advance copy? There are a few things I'm very curious about from show to show. I'll come up with a laundry list soon.

#44 of 139 OFFLINE   bjdwsm

bjdwsm

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted November 26 2007 - 01:30 PM

Someone posted at the Amazon page that the bumpers are cut. No word if he means that they just leave the one right before the credits or if they took that out as well. Karen Black also has a montage bumpers credit scroll (the live show ran long so there was no goodnights).

#45 of 139 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,138 posts

Posted December 04 2007 - 05:51 AM

The set is in my hot little hands right now. I can't wait to get home so I can start watching it. I'm sure that I'm going to love this set just as much as I loved season one.

#46 of 139 OFFLINE   bjdwsm

bjdwsm

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted December 04 2007 - 06:43 AM

There are a few things I'm curious about in the set:

Next week segments: I know Lear and Simon had them in their live broadcasts. Are those included on the set? Are there any others?
Pardo voiceovers: The telltale as to whether they used a rerun is if there's a jump in the closing theme to eliminate the reference to the next host, or if it used a canned version of the theme to get rid of the voiceover entirely. Any instances of this happening?
Segment shuffling: Are there any episodes with segments in a different order than in the Saturday Net episode guide? Nader is my big curiousity...the original broadcast had Coneheads after the Garbage film. The rerun version had Coneheads moved up to the post-Andy Kaufman slot.
A/V Issues: Some of these tapes held up better than others. Nader and Tarkenton have more faded pictures in all reruns I've seen (against black fields you can see bands of faded areas). Ruth Gordon has a clicking or popping sound throughout, and Buck Henry/Jennifer Warnes has a lower frequency response than the other episodes (similar to the Bergen/Stylistics episode in the last set). Were they able to fix these problems on the set or at least try to minimize them?
Bumpers: the last set cheated with some of the redone bumpers from the '81 syndication package. This shouldn't happen with this set but I'm just wondering if the 'Live' in the show's title is present in everything after 3/26/77. (the package would airbrush the word out). I'm glad to hear from the DVD-talk review that there is the one-a-show (better than none) but are they in every episode?

#47 of 139 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,138 posts

Posted December 04 2007 - 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdwsm
There are a few things I'm curious about in the set:

Next week segments: I know Lear and Simon had them in their live broadcasts. Are those included on the set? Are there any others?

I will keep an ear open for them as I watch the set.

Quote:
Pardo voiceovers: The telltale as to whether they used a rerun is if there's a jump in the closing theme to eliminate the reference to the next host, or if it used a canned version of the theme to get rid of the voiceover entirely. Any instances of this happening?

Again, I will listen for these.

Quote:
Segment shuffling: Are there any episodes with segments in a different order than in the Saturday Net episode guide? Nader is my big curiousity...the original broadcast had Coneheads after the Garbage film. The rerun version had Coneheads moved up to the post-Andy Kaufman slot.

This is something that I really wouldn't know anything about. I only ever saw these in reruns on the Best of Saturday Night Live broadcasts from in the later 70s. Someone else with better knowledge will have to respond to this part.
Quote:
A/V Issues: Some of these tapes held up better than others. Nader and Tarkenton have more faded pictures in all reruns I've seen (against black fields you can see bands of faded areas). Ruth Gordon has a clicking or popping sound throughout, and Buck Henry/Jennifer Warnes has a lower frequency response than the other episodes (similar to the Bergen/Stylistics episode in the last set). Were they able to fix these problems on the set or at least try to minimize them?

Hopefully they fixed some of these things, but again I will have to listen for them as I watch the set.

Quote:
Bumpers: the last set cheated with some of the redone bumpers from the '81 syndication package. This shouldn't happen with this set but I'm just wondering if the 'Live' in the show's title is present in everything after 3/26/77. (the package would airbrush the word out). I'm glad to hear from the DVD-talk review that there is the one-a-show (better than none) but are they in every episode?

Well, the missing bumpers are not that big of a deal to me. I like the way that they did this on the first season. As for the word 'Live' in the titles, again that will have to be a wait and see thing.

Either way, I know that I'm going to enjoy this set just as much, if not more, than the first set. I can't wait to get home and pop this in the player.

#48 of 139 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,947 posts

Posted December 04 2007 - 08:55 AM

Got mine in the mail today. First of all, the glue on the back of the package that holds the contents card is very tough. Lots of hardened residue on the DVD package when you pull the sheet off.

Nice package; the scrapbook is very cool; more than just pictures like last time. Many hand-written notes to Lorne Michaels.

Inner disc package is the same; very nice. Has all the episodes listed with hosts and music guests.

Cover doesn't close as well as Vol. 1 did. The cast picture on the inside is not raised so that it fits in the box.

Overall, a nice package, but the glue thing really bothers me.

(Of course, I haven't watched any episodes yet!)

UPDATE: I spot-checked episode 1, and there are no bumpers, just like in Season 1. I'm fine with that; I think the DVDs are well put-together, but for those who care, there you are.

#49 of 139 OFFLINE   bjdwsm

bjdwsm

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted December 04 2007 - 11:41 AM

No bumpers except for right befor the credits, or did they take that one out as well? The DVD Talk review mentioned they left the final one in.

#50 of 139 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,821 posts

Posted December 04 2007 - 11:54 AM

The final bumpers are present. I am in the middle of going through the set for an official review here. But it takes time as I want to go through each installment for the readers here. My intention is to post a review that goes through the year on a disc by disc basis, with each disc broken down by guest and singer.

Don Pardo's extensive outros are all included here, some of which are really funny. Although listening to Don Pardo singing at 1AM must have been a really different experience... The "coming next week" moments are here, including Gilda standing with Eric Idle (who has his back turned) during the Norman Lear ep. I would swear that I saw Jodie Foster sitting in the audience during the Ralph Nader episode but I can't be absolutely sure.

The Frank Zappa sets are delirious, to say the least. The Brian Wilson performance, on the other hand, is like watching a really bad accident.

There's a lot of great stuff here, but it really does depend on the guest host most times. Who'd have thunk that Dick Cavett would make such a good host (and do such an effective monologue - I was absolutely amazed at that one)? And who'd have thunk that Steve Martin would essentially walk right in and make himself so much at home? And who'd have thunk that the most effective skit on the Jodie Foster ep could well be her joining Michael O'Donoghue for an utterly charming rendition of "The Little Engine That..."

So the review is coming. Just give me time to go through the rest of the material and you'll see a lot of writing up here. If you have other questions, I'm happy to address them before the official review.

BTW I haven't gotten to Mardi Gras yet, but that's the hidden gem I'm waiting to watch, even if it proves why it was never aired again.

#51 of 139 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted December 04 2007 - 12:01 PM

There's a skit in one of the Eric Idle episodes (I think the first) with Dan Aykroyd as a multi-tasking DJ, and one of the songs he plays is "Stairway to Heaven." Did they somehow manage to pull off a miracle and get that song in there?

#52 of 139 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,821 posts

Posted December 04 2007 - 01:09 PM

I don't recall hearing any Zeppelin in the DJ sketch, but I'll recheck. I certainly heard Aerosmith and the disco version of Beethoven's Fifth...

#53 of 139 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted December 05 2007 - 02:18 AM

I watched part of the Mardi Gras special last night. Yikes! Jane just gets pelted with beads during her whole time. Just awful for her.

And I didn't realize this was the season with the Paul Simon / George Harrison episode. That was complete, even had the George Harrison music video for "Crackerbox Palace".

Great set.

#54 of 139 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted December 05 2007 - 02:21 AM

Mine didn't include a scrapbook, even though it's mentioned on the packaging.
Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#55 of 139 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,138 posts

Posted December 05 2007 - 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyC
There's a skit in one of the Eric Idle episodes (I think the first) with Dan Aykroyd as a multi-tasking DJ, and one of the songs he plays is "Stairway to Heaven." Did they somehow manage to pull off a miracle and get that song in there?

I saw this episode last night. Yes. They did manage to get to use that song. You only hear it for less than ten seconds but it was long enough to realize what it was. The fact that it was so short might have been the reason why they could still use it. It's barely there to begin with but it is there.

I got to see the first four episodes last night and I really enjoyed them. The show seems a lot better than season one. Better written. Better performances. Better structure. The writers really seem to be pushing the envelope a bit more in season two. The show is starting to get away with a lot more controversial things. It's starting to gel into the show that I remember. I know it's early to say this, but I can't wait to get season three.

#56 of 139 OFFLINE   bjdwsm

bjdwsm

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted December 05 2007 - 04:49 AM

Was there a bumper of Karen Black? For some reason all the broadcasts on E!, Global or Comedy Network cut every bumper from that one out.

#57 of 139 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,138 posts

Posted December 05 2007 - 06:13 AM

Yes, there was the end bumper for Karen Black.

#58 of 139 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,821 posts

Posted December 05 2007 - 07:03 AM

I'll confirm that the Karen Black end bumper is on there, although there are no goodnights on that episode. Not sure what really happened there, but the last sketch is actually a medley of songs on "American Coinage", starting with a very nice rendition of "Ten Cents a Dance" by Black (her best moment on the show), so-so renditions of "Pennies from Heaven" by Garrett Morris and "Put Another Nickel In" by Chevy Chase, an surprisingly on-key verse of "Brother Can You Spare a Dime" by Ayckroyd, and closing with an actually decent hit on "One For My Baby" (starting with "it's QUARTER to three") by Belushi while an onscreen text talks about how Belushi is constantly taking money from everyone and the show. While the music is still going, the visual fades to the end bumper of Karen Black, then the end credits roll over various still images from the opening titles. My only thought is that the show ran overtime with the song, but I have no way of confirming that. (unless someone out there has seen the original 1976 broadcast...)

As for the KLOG sketch in the third episode, "Stairway to Heaven" actually is heard VERY QUICKLY - only one line can actually be heard on one end, and then the music is quietly dialed down on the other. For completists, here is the full order of songs in the KLOG piece:

AM - Tony Orlando & Dawn "Candida"
FM - Mentions the Moody Blues but I didn't catch it, segues to Aerosmith
AM - Segues to "Devil Woman" (I think it's Cliff Richard)
FM - Segues to Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven"
AM - Segues to Beethoven's Fifth a la Disco
FM - Outros Zeppelin with "Stairway to Headphones" ad, segues to Black Sabbath
AM - Segues to "The Antler Dance" (okay guys, um,, THE ANTLER DANCE??!!!)
FM/AM - Segue to News Report for both stations
Radio is then heard in the "Killer Bees" sketch, turned off as Eric Idle begins to mutilate "Here Comes the Sun" in truly horrifying ways...

#59 of 139 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted December 05 2007 - 07:34 AM

Quote:
FM - Mentions the Moody Blues but I didn't catch it,
I believe that was "Tortise and the Hare"
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#60 of 139 OFFLINE   bjdwsm

bjdwsm

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted December 05 2007 - 10:11 AM

Quote:
While the music is still going, the visual fades to the end bumper of Karen Black, then the end credits roll over various still images from the opening titles. My only thought is that the show ran overtime with the song, but I have no way of confirming that. (unless someone out there has seen the original 1976 broadcast...)

I've got the Comedy Network broadcast, it just fades to black suddenly...it's been a while since I've seen it but I remember it seems like the text crawl speeds up like they're racing to the signal cutoff; there weren't any credits then either. I don't believe this episode had an encore presentation either, they must have made the credits for this release.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow