Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Britney at 2007 VMA

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#1 of 67 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,170 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 10 2007 - 05:59 AM

Lindsey Lohan and Vanessa Hudgens each have their own threads....

So...speaking of Britney, my morning newspaper ran a story about how her appearance Sunday night at MTV's Video Music Awards show showed her to be out-of-shape and lethargic. It also made the point that her ability to lip-synch seems to have disappeared and that her musical peers in the audience (among them friends like P Diddy) seemed confused by her performance.

I don't know about the out-of-shape part...but her dance performance is unusually restrained, lethargic and boring.

YouTube link.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 67 ONLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,674 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 10 2007 - 06:07 AM

It certainly gave her children one more thing to be embarassed about in the years to come.

I pity those boys.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#3 of 67 OFFLINE   Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted September 10 2007 - 06:21 AM

Her big " come back" performance was pretty bad. She use to be a pretty good dancer, although the lip syncing is nothing new. Honestly, I don't feel so bad for her. She has made some pretty stupid decisions in her life, which seems to be the thing with most of these hollywood teens and young adults.

I'm tired of the excuses these starlets give out to the press. If I signed a contract to do a job and spent all week partying and having fun, instead of working, you could bet your butt I would be fired.

Get your act together, stop acting like a godamn victim, take care of your responsibilities (for Britney, it would be her two kids) and join us in the real world.
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#4 of 67 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted September 10 2007 - 08:13 AM

It sucks performing with a bad hangover.

#5 of 67 OFFLINE   Ken Chui

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted September 10 2007 - 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
I don't know about the out-of-shape part...but her dance performance is unusually restrained, lethargic and boring.
I saw a sharper video on Yahoo and she is definitely on the Rubenesque side, i.e. flabby arms and sporting a visible paunch. If she was on a fitness regimen, the dividends were yet to be paid. She should have taken a few cues from Janet Jackson, or at the very least, hired her trainer.

#6 of 67 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,170 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 10 2007 - 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Chui
I saw a sharper video on Yahoo and she is definitely on the Rubenesque side,

"Not that there's anything wrong with that..." Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#7 of 67 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted September 10 2007 - 09:56 AM

Forgive me my ignorance about Ms. Spears, but the stories I've been seeing all day refer to this as her "comeback appearance." Has she been out of the spotlight or something? Her name is always in the tabloids and such. My question is, how was this performance a "comeback"? Where has the young woman been? (And, guys, you know I keep up with the popular culture, but Ms. Spears just never rated with me.)

#8 of 67 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,894 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted September 10 2007 - 10:02 AM

I think she hasn't made much music lately, and so her comeback refers to her actually doing something besides making press for partying. I try to take the position, "If we don't talk about her, maybe she'll go away." And yet, here I am. Mike Frezon is such a bad influence!

#9 of 67 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted September 10 2007 - 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
"Not that there's anything wrong with that..." Posted Image
Agreed. I realize that in a culture which seems to want women to look like young boys (with tits), this is a minority opinion Posted Image.

Now that performance does suck. Say what you will about her singing abilities, the girl used to be able to dance. She seems to have lost a great deal of flexibility and energy in that video. It might have been wiser to settle for a tamer number, at the cost of the opening act. More still, it is probably time for a prolonged hiatus from the limelight, and a reinvention of the character, setting the stage for a real comeback. Aguilerra successfully did it...

--
H

#10 of 67 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,170 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 10 2007 - 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H
I think she hasn't made much music lately, and so her comeback refers to her actually doing something besides making press for partying. I try to take the position, "If we don't talk about her, maybe she'll go away." And yet, here I am. Mike Frezon is such a bad influence!

Posted Image

Greg is right, Jack. You have seen her constantly mentioned in the tabloids and such...but it's all about the train wreck that is her personal life: (divorce, new guy, good/bad mom, partying, weight, cuts hair, new "look", family, custody fight).

But she has been out of it professionally (music and movies) and just living off her looks and fame.

#11 of 67 OFFLINE   Brian Perry

Brian Perry

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted September 10 2007 - 12:58 PM

At this point in her life, do you think Spears needs to work? I know she's made an awful lot of money, but so did Mike Tyson ($300+ million) and he's broke. I hope she didn't spend all her money and doesn't need this "comeback" to pay the bills, because it's looking disastrous.

#12 of 67 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted September 10 2007 - 01:00 PM

Yeah, that was a very lethargic performance. It looked like she was doing a slow motion walk-thru rehearsal.

As for 'out-of-shape'-- If that's out of shape, what the hell would you call 90% of the male and female population of this country?

#13 of 67 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,170 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 10 2007 - 01:35 PM

As Ken pointed out earlier, there are some much clearer versions on Yahoo Video.

Here is one of them. Just make sure to turn down your speakers! Posted Image

#14 of 67 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted September 10 2007 - 01:47 PM

Eh, I saw it live which was much better quality than any of these web videos and I still think don't think she looks out-of-shape. Not anywhere near the degree people seem to be making such a big fuss about, anyway.

#15 of 67 ONLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,674 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 10 2007 - 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Perry
At this point in her life, do you think Spears needs to work? I know she's made an awful lot of money, but so did Mike Tyson ($300+ million) and he's broke. I hope she didn't spend all her money and doesn't need this "comeback" to pay the bills, because it's looking disastrous.
It was just in the press that she still has income of about $750k per month. I don't know where all that money comes from considering she hasn't put out an album in nearly 4 years, and I can't believe her past catalog is selling that well.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#16 of 67 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted September 10 2007 - 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan X
Yeah, that was a very lethargic performance. It looked like she was doing a slow motion walk-thru rehearsal.

As for 'out-of-shape'-- If that's out of shape, what the hell would you call 90% of the male and female population of this country?

Man if she moved any more her hair extensions would have fallen off!
As far as her body, well its not hollywood quality. I do know many women who would like to have it. Myself, I wouldnt touch her after seeing the pic of her getting out of the car w/o underwear. eeehhhh!!!

#17 of 67 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted September 10 2007 - 02:26 PM

Quote:
Myself, I wouldnt touch her after seeing the pic of her getting out of the car w/o underwear. eeehhhh!!!

I'll give you that! Posted Image

#18 of 67 OFFLINE   Ken Chui

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted September 10 2007 - 05:00 PM

From Conan O'Brien:

Posted Image

The resemblance is uncanny. Posted Image

#19 of 67 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted September 10 2007 - 07:22 PM

I don't know. While yes, the "performance" was certainly bad, I didn't think she looked that out of shape. Also since most of this was shot with long lenses that compress perspective (the old "camera adds 10 lbs. yada, yada...) I didn't think she looked that bad. Sure, maybe the 6 pack abs are gone but how many women (or men for that matter) have EVER had 6 pack abs...?
What's funny is if this were Marilyn Monroe, she would look thin...

Posted Image

#20 of 67 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted September 10 2007 - 10:43 PM

Quote:
camera adds 10 lbs
How many cameras were on her?

The point is, since this was billed/hyped as her "comeback", people might expect her to return to her pre-childbearing figure, however unrealistic that might be. Sure, compared to the average person, she's fine, but that's a pretty low -- and fat -- bar. And unlike most, she has the time and resources to work out to get a suitably hard bod.

But since she didn't, that outfit didn't do her any favors. She could have worn something else and maybe avoided that aspect of the criticism.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow