What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Next... -- in HD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Lee Tamahori's Next is an interesting film, and although not reviewed with the highest of grades by critics, has found it's way to high definition via Paramount, and is a worthy candidate for home viewing.

Based upon the Phillip K. Dick tale, The Golden Man, it is one of those productions that for technical reasons has a special place on DVD.

The basic premise is the ability of Cris Johnson (Nicolas Cage) to see into his own future by a mere two seconds. Because of this he is tracked in a very Hitchcockian way -- think The 39 Steps or Young and Innocent -- concurrently by both criminals and the law, and must attempt to avoid both.

The premise works. The setup is good. Mr. Cage and co-star Julianne Moore work well together.

But it is the action sequences, beautifully staged and intricately performed and photographed with the two second concept in mind, that may well take center stage for the home video enthusiast, making re-plays a very interesting capability.

I must admit, that based solely upon reviews, I wasn't thrilled with the concept of viewing Next, but am pleased that I gave it the 96 minutes that it requires. With a very interesting turn at the end, I was fully expecting the film to go on for another reel or two, and would not have been against the extra time commitment. The running time goes by that quickly.

Paramount's Next comes Recommended as both entertainment as well as the high quality HD disc on which it has been delivered. Paramount has again delivered an HD experience that shines on a technical level both visually as well as aurally, especially when played via the Dolby TrueHD track.

As an aside, I normally attempt not to jump street dates with on-line comments, but in this case, I would like to give potential viewers the opportunity to lock in a pre-order for a release that I would hate to see overlooked with the myriad of titles about to hit the street in the coming weeks.

RAH

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Thanks Robert - I completely agree with your review!!!

I pre-ordered the HD DVD (cause I like Sci-Fi & the movie trailer looked cool) before we left for Australia. Two weeks later, on the way back, Quantas added "Next" into their library of 60 movies / shows, ... so I watched it and I'm glad that I pre-ordered it!!! :D

Exact thoughts I was thinking when I finished watching the movie on Quantas little 6.3" (?) screen & headphones, ... looking forward to receiving my HD DVD!!! :D

Phil

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Anyone else find it strange that a mega-bomb like Next gets a TrueHD audio track, yet ll indications are that the blockbuster Transformers doesn't?

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a nice little movie, although the final scene made me go - "Oh come ON!" The TrueHD should shine in a few of the scenes. Might grab this before the October titles start melting my credit card around the edges...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Thanks for the recommendation, Robert! I also liked NEXT, although its two-minute future-seeking seemed like a slight rehash of a brlliant sequence from Minority Report. All-the-same, the HD DVD is stellar, and it was hugely entertaining to my crowd when we watched it last week.

Cheers,
Steve

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry was the only one that thought this was a terrible movie and another trashing of Philip K Dicks stories? And who let Nic Cage have that stupid hair cut!!

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator

I agree, I watched the DVD version of this last night & it played like a series of scenes from different films strung together. It also featured some of the worst dialogue I've heard in quite some time. I can't believe it took three writers to come up with the non-script.

Cage looked embarassed to be in this and he co-produced it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks