Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Warner lets some of the Q4 releases out of the bag, including some surprises.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#61 of 80 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,668 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 07:28 AM

Yes, I agree, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Heat released on BD as well.

This whole announcement is fantastic. I will be able to order several highly wanted titles before the Amazon 10%-discount HD promotion ends. (Some people believe it will be prolonged another period, but even if it won't: it already earned me the money back spend on the HD-A1!).

Cees

#62 of 80 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-W
You do realize that it's taken HD-DVD over a year-and-a-half to sell just over 1.5 million TOTAL discs, right?
Lets see.

Blu-Ray - 6 million PS3's, 200 to 300k stand alone players = < 2 million disks sold.

HD DVD - 500 k stand alone players (including add-ons) = 1.5 million disks sold.

Guess you are right. The PS3 has been the knockout blow to HD DVD.

Tell me though, as that is less that one disk sale per 3 PS/3, do the PS/3 owners pass the disk around?Posted Image
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#63 of 80 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 19 2007 - 08:48 AM

OK, kids, let's try to avoid THAT topic in this thread!

Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#64 of 80 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 19 2007 - 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
I will be able to order several highly wanted titles before the Amazon 10%-discount HD promotion ends. (Some people believe it will be prolonged another period, but even if it won't: it already earned me the money back spend on the HD-A1!).

Cees

What Amazon 10% discount HD promotion? I vaguely recall something mentioned in the Weekly Roundups. Is that still going on?
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#65 of 80 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 09:52 AM

You had to have bought either a player of HD discs back in 2006 to be eligible.

#66 of 80 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,668 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 10:37 AM

Yes, every HD DVD or BD bought is discounted an extra 10%. Was extended until Dec 31th 2007. Some hope it will be extended again.

E.g.: I just received Heroes Season 1 on HD DVD. I payed $69.95 - $6.99. Shipping fee to Amsterdam: $4.73 ("standard"). So I pay $67.69 total, delivered to my door. Posted Image

Cees

#67 of 80 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,526 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
Yes, every HD DVD or BD bought is discounted an extra 10%. Was extended until Dec 31th 2007. Some hope it will be extended again.

I really hope they do. I've easily bought more titles than I normally would have due to the additional 10% discount.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#68 of 80 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 20 2007 - 05:11 AM

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. At any rate, I've already made the decision to be MUCH more selective in my media purchasing habits going forward than I have been throughout the SD-DVD era.

We'll see how that goes. . . Posted Image

#69 of 80 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
Do you realize it's taken over 0.0000000000001 of a year for me to be disappointed that Heat will be HD-DVD only?

I have this funny feeling that there's going to be another player on the shelf next to my PS3 by this time next year. . .

I have a funny feeling there's going to be another player on the shelf next to my Sony Blu-Ray player by this time next month.

("Heroes" beckons me).

#70 of 80 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,684 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 06:14 PM

Go for it David! Posted Image

#71 of 80 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 10:04 PM

I did it too, David.

Posted Image

#72 of 80 OFFLINE   MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted September 22 2007 - 02:35 AM

I'm sort of leaning towards adding a Blu Ray player to my shelf, but I've been spoiled on HD DVDs amazing player prices and deals.

But next time Blu Ray offers a similar deal on a player (not a PS3), I may have to go for it.
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#73 of 80 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,526 posts

Posted September 22 2007 - 07:59 AM

Format neutral is the only way to be! Posted Image

#74 of 80 OFFLINE   David Ruiz

David Ruiz

Second Unit

• 349 posts

Posted September 22 2007 - 10:31 AM

It's good news that Warner will be releasing Smallville (Season 1) on a High-Def format! I love that show so much! I seriously can't wait to get my hands on it. And The Goonies? Two great things coming from WB this year! Things are looking good!

#75 of 80 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted September 23 2007 - 01:59 AM

Warner has given us a lot this year but I wonder if there'll be a few more for December.

I'm still hoping for LA Confidential, Bonnie & Clyde, Cool Hand Luke, The Man Who Would Be King and the Dirty Harry set of which most were stated as coming this year in the HTF chat. Though it's starting to look like maybe next year for these.
Death before Streaming!

#76 of 80 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,684 posts

Posted September 23 2007 - 06:05 PM

during the warner chat this spring they confirmed a fall release for L. A. Confidential but so far no rease date. This is the 10th anniversary year too....come on Warner! Posted Image

#77 of 80 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 24 2007 - 05:52 AM

My new TV and HDMI cable finally showed up. . .and to be honest, the PS3 does such a good job of upconverting DVDs that I've (almost) lost interest in adding HD-DVD, or even upgrading DVDs that I already have to HD.

Almost. Posted Image

#78 of 80 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,526 posts

Posted September 24 2007 - 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover
during the warner chat this spring they confirmed a fall release for L. A. Confidential but so far no rease date. This is the 10th anniversary year too....come on Warner! Posted Image

Definitely not looking promising for a release this year. If we don't hear anything by mid to late October I have a feeling we're going to have to wait until next year. But Warner is good about making a long wait worth it.

#79 of 80 OFFLINE   Martin S

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted September 24 2007 - 11:41 PM

Am I right in thinking that THE EXORCIST has disappeared off the List of titles?
Really bummed if thats the case

#80 of 80 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 25 2007 - 04:36 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not as though Warner is gonna forget they own and can release The Exorcist in HD because it no longer appears on a list on a website.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow