Jump to content



Photo

'Far From The Madding Crowd' - are Warner supposed to be preparing this?


  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Join Date: May 16 2001

Posted September 07 2007 - 04:34 AM

I think FFTMC was asked about in one of the recent Warner chats, but it didn't get a clearcut response. Does anyone know whether they are preparing it for release in Region 1? (There is a Region 2 version but it's technically a disaster.) This is its 40th anniversary year, but they'd have to announce it pretty soon if it's to come out this year.
Bruce Morrison

#2 of 15 Simon Howson

Simon Howson

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 18 2004

Posted September 07 2007 - 05:38 AM

My recollection is that in the last Warner chat they said sometime this year, but as always their schedule is subject to change.

#3 of 15 PattyFraser

PattyFraser

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 28 2005

Posted September 07 2007 - 07:44 AM

I have been (im)patiently waiting for this release too, Bruce. I've only lately had the capability to check out region 2, so thanks for the warning. I'll wait a little longer on the Region 1.

#4 of 15 David_B_K

David_B_K

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 13 2006
  • Real Name:David

Posted September 07 2007 - 01:21 PM

Quote:
I'll wait a little longer on the Region 1.

Whatever you do, do not give in to the temptation to get the region 2 disc. I think it's the first time I actually pitched a DVD into the waste basket. Sadly, the laserdisc or even VHS versions are far better. A restored DVD is badly needed.

#5 of 15 Mark B

Mark B

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Join Date: Sep 27 2003
  • Real Name:Mark
  • LocationLake Placid, NY

Posted September 07 2007 - 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B_K
Whatever you do, do not give in to the temptation to get the region 2 disc. I think it's the first time I actually pitched a DVD into the waste basket. Sadly, the laserdisc or even VHS versions are far better. A restored DVD is badly needed.

The Region 2 must be horrific. I pulled out my widescreen laserdisc a few days ago, and that's pretty bad. We really need a quality transfer of this one.

#6 of 15 Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Join Date: May 16 2001

Posted September 07 2007 - 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B
The Region 2 must be horrific. I pulled out my widescreen laserdisc a few days ago, and that's pretty bad. We really need a quality transfer of this one.

'Horrific' is an understatement! Except for the opening credits, it's in a cropped 1.85 ratio instead of the correct 2.35 ratio. And the opening credits sequence looks so murky that you'd think it had been shot at dusk instead of in full daylight. Also the transfer has a mono soundtrack instead of the original stereo sound.

I didn't get past the opening credits - once the ratio changed to 1.85, I just gave up.
Bruce Morrison

#7 of 15 ted:r

ted:r

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 23 2005

Posted September 08 2007 - 09:10 AM

I asked the question (really, because someone else (Patty?) who could not attend the chat (early 2006) had asked that it would be asked and I have an affinity toward the movie.) I had asked about several movies, 2 of which ("Shoot The Moon" and "A Big Hand For The Little Lady") are about to be released. The other three were "Far From The Madding Crowd", "The Rain People" and "Rachel, Rachel" (If I recollect correctly). The reply was (again, if I recall correctly) most of those would be released by EOY 2007. (I wait (in rapt anticipation) for the one that I would presume be in the offing...)

I think it is safe to assume that WB will have another chat early 2008 and I would hope someone would ask for that again. The important point, it would seem to me, would be that people keep bringing it up.

BTW after I asked my 5, Ron, rather correctly. implored we keep our questions to 1 particular movie or topic (trying to avoid, I believe, the laundry lists that would probably occur.) As such, I have my cogent (a-hem!) question already (patience Ted, patience!) So I hope someone else will specifically ask the question next year!
"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

My 25 most wanted DVDs: Chilly Scenes Of Winter (1979); The Dead (1987); The African Queen (1951); Johnny Guitar (1954); The Sterile Cuckoo (1969); The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (1973); The Rain People (196...

#8 of 15 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Moderator

  • 23,101 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 08 2007 - 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted:r
I asked the question (really, because someone else (Patty?) who could not attend the chat (early 2006) had asked that it would be asked and I have an affinity toward the movie.) I had asked about several movies, 2 of which ("Shoot The Moon" and "A Big Hand For The Little Lady") are about to be released. The other three were "Far From The Madding Crowd", "The Rain People" and "Rachel, Rachel" (If I recollect correctly). The reply was (again, if I recall correctly) most of those would be released by EOY 2007. (I wait (in rapt anticipation) for the one that I would presume be in the offing...)

I think it is safe to assume that WB will have another chat early 2008 and I would hope someone would ask for that again. The important point, it would seem to me, would be that people keep bringing it up.

BTW after I asked my 5, Ron, rather correctly. implored we keep our questions to 1 particular movie or topic (trying to avoid, I believe, the laundry lists that would probably occur.) As such, I have my cogent (a-hem!) question already (patience Ted, patience!) So I hope someone else will specifically ask the question next year!
Ted,
In the following boxset, "Rachel, Rachel" is being released with "Shoot the Moon" on November 6th. The first time I watched "Far From the Madding Crowd", I instantly fell in love with Julie Christie. Without a doubt, I think Warner will release this fine film within the near future.


http://www.lasersedg....88867&tMedia=1

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

 


#9 of 15 PattyFraser

PattyFraser

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 28 2005

Posted September 08 2007 - 11:53 AM

As I keep saying, this would be a perfect February release, as it all hinges on a Valentine's Day card, carelessly sent.

After seeing the wonderful job done with "Ryan's Daughter", I'll wait till we get a release worthy of the film, and resist the region 2 urge. FFTMC has always been one of my favorites (I'm a Thomas Hardy fan) so I hope it comes out soon.

#10 of 15 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 6,546 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 18 2002

Posted September 08 2007 - 12:11 PM

put me down for this one as soon as it's announced.
I've never seen it, but always wanted too.
Thomas Hardy + Terrence Stamp + Julie Christie + Alan Bates...wow.

I'll be even happier if they kick it out on HD at the same time.


_________

Just looked it up- didn't realize Peter Finch was in it too. I mean, c'mon, how can you not want to see that?

#11 of 15 David_B_K

David_B_K

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 13 2006
  • Real Name:David

Posted September 08 2007 - 03:58 PM

Quote:
The Region 2 must be horrific. I pulled out my widescreen laserdisc a few days ago, and that's pretty bad. We really need a quality transfer of this one.


The laserdisc is pretty poor. There are parts of the film that look faded and discolored. Still, it is in the proper ratio, at least. I think it was one of my old Leonard Maltin "Movie/Video Guide" books from the '90s that referred to the film as "shamefully underrated". I expect it has not been released because of the fact that it badly needs some restoration. A release based on the laserdisc elements would be disappointing.

#12 of 15 ted:r

ted:r

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 23 2005

Posted September 08 2007 - 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Ted,
In the following boxset, "Rachel, Rachel" is being released with "Shoot the Moon" on November 6th. Crawdaddy

Well, this is confusing. The text says "Rachel, Rachel" (and "Used People")

Quote:
Synopsis
Includes I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955), Rachel, Rachel (1968), Rich and Famous (1981), Shoot the Moon (1982), Up The Down Staircase (1967) and Used People (1992).


while the Box says "A Big Hand For The Little Lady"

Posted Image

As did the press release

http://www.hometheat....d.php?t=260478
"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

My 25 most wanted DVDs: Chilly Scenes Of Winter (1979); The Dead (1987); The African Queen (1951); Johnny Guitar (1954); The Sterile Cuckoo (1969); The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (1973); The Rain People (196...

#13 of 15 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

    Moderator

  • 23,101 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 09 1998
  • Real Name:Robert
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 08 2007 - 11:42 PM

Looks like Lasersedge mixed up the wrong Woodward title.

http://www.amazon.co....9338304&sr=1-1

Crawdaddy

 

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

 


#14 of 15 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

    Advanced Member

  • 18,466 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 31 1997
  • Real Name:Cees Alons

Posted September 23 2007 - 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
The first time I watched "Far From the Madding Crowd", I instantly fell in love with Julie Christie.
Then, like me, you're probably waiting for The Go-Between as well.


Cees

#15 of 15 Jim Bur

Jim Bur

    Advanced Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 01 2006

Posted September 23 2007 - 07:56 PM

Far From the Madding Crowd is easily one of the top five films in the Warners Library which still hasn't been released on DVD. DVD was made for these kind of lush epic wide screen films. A release seems long overdue, hopefully the only reason is because they have restored it with care. I join the rest of you in eagerly looking forward to a release this year or early next year.


Back to DVD


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


Forum Nav Content I Follow