Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

TCFHE Press Release: Live Free or Die Hard (DVD/Blu-Ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,247 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 05:28 AM

“TWO THUMBS UP!” –EBERT & ROEPER

Bruce Willis Stars As The Real Action Hero John McClane In

Live Free or Die Hard

The Fourth Film In The Franchise That Defined The Modern Action Genre Explodes Onto DVD And Blu-Ray Disc
November 20th From Fox Home Entertainment

Special Unrated Two-Disc Edition Features New Footage
Never Seen In Theaters, Gag Reel, Star Commentary and More

CENTURY CITY, Calif. –He’s still an easy man to like and still a hard man to kill - the action never lets up when John McClane finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time once again in Live Free or Die Hard, the fourth installment in Fox’s rockin’ and celebrated Billion Dollar plus global franchise. This non-stop action adventure with a smirk explodes onto DVD and Blu-Ray Disc (BD) on November 20th from Fox Home Entertainment and stars Golden Globe® and Emmy® Award-winner Bruce Willis is a character that launched his film career - as wise-cracking super-cop Detective John McClane. Director Len Wiseman (Underworld) takes the series into the new millennium with a seamless composite of explosive scenes, jaw-dropping stunt work, groundbreaking special effects and the ever popular clever quips. Live Free or Die Hard also stars Justin Long (Dodgeball, Accepted), Timothy Olyphant (“Deadwood,” The Girl Next Door), Cliff Curtis (Training Day), Maggie Q (Mission: Impossible III) and Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Death Proof, Final Destination 3).

Live Free or Die Hard will be available in three DVD configurations – a single-disc full screen rated version and single-disc widescreen unrated edition, both highlighted by audio commentary with Bruce Willis and director Len Wiseman, music video by super fans Guyz Nite as well as a special Live Free or Die Hard Unrated Two-Disc Edition, highlighted by never-before-seen footage not seen in the theatrical version and a second disc locked and loaded with exclusive elements such as “Conversation with Bruce Willis and Kevin Smith,” a feature-length Making-Of documentary and more. The Live Free or Die Hard single-disc DVD will be available for the suggested retail price of $29.98 U.S. / $43.48 Canada and the Unrated Two-Disc Edition for $34.98 U.S. / $45.98 Canada. Plus, the Live Free or Die Hard Blu-Ray Disc (BD) will debut day-and-date priced at $39.98 U.S. / $49.98 Canada.

Marketing Support:
TCFHE will blow out the release of Live Free or Die Hard with a multi-million dollar comprehensive marketing campaign targeting adults 13-54, along with original and new John McClane fans from pre-street awareness through Q4 holiday season. The planned media spend will be seen everywhere via national television, print, radio and online outlets. In addition, TCFHE will blast an aggressive publicity campaign targeting men, women, teens via print and broadcast editorial placements and news generating events.

DVD Specs:
Live Free or Die Hard – Single-Disc Full Screen Edition:
· 5.1 Dolby Digital
· Spanish, French Dolby Surround Audio
· English, Spanish and French Subtitles.
· Commentary by Bruce Willis, Director Len Wiseman and Editor Nicolas De Toth
· Music Video - “Die Hard” by Guyz Nite
· Behind-the-Scenes with Guyz Nite

Live Free or Die Hard Unrated and Rated (widescreen only) Two-Disc Edition:
· Commentary by Bruce Willis, Director Len Wiseman and Editor Nicolas De Toth
· Music Video - “Die Hard” by Guyz Nite
· Behind-the-Scenes with Guyz Nite
· Analog Hero in a Digital World: Making of Live Free or Die Hard documentary

o “Prelude”
o “Attack of the Franchise”
o “Casting and Characters”
o “Texture and Tone”
o “Unimaginable Feats”
o “The Cutting Room”
o “Eye Candy”
o “The World of D.I.”
o “Sound and Fury”
o “Symphonic Boom”

· Yippee-Ki-Yay Mother F*****! - One-on-One Conversation with Bruce Willis & Kevin Smith (23 minutes)
· Fox Movie Channel Presents Fox Legacy
· Theatrical trailer
· 5.1 Dolby Digital
· Spanish, French Dolby Surround Audio
· English, Spanish and French Subtitles.

Blu-Ray Exclusive
The Live Free or Die Hard BD release includes the PG-13 rated theatrical version of the film and all of the above standard definition special features plus D-Box motion sensor capabilities, several high-definition trailers and the exclusive high definition BD-Java multi-level strategy game “Black Hat Intercept!”. The disc will be authored in BD-J with AVC (MPEG 4) compression and presented on 50 GB dual-layer disc with English 5.1 DTS HD Lossless Master Audio plus English, French and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital Sound.

Synopsis:
“The best of the best is back and better than ever” (WNYW-TV) in the latest installment of the pulse-pounding, thrill-a-minute Die Hard action films. New York City detective John McClane (Bruce Willis) delivers old-school justice to a new breed of terrorists when a massive computer attack on the U.S. infrastructure threatens to shut down the entire country over Independence Day weekend. Locked and loaded with real stunts, genuine humor and nonstop excitement, Live Free or Die Hard is “a slick piece of action entertainment” (Los Angeles Times). Yippee-ki-yay!

A recognized global industry leader, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC (TCFHE) is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming on VHS, DVD and Blu-ray Disc (BD) as well as acquisitions and original productions. The company also releases all products around the globe for MGM Home Entertainment. Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce throughout the world. Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC is a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, a News Corporation company.

# # #
Press materials available for download at www.foxpressroom.com

LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD
Street Date: November 20, 2007
Order Due Date: October 24, 2007
Pricing: $29.98 U.S. / $43.48 Canada (WS / FS single-disc)
$34.98 U.S. / $45.98 Canada (Unrated Two-Disc Edition)
$39.98 U.S. / $49.98 Canada (BD)
Catalog Numbers: 2247616 (Unrated WS Edition)
2247607 (Single-Disc FS Edition)
2247625 (Unrated Two-Disc Edition)
2247636 (BD)
Total Run Time: 130 minutes
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (FS Edition)
N/A (Unrated WS / Two-Disc Edition)
Screen Format: 2.35:1 Widescreen (WS / Unrated Two-Disc Edition)
1.31:1 Full Screen (FS Edition)
Closed Captioned: Yes

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,220 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 07:14 AM

So the BD will only have the PG-13 and not the Unrated version?

That can't be right
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   JulianK

JulianK

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 07:14 AM

The Blu-ray edition will feature the PG13 version??! Only the PG13 edition??

Tell me I'm mistaken, please!

Edit - he he, beat me to it by seconds, WillG!

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,017 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 07:22 AM

I noticed that too on the press release.. however on the foxbluray site it says on the cover that its the unrated version. probably use seamless branching.

Jacob

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   captainjoe

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 08:56 AM

I hope it has the unrate cut because if not then I'll just get the DVD and wait for Fox to double-dip on BD

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted September 05 2007 - 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat
I noticed that too on the press release.. however on the foxbluray site it says on the cover that its the unrated version. probably use seamless branching.

Jacob

Elsewhere it has been noted that Fox say the artwork is incorrect and will be changed. Looking like the PG-13 version for blu-ray. What are they thinking?

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,220 posts

Posted September 05 2007 - 05:02 AM

Quote:
What are they thinking?

The only thing I can think of is that it's a ploy by the studio to get you to buy on BD and DVD.

I wanted to get this on BD, but if it does not include the unrated version then no sale. Why should I pay for this if it does not have the unrated version that is available on DVD (Nobody wanted a PG-13 rated Die Hard film anyway)
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,535 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 05 2007 - 05:13 AM

What's the difference between the rated and unrated versions? Are they both 130 minutes? I'd like to know before I get all worked up over it.

How often does an "unrated" DVD edition truly have something worth seeing that was cut from the theatrical version of the film?
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted September 05 2007 - 06:37 AM

I've heard that the unrated version just has some CGI blood added in some shots; maybe a certain phrase is heard more clearly.

I'll probably pick up the BD version; this doesn't seem to be a case where the movie had to be cut down for theatrical release (at least, I don't remember hearing about that), so it's more or less a "natural" PG-13. I'm okay with that.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,287 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 05 2007 - 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Seaver
I've heard that the unrated version just has some CGI blood added in some shots; maybe a certain phrase is heard more clearly.
There were lines in several places during the movie that were clearly overdubbed with less offensive language, since the mouths didn't match the vocals. The PG-13 cut is a solid film, but it clearly felt tampered with.

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Harpozep

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted September 05 2007 - 03:26 PM

Well, The BR release should have the unrated as an option or simply be THE release in HD. SInce Fox is putting out the unrated version in DVD only, ya gotta wonder who they are marketing the BR to??

More info on it here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/

I mean early adopters want it all and are willing to pay for it, aren't we? Fox messed up on this one. No sale to me and I'm sure many others. PLUS I will not buy the standard DVD release since I only want HD.

Kinda like with the Fantastic Four on BR. A longer better version exists and it is only in standard DVD.

Any address we can write to at Fox to tell them of our disappointment?

Stupid marketing decision here. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.............
Best,
Robert

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,766 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 06 2007 - 01:30 AM

Had a great time at this film. Very much looking forward to its arrival on DVD.

But what about the pricing? The MSRPs seem pretty high:

Quote:
Pricing: $29.98 U.S. / $43.48 Canada (WS / FS single-disc)
$34.98 U.S. / $45.98 Canada (Unrated Two-Disc Edition)
$39.98 U.S. / $49.98 Canada (BD)

Do you suppose those will translate to the "expected" regular prices of $19.99 (in the US) for the 1-discer and $24.99 for the 2-disc SE? Cuz' they seem high for that.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,836 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 06 2007 - 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpozep
Well, The BR release should have the unrated as an option or simply be THE release in HD. SInce Fox is putting out the unrated version in DVD only, ya gotta wonder who they are marketing the BR to??

More info on it here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/

I mean early adopters want it all and are willing to pay for it, aren't we? Fox messed up on this one. No sale to me and I'm sure many others. PLUS I will not buy the standard DVD release since I only want HD.

Kinda like with the Fantastic Four on BR. A longer better version exists and it is only in standard DVD.

Any address we can write to at Fox to tell them of our disappointment?

Stupid marketing decision here. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.............
It doesn't take much to realize that Fox thinks early adoptors will buy anything at their price point. Fox won't release the longer version on BR because they think those that bought the theatrical version on BR will double-dip and buy it again.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted September 06 2007 - 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Live Free or Die Hard Unrated and Rated (widescreen only) Two-Disc Edition:
Hrm... Am I reading this correctly? The 2 disc edition will have both the unrated version and the PG-13 one? Because that seems to contradict what I've read elsewhere.

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,836 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 06 2007 - 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arild
Hrm... Am I reading this correctly? The 2 disc edition will have both the unrated version and the PG-13 one? Because that seems to contradict what I've read elsewhere.
The 2 disc SD DVD will have both versions while the BRD release has only the PG-13 version.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Harpozep

Harpozep

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted September 07 2007 - 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
It doesn't take much to realize that Fox thinks early adopters will buy anything at their price point. Fox won't release the longer version on BR because they think those that bought the theatrical version on BR will double-dip and buy it again.

Maybe, but you would think in the case of the Fantastic Four, perhaps the longer cut would be available in BR when the second FF movie comes out in BR. But I see no activity on that front. So no chance to double dip there. I wonder if the longer cut will ever be available in HD?
Best,
Robert

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow