What's new

Galactica 1980 on DVD, maybe soon? (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I just read on TVShowsonDVD.com that Galactica 1980 could be on DVD before the end of the year. I dont know about you guys, but even though the show 90% sucked, i have to own it for The Return of Starbuck!
Thanks Dave and Gord, and if you could ask Universal, if at all possible id love to see the original Galactica on single sided discs one day!

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
It's already on Netflix Watch Now... when I saw that recently I wondered if this meant it would be coming to DVD soon.

(then again, Jeremiah S2 is also on NF Watch Now but that hasn't been released, either)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Since it's only 10 episodes, let's hope they put some decent extras on here, like they did for the first set, including deleted scenes, bloopers and perhaps a documentary on the evolution of the sequel, with interviews, hopefully shedding some light on what went wrong and why, cast changes, etc.. A commentary with McCord, Douglass and Van Dyke and/or Larson on the pilot would also be most welcome.

It'd be nice if there were a deleted-scenes package on the never-completed episode 11: The Day They Kidnapped Cleopatra. Filming was underway on this episode when cancellation notice came down from the network.

Perhaps even a documentary on the Univeral Studios Galactica ride...

Though, really, I'll be very surprised if it's anything other than just the episodes.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Hell, I'll buy it - and not just for the Starbuck episode, either. That Halloween one with Wolfman Jack was not half bad (if my 12 year old's memories are to be believed, that is)

I'd love to see a documentary on the cancelation of the parent show and a frank look at the limitations put on the new one (I recall all kind of Standards and Practices interference).

paul_austin

Second Unit
omg someone just yanked the scab off an old wound, I doubt there will be any extras, as stated the Starbuck episode is so good it deserves its own title sequene, just to distance it from Galactica 1980...it would be interesting to hear something about the aborted episode. I was a big fan of BG at the time, and struggled through this when it originally aired, wishing they'd just not done it. And I was 15 then so i cant imagine it getting any better over time, but the Starbuck episode....top notch

FrancisP

Screenwriter
For me the only thing that would matter is price. The Return of Starbuck was an excellent episode. The halloween episode was mildly amusing. Other than that it was a major fiasco. They can take the rest of them and burn them.

It would be interesting to see how the show was put together. Given Gord's post that some characters were considered too minor to return, and others decided not to, it would be interesting. Also, I heard, another reason for its return was that Galactica did far better than its replacements in the ratings. The trouble is that most documentaries gloss over any warts. For example, the documentaries on the making of Star Trek:TMP glossed over all the behind the scenes strife.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Gah...the show that gives breast cancer to passing Chihuahuas.

Many other folks have already mentioned this, but the Starbuck episode is the only worthwhile one, and should've been included as a "bonus episode" in the Giant Chrome Cylon Head™ box, along with a retrospective depicting Glen Larson apologizing for not quitting the series when ABC decided to bastardize it.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
I'll get it. I was hoping Universal would toss this in with the original series just to get it out there, but I'm glad it's coming. All two double-sided discs of it, barely remastered, with a commentary by Glen Larsen that starts with 'well, I shouldn't have done this. Now let's pretend we're watching BJ and the Bear...'

paul_austin

Second Unit

yes they did, the strife stuff was edited out, it was covered but Paramount being Paramount they wanted it edited out.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
It would be nice to have a commentary track or docu about all the things that went wrong behind the scenes, (essentially everything!) but I doubt they would spring for it.
What they could throw in is the Galactica telemovie that uses most of the Starbuck episode. (He makes it back to the fleet.) The "Conquest of the Earth" theatrical film, which combines several G'80 episodes and has Baltar still chasing the ragtag fleet is an entertaining little trainwreck they could include too. ;)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Agreed. G'80s finest hour.

Also, let's hope they don't monkey around and mistakenly give us the syndication version, which has all the episodes (except pilot) re-titled as Battlestar Galactica.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

BJ and the Bear was Masterpiece Theater compared to Galactica 1980. At least we may soon be fated to see digitally remastered super scouts and Robert Reed's afro in all their glory. Maybe on DVD we will at last see the things that were hiding in Lorne Greene's fake beard.

*Bonus points for Brady fans as they also get to see Robbie Rist in one of his final on-screen appearances before his acting career died.

**This show is probably the reason that Kent McCord went and did Airplane II a couple years later. He didn't want Galactica 1980 to be the last thing on his resume. Ironic that the Airplane II producers found a way to give him a nice Galactica 1980 flashback by using the music as the movie's main opening theme.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I'll be glad if this turns out to be true. The show may have been a huge disappointment but the Starbuck episode was great and some of the others were enjoyable. I liked the 3 part opener and the time travel episode. Hopefully there will be some deleted scenes and/or interviews, if not, the episodes will be good enough.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I saw the Starbuck episode a year or so ago on a SciFi marathon, and I did not think it was very good. Better than the rest of G:80, sure, but not good, and not even up to the standards of the original show. That said, and I hate to admit this, but I want this series on DVD.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I (think I) loved that as a kid. And quite liked it when Sci-Fi Channel showed it and I taped every episode. It would be a great excuse to finally pick up the original series (also taped off SciFi) at the same time as G80.

BJ & the Bear and Sheriff Lobo!! Now, please.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'll get this, but I'm not all that excited about it. This show was a MAJOR disappointment to me. When this aired I was totally excited that Galactica was back. I watched the 3-part opener and then the Super Scouts episode. At that point I decided that it sucked and never saw another episode until it aired on Sci-Fi. I know that this is going to be painful to watch all the way through.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Aw, come on. The show wasn't that bad. I think it's just become worse in peoples' memories because it doesn't compare well with the original (which wasn't very good in itself). I think G80 was so disappointing because the fans wanted the original cast to land on Earth; now that would have been a better series. It would have been Starbuck and Apollo whizzing around Los Angeles in those star cycle thingies, bringing their war to Earth. I think McCord and VanDyke had no chemistry whatsoever, didn't know what the hell they were supposed to be doing, and just sort of blundered thru it all. The original cast could have held it together very nicely. And yeah--Robbie Rist was yet another casting blunder (although they did correct it, by firing his oddball little ass). I recall as a child, that whenever I'd see Robbie Rist on tv I'd say, 'oh god--not HIM again.' Likely, a lot of kids tuned in to the pilot, saw him and never watched again!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Me and my friends in school always talked about the show. The flying cycles and etc. I can't remember if we liked it or not. I think I did. TV was full of show just like that. Greatest American Hero, ........ ,............, ........... You fill in the rest. :D

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
The interesting thing about those flying motorbikes is they were built for a BSG episode that never got filmed for some reason. I don't think G'80 would have ever had the budget to build them!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks