Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ebay Feedback question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   CaseyLS

CaseyLS

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted September 03 2007 - 01:20 PM

I just opened an Ebay account and tried to purchase some bike parts. To make a long story short I contacted the seller many times about payment and he never got back to me. Last week he reported me as a non-payer so I contacted Ebay told them about the calls and emails and told he never got back to me but I was still willing to pay. Well tonight I left negative feedback for him because I decided I was done with transaction since he wasn't making any effort to make it go forward. I got hit with a nonpayment strike and I appealled that. Ebay quickly got back to me and said they had removed the strike.

I was told if I didn't pay I wouldn't be able to leave feedback. Does the same apply to him, since I won the appeal?

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 01:58 PM

Yet another justification for why I no longer shop EBAY.... Try Amazon - they are MUCH more customer friendly - and not one vendor there will try to scam you or sell your email address to Nigerian scammers...

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 03:11 PM

Yeah, I'm preparing to give up on Ebay. We've run a store there for years.. but they keep raising their fees. Recently, harrassment and blackmail of sellers is so rampant that it's hard to justify hanging around. I can't tell you how often people decide that "threats" of negative feedback should get them freebies (Give me a 22" LCD or.." and so on)

It's BS. Ebay's feedback system is good, but because it can be wielded without any supervision, it's also the subject to threats, false accusations, and plain dishonesty. I admit, we're "100% positive" with no negs or neutrals,, but every month I'm a little surprised that we either placate the threats or just slow down sales to avoid it. Besides the raise in fees, it's just too much freaking hastle anymore.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#4 of 5 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,305 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 04 2007 - 04:23 PM

It's the honor system. I always give positive feedback when a transaction goes smoothly, and always give negative feedback (no matter how many bribes the seller offers me) to problematic transactions. A few years back I bought a textbook from either eBay or Amazon. The seller listed an address inside the United States, had the lowest price, so I ordered it. The order took a week to process then shipped from Hong Kong. It was approx. two months before the book arrived, over halfway through the course. The seller offered to refund what I paid on the book if I withdrew my negative feedback. $50 is a lot to a poor college student, but I didn't want other customers to be scammed, so I turned it down.

It sucks when dishonest people screw over the honest buyers and sellers.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,887 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted September 05 2007 - 12:01 AM

It's gotten odd. I bought a PC game there described as "Factory sealed". I got the game, the plastic case was cracked badly and the game discs had scratches and fingerprints. I'm pretty good at writing letters of complaint, and simply wanted a new game or refund. I mentioned I'd have to give negative feedback if nothing was done. The seller told me to keep the game in exchange for positive feedback from me. Way more than I'd asked for. I spent the refund on some used DVDs from the seller that turned out to be fine. That seller closed their account shortly after this. Even odder!
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel