Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Zodiac on HD-DVD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 King Jeff

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted September 02 2007 - 03:47 PM

Anyone know when they're releasing this? I know it was delayed, but for how long? I just saw this movie recently and now I MUST have this on HD.
"Because she's got a.....GREAT ASS! And you've got your head all the way up it!"

#2 of 17 Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted September 03 2007 - 05:44 AM

It was delayed until the SE comes out which is to be releaed on HD and BR at that time.

#3 of 17 Jon Moss

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted September 03 2007 - 06:13 AM

We could be waiting until 2008 for the special editon HD-DVD & Blu-ray, according to this article..

http://www.contentag....620011762.html

I'm not too bothered about the wait. It was a fantastic film, but I'd rather have a special edition that's put together properly, than a rushed movie only release.

#4 of 17 Steve Blair

Steve Blair

Second Unit

• 380 posts

Posted September 03 2007 - 06:19 AM

No BluRay version as this is from Paramount. It's an Hd Dvd exclusive...

#5 of 17 King Jeff

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted September 03 2007 - 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Moss
We could be waiting until 2008 for the special editon HD-DVD & Blu-ray, according to this article..

http://www.contentag....620011762.html

I'm not too bothered about the wait. It was a fantastic film, but I'd rather have a special edition that's put together properly, than a rushed movie only release.

Awesome, I don't think I'll mind the wait if it's a Director's Cut HD-DVD coming.
"Because she's got a.....GREAT ASS! And you've got your head all the way up it!"

#6 of 17 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 03 2007 - 09:11 AM

I haven't seen anything saying that the HD release would be the director's cut.

#7 of 17 Jon Moss

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted September 03 2007 - 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
I haven't seen anything saying that the HD release would be the director's cut.

The following is from Wikipedia, so take it with the relevant caution. However I find it hard to believe Paramount would release anything other than the Director's Cut on HD-DVD when it finally hits.

According to the David Prior, producer of the upcoming special edition, the bare bones edition "was only reluctantly agreed to by Fincher because I needed more time on the bonus material. The studio was locked into their release date (and bound and determined to release a single-disc, which nobody except them wanted), so Fincher allowed that to be released first. It had nothing to do with Fincher 'double dipping his own movie before it even makes it to stores' and everything to do with buying more time for the special edition." He stated that the theatrical cut will only be available on the single disc edition.

Prior elaborated further: "Nobody wants fans feeling like they're being taken advantage of, and I know that double-dipping creates that impression. That's why it was so important to me that consumers be told there was another version coming. In this case it really was a rock-and-a-hard place situation, and delaying the second release was done strictly for the benefit of the final product...But this is a very ambitious project, easily the most far-reaching I've ever worked on, and owing largely to studio snafus that I can't really elaborate on, I didn't have enough time to do it properly. Thus Fincher bought me the extra time by agreeing to a staggered release, which I'm very grateful for."

#8 of 17 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 03 2007 - 12:28 PM

Yeah, it's entirely possible that the HD release was scrapped just so they could wait until the SE is finished. Although the completist in me would like to own the theatrical cut in HD too. Posted Image

As a backup to your Wikipedia info, David Prior said something similar over in the thread in a Zodiac thread in the SD section too. If the content mentioned in the commercial for the SE is half as good as it seems, it's going to be a great set.

#9 of 17 JulianK

JulianK

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted September 03 2007 - 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Blair
No BluRay version as this is from Paramount. It's an Hd Dvd exclusive...

It'll be released on Blu-ray in Europe, because it's distributed by Warner Home Video there. If it's not region coded, you'll be able to import it from the UK.

#10 of 17 dailW

dailW

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted September 03 2007 - 06:03 PM

my favorite film of the year. whats with all these longer cuts.
highlander 2 i understand
aliens i understand
zodiac is perfect the way it is and i belive thats finchers final cut
the way he wanted it.

#11 of 17 JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 01:25 AM

Actually Fincher did have final cut but the studio asked him to trim it down. He decided to compromise because he knew the scenes would be eventually make the DVD.He stated the cuts he had to make were painful and it was very difficult to decide what scenes he would slice to bring down the running time.

Look for 28 minutes added to the Dir Cut DVD. Finchers preferred cut is I beleive 3 hours and 8 minutes.

#12 of 17 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonZ
Actually Fincher did have final cut but the studio asked him to trim it down. He decided to compromise because he knew the scenes would be eventually make the DVD.He stated the cuts he had to make were painful and it was very difficult to decide what scenes he would slice to bring down the running time.

Look for 28 minutes added to the Dir Cut DVD. Finchers preferred cut is I beleive 3 hours and 8 minutes.

188 minutes! Holy moley! As its likely that only this cut will be on HD DVD, I hope it doesn't turn out flabby....

#13 of 17 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 02:18 AM

I thought this movie was absolutely brilliant and I can't wait to get my hands on a full-fledged SE HD DVD. But yes, I do have to wait until sometime in 2008.

#14 of 17 TwoKings

TwoKings

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 03:51 PM

oh this pisses me off.

I have held off on the DVD because i was waiting for the BD version and now i can't get it, Posted Image

#15 of 17 dailW

dailW

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoKings
oh this pisses me off.

I have held off on the DVD because i was waiting for the BD version and now i can't get it, Posted Image

maybe paramount will change their ways by then.

#16 of 17 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted September 18 2007 - 03:37 AM

http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=909932

Good news!! 1/8/08 - DC of Zodiac hits HD DVD!

#17 of 17 King Jeff

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 04:59 PM

....so awesome....

Back to Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow