What's new

Zodiac on HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Beber
Anyone know when they're releasing this? I know it was delayed, but for how long? I just saw this movie recently and now I MUST have this on HD.

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Beber

Awesome, I don't think I'll mind the wait if it's a Director's Cut HD-DVD coming.

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator

The following is from Wikipedia, so take it with the relevant caution. However I find it hard to believe Paramount would release anything other than the Director's Cut on HD-DVD when it finally hits.

According to the David Prior, producer of the upcoming special edition, the bare bones edition "was only reluctantly agreed to by Fincher because I needed more time on the bonus material. The studio was locked into their release date (and bound and determined to release a single-disc, which nobody except them wanted), so Fincher allowed that to be released first. It had nothing to do with Fincher 'double dipping his own movie before it even makes it to stores' and everything to do with buying more time for the special edition." He stated that the theatrical cut will only be available on the single disc edition.

Prior elaborated further: "Nobody wants fans feeling like they're being taken advantage of, and I know that double-dipping creates that impression. That's why it was so important to me that consumers be told there was another version coming. In this case it really was a rock-and-a-hard place situation, and delaying the second release was done strictly for the benefit of the final product...But this is a very ambitious project, easily the most far-reaching I've ever worked on, and owing largely to studio snafus that I can't really elaborate on, I didn't have enough time to do it properly. Thus Fincher bought me the extra time by agreeing to a staggered release, which I'm very grateful for."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it's entirely possible that the HD release was scrapped just so they could wait until the SE is finished. Although the completist in me would like to own the theatrical cut in HD too. :)

As a backup to your Wikipedia info, David Prior said something similar over in the thread in a Zodiac thread in the SD section too. If the content mentioned in the commercial for the SE is half as good as it seems, it's going to be a great set.

JulianK

Supporting Actor

It'll be released on Blu-ray in Europe, because it's distributed by Warner Home Video there. If it's not region coded, you'll be able to import it from the UK.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
my favorite film of the year. whats with all these longer cuts.
highlander 2 i understand
aliens i understand
zodiac is perfect the way it is and i belive thats finchers final cut
the way he wanted it.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Actually Fincher did have final cut but the studio asked him to trim it down. He decided to compromise because he knew the scenes would be eventually make the DVD.He stated the cuts he had to make were painful and it was very difficult to decide what scenes he would slice to bring down the running time.

Look for 28 minutes added to the Dir Cut DVD. Finchers preferred cut is I beleive 3 hours and 8 minutes.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

188 minutes! Holy moley! As its likely that only this cut will be on HD DVD, I hope it doesn't turn out flabby....

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I thought this movie was absolutely brilliant and I can't wait to get my hands on a full-fledged SE HD DVD. But yes, I do have to wait until sometime in 2008.

TwoKings

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
oh this pisses me off.

I have held off on the DVD because i was waiting for the BD version and now i can't get it, :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks