What's new

So what makes SVS so great? (1 Viewer)

mikieson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I for one will never be able to spend that kind of money on a sub. What truly makes these monster subs so great and worth nearly 2k?

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
Actually, most are well less than 1k and compared to most comparatively prices speakers, the do perform better.

Exactly what specific model are you talking about?

mikieson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Dont know really...There are the more expensive ones that are like 1300 and up. I guess my concern is...I have 2 DCM subs. Each box has an active and a passive sub. Each box has a "i think" 150wt amp.....They were maybe 400 or so back around 1994-95.

They sound ok, but seem to stress under loud "base" use. I want something that wont stress, but will keep up with the volume. I like brain shaking bass and I want a speaker that is gonna do it without worries of blowing it.

SVS has like 3 levels of subs from what I see....What would I have to spend to blow these DCM's away and make my day??

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon

There was a day that I thought the same way as you. But then I broke down and did it. Now I'm asking myself why I waited as long as I did. Movies have not been the same since.
If I was to try and recommend you a SvS sub I would think you would be looking in the NDS series subs. I would tell you to get the PB12-NSD/2 but I would say call SvS and talk to Eric and let him tell you what would work the best in the budget that you have!.
Just to let you know that I replace my very first sub "a Velodyne CHT12" with 2 klipsch RW-12d that I got a Heck of a deal on "$599 each", I had them for a few days and then SvS had a overstock sale going on the PB12+2. That was good for me because even though the Klipsch had GREAT Spl numbers the port noise was unbearable.
So before I took them back I wanted to see what everyone seen in SvS and I ordered one up. About 7-10 days later "After fighting with the shipping Co. to deliver it to me" It arrived and It was a monster. I'm mean it came on it own frigging Pallet for Christ sakes. My wife "all 110lbs of her" had to help me get this 140lbs thing in the house.
Ok, After about 5 Min's of trying to get it in the house I started unpacking.As soon as I got the box open I seen this white cotton bag. So I take the Styrofoam packing and the bag off and here is this Beautiful Piano Black Lacquer Finnish, I had to stand there and take in that wonderful sight. Next I get in unpacked and hooked it up and from the first test tone I heard those Klipsch was back in there box and in the Tahoe to be returned.
I played with it for a week or so and then I got a great deal on a Velodyne SMS-1 and once I got that thing it was a match made in heaven!
So now did this little run down of my experience with SvS sway you to go in debt to get one? I'd say probably not but I hope that one day you say to yourself "WTF" and take the plunge. I know that if you do you will ask yourself the same question that I asked myself "Why did I wait this long?". So good luck to you sir and I hope that this little story helps you on your quest for bass.

Shannon

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
Check out the Hsu subs too. I've got a VTF-2 Mk3 and it makes my house rumble. Especially with B-stock, you can pick up some great bargains. One of the STF line also might just be what you need.

www.hsuresearch.com

mikieson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Shannon....Great story..lol....I am a sucker for subs...I just love getting the breath knocked out of me...;)

Right now im BROKE...very broke..Im sure a lot of you here are rich and able to do things I never will..But one day..."maybe" I will be able to sell a kidney or something and get one...hehe

And thanks for the other people who replied....I guess I could always sell my old DCM subs and help my funds. ..Not that they are worth much as they are getting old.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
Speakers do tend to hold their value a lot longer than electronics.

If you do waht to pick up a new sub, what can you afford and what size room will you be using it in?

Do it yourself is an option too. Parts Express has several kits that are pretty good prices for what you get.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The main advantage that SVS has is their actual sub driver. Earlier models were sourced from Destijl Engineering and TC Sounds. Now that they have brought their driver design in house, it has contined to improve. These drivers use a lot of copper in the motor structures to reduce distortion and inducance while still having huge amounts of excursion. Then they pay attention to Hoffman's Iron Law when designing the enclosures.

You want SVS quality but don't have the money? Easy. Buy a quality driver and amp from dozens of manufacturers and build the enclosure yourself. My next sub will look like the JL Audio Gotham but have more performance from much less than the $11,000 MSRP of the Gotham. Add in a couple of 15" TC-3000's and a 2,000w pro amp to get me started. Long term goals are to upgrade to a 3,200w Crown amp with built in DSP. With the Crown amp, drivers and materials for the cabinets, I will have about $1,750 in this sub. That's just an extreme example. There are hundreds of options that can come close to the SVS for only a couple of hundred dollars.

-Robert

Shannon W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shannon
Mikison,
Thats cool an the story was on me. I'm far from being rich but I sure know allot about being broke. You have the right Idea "I guess I could always sell my old DCM subs and help my funds". Thats what allot of us guys have to do to upgrade. Rob petter to Pay paul. LoL. So good luck man. Also if the kidney thing don't work out to well you can always start out selling Plasma @ $75 a whack and you can do it twice a month. thats $150 a month which works out to be $1800 a year.

mikieson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Does anyone know if they have in house financing? I might go that route if its not too bad......

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I don't think they do. AV123 has in-house financing, but their current subwoofer offerings aren't what you're looking for; they're suited better for music, not movies. They have a subwoofer coming out called the MFW-15 (shipping begins Q4 2007 or later), and it will cost $599. They offer 90 days no cost financing for purchases over $500.

SVS subwoofers, from all I've read about them, seem to be indestructible as long as you don't hit them repeatedly with a sledgehammer ;). They have been designed not to break because a limiter is installed. I think you would be happy with their least expensive offering, the PB10-NSD for $429+shipping. Hsu Research has great subs too, and their least expensive offering is the STF-1 for $299+shipping.

mikieson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I wish someone here lived within an hour of me and offered to let me hear a SVS. I live in Henry Co. Tennessee, by the lake.....I have heard car systems that will blow your insides out....The way you guys talk this one speaker has that effect.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Ask on AVS Forum to see if anyone lives near you with a SVS, Hsu Research or Elemental Designs sub. Give it a shot here, too.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not at all. If you are used to listening to "car bass" then you will be underwhelmed by the quality bass from a properly integrated SVS (or Hsu or any other quality sub) because it does not stand out. The "chest thump" is an unnatural hump in the response around 50 to 60 hz. I used an EQ to remove that from my room response. You really won't know that I have a sub until it is call upon like on War of the Worlds or Lord of the Rings. Then the 2,000w plus amp will come to life for a split second and the two 15" subs will shake the entire concrete foundation of my house. Then it is back silent until needed again.

-Robert

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I just bought the cheapest ($499, b-stock, model 25-31 pci) one they sell and it is head and tails above any sub I have ever owned, worth ever cent. Customer service is first rate too, in this day and age, you actually get to speak to an english speaking gentleman who is really in the united states, crazy I know...I highly recommend SVS! :emoji_thumbsup:

mikieson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Thanks for all the replies folks. I think im gonna have to just buy another sub and maybe amp for my current boxes. I will have to measure and see if things will work with them.

I wouldnt want to get the cheapest SVS as I would not like it if im wanting the best..lol...Im sure most of you understand that.

Plus like I stated, I can not afford anything right now. So im more less just getting ideas.

Thanks and if any of you want to GIVE me your SVS's...let me know..teeheelol.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

So you will settle for much worse because you don't want to get the least expensive of the best? Uhhhh . . . ok. :confused: Sorry, but I don't understand that at all.

PS - Noticed I said "least expensive" instead of "cheapest". There is nothing "cheap" about any SVS. Each price level offered by SVS is easily among the best bang for the buck in it's class.

mikieson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike

Well now, im sure SVS is good as many of you here have stated....BUT...Im sure there are thousands of other people that think other brands are better or just as good..Everyone has different opinions.

And trust me, I would love to own "the best" but I just cant swing that. Matter of fact im just looking cause im so broke I dont have fule for my vehicle the rest of the week..lol..So for now, im just brousing.

I do enjoy reading different opinions and all the different views on things. I love to learn.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FWIW Mike I once compared side-by-side the SVS PC 25-31 to my $2500 top of the line Velodyne ULD18-II and it held it's ground. The Velodyne certainly had benefits over the SVS, which also cost 1/5 the price, but the SVS actually had better extension. Plus, SVS has updated the drivers at least twice since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks