-

Photo
- - - - -

Battlestar Galactica Season 4

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1610 replies to this topic

#1 of 1611 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted September 02 2007 - 06:14 AM

I thought I'd start this as there's some important news that needs to be addressed. I read this over at AICN today;

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33862

As many know the new season of Galactica starts this coming February and includes 20 episodes. In a BSG Q&A at Dragoncon some of the crew revealed that Sci-Fi Channel is planning to shelve the last 10 episodes for an entire year--essentially premiering them as another "season" in Feb. 2009.

I think this is asinine, the actors themselves seem to agree and exclaimed Sci-Fi normally produces crap and doesn't know what to do with something like Galactica. All I know is that after an 18 month wait for the season this upsets me and there's a good chance that after a year with 10 episodes on a shelf (THE FINAL 10 EPISODES!) spoilers are bound to leak out and even the episodes themselves have a good chance of being leaked to the Internet--wtf are you thinking Sci-fi??

With a little luck this news has come out soon enough that we can let Sci-fi know this is unacceptable.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#2 of 1611 OFFLINE   Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts

Posted September 02 2007 - 06:38 AM

According to Wikipedia, although I'm not sure what to believe, Razor is supposed to be part of the fourth season. In fact, it will be the first 2 episodes but will air as one single movie this fall. So we don't really have to wait long for the fourth season to begin.

http://en.wikipedia.....lactica:_Razor
Live Free or DIE!!!!!

#3 of 1611 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted September 02 2007 - 07:13 AM

I'd just like to point out that the last time Sci-Fi announced plans for a series this far in advance, we were absolutely sure we'd be getting a fifth season of Farscape. So I don't think I'll worry about this too much; there's time for things to change.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#4 of 1611 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,008 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 02 2007 - 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs
All I know is that after an 18 month wait for the season this upsets me and there's a good chance that after a year with 10 episodes on a shelf (THE FINAL 10 EPISODES!) spoilers are bound to leak out and even the episodes themselves have a good chance of being leaked to the Internet--wtf are you thinking Sci-fi??
If this is the case, I'd bet that they're looking to sell a Season 4.1 DVD set and Season 4.2 DVD set. Once again, if this is the case, it's probably Universal that you want to blame and not Sci-Fi.

#5 of 1611 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,019 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted September 02 2007 - 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
If this is the case, I'd bet that they're looking to sell a Season 4.1 DVD set and Season 4.2 DVD set. Once again, if this is the case, it's probably Universal that you want to blame and not Sci-Fi.
That's the first thought that flashed through my mind, too -- another split-DVD release. Fuck. (Or, "frak.")

You know they're just doing this to milk as much mileage from the final season as possible, without having to...say...commit to an actual fifth year of the series. BSG has now enough episodes in the kitty to syndicate the show, which is pure profit for the network/studio...they don't have to produce any more, and they can just kick it back and rake in the bucks.

And, in the meantime, we'll keep seeing shite like Megasnake, Atomic Twister, Black Hole, and Dinosaur-rama on Sci-Fi, in lieu of quality product like Battlestar. (Though they've confirmed that further TV movies might be an option down the road.)

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#6 of 1611 OFFLINE   Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco

Screenwriter

• 2,462 posts

Posted September 03 2007 - 04:28 AM

Quote:
(Though they've confirmed that further TV movies might be an option down the road.)

TV movies are difficult to pull off successfully due to sets and talent availability. It'd make more sense just to do normal short series of 8-13 episodes per season if they can come up with a budget sustainable based on show revenue. Alas, money comes into it for everyone, not just Universal and Sci-Fi. If someone wants $1MM, it's easier to get that spread over 20 episodes than over 10. Reduce the budget, thus reducing what you can pay the talent, and the artists excited about working on BSG would probably become not so excited after all. At the end of the day, they're looking to get paid.

Quote:
in the meantime, we'll keep seeing shite like Megasnake, Atomic Twister, Black Hole, and Dinosaur-rama on Sci-Fi

No, I won't.
Studios, caption your internet streams.

#7 of 1611 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted September 03 2007 - 07:22 AM

They dont need to drag this show on with movies of the week. Give us an ending. If i get jacked with a cliffhanger in the last episode, next year or year after, i will be pissed. I think the actors are ready for a resolution as well.
I agree to show the last 20 episodes and be done, dont milk it for 2 years!

#8 of 1611 ONLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,685 posts

Posted September 03 2007 - 09:00 AM

Ouch, I feel your guy's pain. They just put my show on the shelf until 2010 (save for some TV specials and the spin-offs), so I'm feeling the burn too.

#9 of 1611 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted September 03 2007 - 03:29 PM

And the Sci-fi channel continues to find ways to piss me off.

#10 of 1611 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,207 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 03 2007 - 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs
With a little luck this news has come out soon enough that we can let Sci-fi know this is unacceptable.
I agree it sucks. Unfortunately, I like the show too much to boycott it and I barely watching any of Scifi's other programming as it is.
The only way Scifi may hear anything from me is simple economics: I'm at the tail end of pursuing my batchelor's degree right now, and my financial situation is extremely tenuous. I'm locked into a living situation through next summer that makes watching "Battlestar" financially possible. After I graduate and rejoin the 9 to 5 world again, luxuries like cable television might not fit into the picture. So by dragging the show out another year, they might lose me as a viewer whether I want them to or not.

#11 of 1611 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,852 posts

Posted September 03 2007 - 11:38 PM

Has there been a report other than the AICN one that SciFi plans to hold the final 10 episodes until 2009? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I'm not going to get concerned about it until I do. AICN often does not have accurate info. They're right about as much as the Enquirer and the Star.

#12 of 1611 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted September 04 2007 - 08:48 AM

Dang, if they want some BSG to show in 2009, they could always order a fifth season... Posted Image
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#13 of 1611 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,207 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 04 2007 - 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul McElligott
Dang, if they want some BSG to show in 2009, they could always order a fifth season... Posted Image
The decision to end the show was made by the producers, not the network.

#14 of 1611 OFFLINE   Steve Y

Steve Y

Supporting Actor

• 704 posts

Posted September 07 2007 - 11:13 AM

Hopefully it won't take them as long to get season 4 on DVD. I don't have cable (and no friends with Tivo have the Sci-Fi channel) so I have yet to see a single episode of season 3. (Bought the first two seasons on DVD)

#15 of 1611 OFFLINE   Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted September 07 2007 - 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Y
Hopefully it won't take them as long to get season 4 on DVD. I don't have cable (and no friends with Tivo have the Sci-Fi channel) so I have yet to see a single episode of season 3. (Bought the first two seasons on DVD)
They (Sci-Fi) have been talking about splitting Season 4 into halves and holding back the second until 2009(!Posted Image ), so it might still take a couple of years to get the final season of BSG on DVD.
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#16 of 1611 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,019 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted October 10 2007 - 03:14 AM

New trailer promo for Season 4 up:

http://aintitcool.com/node/34383

Looks fucking sweet.

"The Final Season - 2008"

Does this mean that Sci-Fi won't be splitting the season in halfsies, or does this just mean that the first batch begins in '08?

Hope to God it's the former.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#17 of 1611 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 10 2007 - 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
After I graduate and rejoin the 9 to 5 world again, luxuries like cable television might not fit into the picture. So by dragging the show out another year, they might lose me as a viewer whether I want them to or not.
No need to lose BSG for such petty reasons. I found a coworker with a DVD-DVR, and he records the season to DVD for me Posted Image

And I'm not enthused about possibly having one season stretched over two years.

#18 of 1611 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted October 10 2007 - 07:23 AM

Perhaps it will air in the UK earlier. I'd LOVE for everyone to see it via England and leave SciFi in the dust, if SciFi decides to split it into 2009. But joshEH's report that the commercial implies it will be shown as one final season as intended is good news indeed.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#19 of 1611 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,207 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 18 2007 - 03:32 AM

Tread carefully when reading articles out there.
Mary McDonnell's just announced how many episodes are left on her contract, which basically spells out when she's going to die.
EDIT: Mikah's comments make it clear that I am alone in my understanding of the situation. My apologies to you, Brian. I have spoilerized the offending text.

As for the information, for those so inclined, it's available here.

#20 of 1611 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted October 18 2007 - 07:20 AM

Quote:
Tread carefully when reading articles out there.

Tread carefully when reading posts on the HTF telling one to tread carefully. Thank you for the big spoiler in your spoiler warning!
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow