What's new

RoboCop (Blu-ray) release on Ocober 9, 2007 (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
RoboCop (Blu-ray), is being released this time around, at a higher price.:P:rolleyes

Currently, pre-ordering RoboCop from Amazon.com for the October 9, 2007 release, now puts the MSRP @ $39.98, making the Amazon.com 30% discount @ $27.95.

Looking back at the August 15, 2006 release & pre-order, the Amazon discount price was @ $19.95.:eek:

Hopefully, the higher price means this release will have a new transfer.:cool:

Here is a link to the Unreleased August 15, 2006 (Blu-ray) Version Disc Review from High-Def Digest and the newer October 9, 2007 - RoboCop (Blu-ray) link.

Paul

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
That's because Fox picked up the rights to distribute MGM in the interim. I think WB had them before.

If it's the same tranfer, YIKES!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
And I though twenty bucks street for the new (20th) SD DVD was high!
Better transfer, butt I miss the CC (1.66:1) aspect ratio.
(new release is anamorphic, the CC was/is not)

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Sony actually owns MGM but it is Fox that has the Home Video distribution rights to the entire MGM catalouge, which also explains the absence of any MGM releases on Blu-Ray during the time Fox went missing.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

I was talking about a little over a year ago, when Sony distributed on home video for MGM. MGM switched from Sony to Fox in the Summer of 2006. This is why RoboCop was produced on BD by MGM and distributed by Sony, but then canceled before it streeted.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member

Correct, it was Sony. At one time WB was doing MGM catalog like "Logan's Run" etc... So confusing to keep track!

:)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
That's correct, as Warner acquired the pre-1986 MGM library when it acquired Turner Entertainment. The only pre-1986 titles that MGM retains are those from United Artists and Orion, whose assets they acquired respectively when they bought UA in 1981 and the Orion bankruptcy fire sale in the late 1990s.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
see...?

ARGH! Confusing!

Well, I'd like to see Logan and the original Rollerball one of these years...

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Darn. I usually keep up with future BD and HD DVD releases but somehow I missed this one. I didn't know a BD version was coming out so I bought the SD DVD 20th anniversary edition when it came out a couple weeks ago. Great SE by the way. Loved the extras and the commentary, which I had never heard before.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
MUST.....BUY...CANNOT....RESIST.

I hope I can get a deal on it, but having Robocop in the best form possible is like my own Directive 4. $35 for the Criterion Collection version upon its release was the most I ever spent for a single film on DVD. And wouldn't you know the first copy shipped was damaged and I had to send it back for replacement, walking to the post office no less, as I was in college at the time. The agony I'll endure for that film.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
At that price, Miguel Ferrer better drop it off at my door with some blow in hand...

I keed, I keed.

A new, crisp transfer? I'm really glad I did'nt spend all that cash on the previous release from Criterion.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will

:laugh:

I really hope all the extras from the new SD release are included. If they are, and it's a new transfer, this could well be one of the BD releases of the year!

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Yeah I'm still waiting for the specs to show before I get my hopes up though. We'll see soon enough, the date is getting close.

I supect that even if it has everything the recent SE has the usual supects will jump in and complain about how it's not worth paying $7 extra for a catalog title then jump back over to the Star Trek thread and out of the other side of their mouth go on about how $140 for single season of a 40 year old TV show is a great deal.

It's pretty comical once you see through it.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
The word is now in, and I'm gonna have to wait for a mega sale ala Amazon or a used copy:

http://www.hollywoodinhidef.com/blog_detail.php?id=125

Consumers let MGM and Sony know about their dissatisfaction with the quality of last year's Blu-ray edition of the rated version of cult classic "RoboCop" (before Fox took over distribution of MGM, which incorporates the Orion library). Now, MGM-Fox has responded with a remastered, unrated version of the 1987 film. While there are still no bonus features on the Oct. 9 release ($39.98 U.S. / $49.98 Canada), the studios have completed a new transfer of the original cut with inserts from a cleaned-up version of the master for the extended scenes.

This new Blu-ray version has been authored in MPEG 2 and is presented on a 25GB disc with English 5.1 DTS HD Lossless Master Audio plus French and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound. It includes subtitles in English, Spanish, French, Cantonese, and Korean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks