What's new

Survivor: China (Survivor #15) Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Survivor:China (a.k.a. Survivor #15) begins on September 20, 2007. This is the place to discuss it. The Official site for this program is here and the HTF Survivor:China Top Ten Challenge thread (entries start on September 27th although you can indicate interest now) is located here.

Let the games begin....

James T

Screenwriter
This might be a bit interesting. I'm familiar with two of the contestants (Jean-Robert and Ashley). It was my understanding that Burnett and Co. approached both parties (Jean-Robert personally and Ashley via the WWE).
Not sure how they got the other recruits, but maybe it's the same way.

Seems like they're again, trying a differnt approach to the game.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Reminder: The action begins tonight (9/20). See the separate thread for our HTF Top Ten Challenge! The winner will receive some HD discs (prize to be determined). You've got to be in it to win it.

;)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
"Damn!!!!"

Oh my god - that was way to funny!

I don't like that the last several season's premieres are only an hour - but at least it does'nt drag.

A good premiere, although I'd like to know more about the characters.

+ for James - Reminds me of Duncan in "Green Mile"
- for Courtney
+ for Todd
- for Jean-Robert
+ for Frosti
+ for Ashley
- for Chicken
/ for Aaron
/ for Dave

Meh for the rest

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
It does not bode well when two of the most interesting characters of the new season are up for eviction on the first show. Fortunately the eventual evictee was obvious from the moment the tribe lost the immunity challenge.
Best
Greg

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
This is the first time I have been able to watch this show with my new HD TV. I was shocked to see that Survivor wasn't shown in HD here, or at least not in widescreen. Is survivor not HD?

The only comment I have about the episode was about how rude the ditzy blond NY waitess was in the temple. She and the "not religous" jesus lover were very rude. It doesn't matter if you have the same beliefs as your hosts, you should still be respectfull of them.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Too many cameras needed to fully upgrade to HD, so both Survivor and The Amazing Race are still shot in 4:3 AR.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I almost always seem to disagree with the HTF crowd when it comes to Survivor and Amazing Race, so surprise surprise, I loved Courtney--I thought she was hysterical. (At least, her quotes were; I wouldn't say her mannerisms at the temple were totally disrespectful, but yeah, she should have tried to be better about that.)

Best premiere since Palau I'd say. Love that they're back to 16.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Frankly, I'm surprised, too. HD Cameras should be affordable for the Tiffany network--especially for a show that is one of its top-rated efforts. The prices on the cameras are dropping every day. Hell, even if they moved to HD cameras that weren't top-of-the-line, I would suspect the product would still look better than what's is being put on the air now.

How many prime-time shows do you suppose will air in the 2007/8 TV season in standard definition?

The show makes a lot of money. Mark Burnett & CBS should invest some of it back into the program. Imagine how stunning both Survivor and The Amazing race would look in HD. They are, in fact, the perfect shows for the format--considering the exotic locales.

Shame on CBS. They should be embarrassed.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
I second the thought that this was best premiere since Palau. The twists these past few seasons have gotten rather monotonous... exile island, division by race... and the killer of them all, one rich and one poor tribe... for so long the twists would completely dominate the shows which had comparatively dull casts full of models and hollywood wanabees... That's how US Big Brother operates.

Survivor at its best allows the drama of the 16 play out naturally with little interference, just a tad maybe from the twists. All the exile islands and hidden immunity idols really detracted from my POV from the real thrill of the game. Instead of playing person against person, you're playing a game of 'who has the idol?'

I'm glad to see the show is returning to its roots of exotic locations, and straight forward free for all Survivor! Great cast...and already the first boot was heartbreaking to see.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I agree this was a great opener. It left me wanting to know more about the cast.

It seems to me like the HTF crowd moans about the first few weeks and how uninteresting the cast is. We then all seem to "get religion" about halfway through and remark about how things are picking up and it is shaping into one of the best seasons ever. I would say to have such a strong premiere bodes well for the rest of the season.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Will the older tribe members ever learn to just keep thier mouths shut and not have to go on and on about the "young'ins"? Chicken's personality was great for the show and would have provided some comic relief further on, but he could just not shut up.

Michael:M

Supporting Actor
I have to admit to being glad Chicken is gone - I really couldn't understand half of what he said. The combination of his accent and soft, relatively high-pitched voice made for one hard-to-get guy.

Agreed that Courtney was the stereotypical ugly American in the Buddhist temple. While Leslie might have angered some, she gave it a shot but had to go with what she felt was right. Courtney was just a rude b**ch. I'm not saying I even like Leslie, but she seemed to be more interested in people and giving the experience a shot than Courtney.

It'll be interesting watching Dave and PG struggle for leadership. I thought it was funny and wince-worthy, watching both of them claim leadership while no one else really backed them or seemed glad to have a "leader."

The poker player should have brought some suspenders. :laugh:

Was it just me, or did Probst seem kind of bored in the opening? I know he recently re-upped with the show, but he also had gone on record saying the traveling was very wearying and he was getting tired of it.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
You know what always kills me? On every show they make the contestants leave behind their personal belongings. Why do they always where the most inappropriate clothing for the outdoors?

Unless the producers always dupe the contestants as to when the show is really going to start. I would be walking around with layers of clothes on, including a bathing suit. You would think the girls would wear bikinis under their clothes.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've read that they do tell the contestants different stories such as: we're going to do a photo shoot...or, the game's not going to start for another couple days so we are just traveling from Point A to Point B when they slam them with "game is on."

BUt...c'mon people. This is the 15th season. Let's get a clue and be prepared.

==========================

I also agree that it's nice to shed all the baggage that has accumulated over the seasons: Exile Island, immunity idols, three tribes, four tribes, and other gimmicks and just get back to a manageable two tribes and a straight-up game of Survivor.

I thought I read, though, that immunity idols would be a part of this season. Something about them "being right out in plain sight."

==========================

Oh. And a two-hour season premiere really WAS called-for. Especially considering how the programs which followed were still in re-runs. Tough to jam the first three days into 45 minutes or so. Longer shows early-on would REALLY help with character development.

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator
I think there are two reasons it is not in HD yet. First, CBS is really cheap. Second, I think they are saving it as a marketing tool, for when they feel that Survivor is on its last legs. I think they figured that China was interesting enough to draw people in for one more season, but they better make it HD for the next one, or it will really stand out against all the HD shows out there. This is the only Non Hd show I watch, and it is painful.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

Absolutely. I can understand why they don't do it in the spring since in February sweeps, you want to have CSI on there (although with Survivor: Amazon in spring 2003, they did a 90-minute premiere and then a 90-minute CSI), but come on, for the fall season, they might as well extend it. I'd actually love for the second and third episodes to be extended too, but I'd settle for just the premiere at this point.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Agree that this was the best premiere in quite some time. (Which one was the pirate-themed Rupert one? - that is the best premiere that Survivor ever had)
Looking forward to see how James does. Strong guy so he will definitely last until merge but with his lack of social skills, how long will he last after that? Or will he learn social interaction tricks real quick? Or is it all a facade to get further ahead in the game?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I've watched 30 minutes of the 1st episode and I"m already hooked a bit. Can't get enough of this show (all other reality shows make my brain hurt).

Looks like a very good cast (if not a carefully chosen cast, divided up carefully as well). The poker player looks like a winner. I got my eye on him.

Why on earth did that woman leave during the ceremony? Idiot. I'd vote her off toot sweet. And the thin blond girl who was whining (not openly to everyone) would probably be close behind if she got too vocal.

I question whether "chicken" has ever seen the damn show before. The 2 basic rules are to not be the leader and not to annoy everybody by bossing them around.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member

Probst was on Regis and Kelley this week and said that people have worn extra clothing but they perform a complete strip search before the game starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks