Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Survivor: China (Survivor #15) Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
254 replies to this topic

#1 of 255 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted September 01 2007 - 10:14 AM

Survivor:China (a.k.a. Survivor #15) begins on September 20, 2007. This is the place to discuss it. The Official site for this program is here and the HTF Survivor:China Top Ten Challenge thread (entries start on September 27th although you can indicate interest now) is located here.

Let the games begin....
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#2 of 255 OFFLINE   James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted September 14 2007 - 04:38 AM

This might be a bit interesting. I'm familiar with two of the contestants (Jean-Robert and Ashley). It was my understanding that Burnett and Co. approached both parties (Jean-Robert personally and Ashley via the WWE).
Not sure how they got the other recruits, but maybe it's the same way.

Seems like they're again, trying a differnt approach to the game.

#3 of 255 OFFLINE   RAF

RAF

Lead Actor

• 7,062 posts

Posted September 19 2007 - 05:42 PM

Reminder: The action begins tonight (9/20). See the separate thread for our HTF Top Ten Challenge! The winner will receive some HD discs (prize to be determined). You've got to be in it to win it.

Posted Image
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
CLICK HERE to visit My HT HTF Rules and Regulations

#4 of 255 OFFLINE   RyanAn

RyanAn

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 01:00 PM

"Damn!!!!"

Oh my god - that was way to funny!

I don't like that the last several season's premieres are only an hour - but at least it does'nt drag.

A good premiere, although I'd like to know more about the characters.

+ for James - Reminds me of Duncan in "Green Mile"
- for Courtney
+ for Todd
- for Jean-Robert
+ for Frosti
+ for Ashley
- for Chicken
/ for Aaron
/ for Dave

Meh for the rest

#5 of 255 OFFLINE   Greg Krewet

Greg Krewet

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 01:11 PM

It does not bode well when two of the most interesting characters of the new season are up for eviction on the first show. Fortunately the eventual evictee was obvious from the moment the tribe lost the immunity challenge.
Best
Greg

#6 of 255 OFFLINE   Scott-S

Scott-S

Screenwriter

• 2,043 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Zion

Posted September 20 2007 - 02:35 PM

This is the first time I have been able to watch this show with my new HD TV. I was shocked to see that Survivor wasn't shown in HD here, or at least not in widescreen. Is survivor not HD?

The only comment I have about the episode was about how rude the ditzy blond NY waitess was in the temple. She and the "not religous" jesus lover were very rude. It doesn't matter if you have the same beliefs as your hosts, you should still be respectfull of them.
-----
Scott

View My DVD Collection
Stop the on-screen Bugs!!!!!!

#7 of 255 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 03:00 PM

Too many cameras needed to fully upgrade to HD, so both Survivor and The Amazing Race are still shot in 4:3 AR.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#8 of 255 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 03:08 PM

Yeah.....I really can't stand Courtney. Constantly rolling her eyes at every little thing and totally disrespectful at the temple. I can see a lot of conflict ahead for this arrogant little............well....you can fill in the rest. Posted Image

Great opening for this edition. Looking forward to next week.
Recently watched- Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, Home Alone, An American Christmas Carol, It's A Spongebob Christmas!, Four Christmases, Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Keep the change your filthy animal!"

#9 of 255 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 03:53 PM

I almost always seem to disagree with the HTF crowd when it comes to Survivor and Amazing Race, so surprise surprise, I loved Courtney--I thought she was hysterical. (At least, her quotes were; I wouldn't say her mannerisms at the temple were totally disrespectful, but yeah, she should have tried to be better about that.)

Best premiere since Palau I'd say. Love that they're back to 16.

#10 of 255 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,213 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 20 2007 - 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-S
This is the first time I have been able to watch this show with my new HD TV. I was shocked to see that Survivor wasn't shown in HD here, or at least not in widescreen. Is survivor not HD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun
Too many cameras needed to fully upgrade to HD, so both Survivor and The Amazing Race are still shot in 4:3 AR.

Frankly, I'm surprised, too. HD Cameras should be affordable for the Tiffany network--especially for a show that is one of its top-rated efforts. The prices on the cameras are dropping every day. Hell, even if they moved to HD cameras that weren't top-of-the-line, I would suspect the product would still look better than what's is being put on the air now.

How many prime-time shows do you suppose will air in the 2007/8 TV season in standard definition?

The show makes a lot of money. Mark Burnett & CBS should invest some of it back into the program. Imagine how stunning both Survivor and The Amazing race would look in HD. They are, in fact, the perfect shows for the format--considering the exotic locales.

Shame on CBS. They should be embarrassed.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#11 of 255 OFFLINE   Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit

• 443 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 04:03 PM

I second the thought that this was best premiere since Palau. The twists these past few seasons have gotten rather monotonous... exile island, division by race... and the killer of them all, one rich and one poor tribe... for so long the twists would completely dominate the shows which had comparatively dull casts full of models and hollywood wanabees... That's how US Big Brother operates.

Survivor at its best allows the drama of the 16 play out naturally with little interference, just a tad maybe from the twists. All the exile islands and hidden immunity idols really detracted from my POV from the real thrill of the game. Instead of playing person against person, you're playing a game of 'who has the idol?'

I'm glad to see the show is returning to its roots of exotic locations, and straight forward free for all Survivor! Great cast...and already the first boot was heartbreaking to see.
- Mark Kalzer

#12 of 255 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,213 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 20 2007 - 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph J.D
Great opening for this edition. Looking forward to next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyC
Best premiere since Palau I'd say. Love that they're back to 16.

I agree this was a great opener. It left me wanting to know more about the cast.

It seems to me like the HTF crowd moans about the first few weeks and how uninteresting the cast is. We then all seem to "get religion" about halfway through and remark about how things are picking up and it is shaping into one of the best seasons ever. I would say to have such a strong premiere bodes well for the rest of the season.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#13 of 255 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted September 20 2007 - 11:39 PM

Will the older tribe members ever learn to just keep thier mouths shut and not have to go on and on about the "young'ins"? Chicken's personality was great for the show and would have provided some comic relief further on, but he could just not shut up.

#14 of 255 OFFLINE   Michael:M

Michael:M

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted September 21 2007 - 12:44 AM

I have to admit to being glad Chicken is gone - I really couldn't understand half of what he said. The combination of his accent and soft, relatively high-pitched voice made for one hard-to-get guy.

Agreed that Courtney was the stereotypical ugly American in the Buddhist temple. While Leslie might have angered some, she gave it a shot but had to go with what she felt was right. Courtney was just a rude b**ch. I'm not saying I even like Leslie, but she seemed to be more interested in people and giving the experience a shot than Courtney.

It'll be interesting watching Dave and PG struggle for leadership. I thought it was funny and wince-worthy, watching both of them claim leadership while no one else really backed them or seemed glad to have a "leader."

The poker player should have brought some suspenders. Posted Image

Was it just me, or did Probst seem kind of bored in the opening? I know he recently re-upped with the show, but he also had gone on record saying the traveling was very wearying and he was getting tired of it.
"Life began in mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between." - Diane Ackerman

#15 of 255 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted September 21 2007 - 01:35 AM

You know what always kills me? On every show they make the contestants leave behind their personal belongings. Why do they always where the most inappropriate clothing for the outdoors?

Unless the producers always dupe the contestants as to when the show is really going to start. I would be walking around with layers of clothes on, including a bathing suit. You would think the girls would wear bikinis under their clothes.
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#16 of 255 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted September 21 2007 - 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael:M
Was it just me, or did Probst seem kind of bored in the opening? I know he recently re-upped with the show, but he also had gone on record saying the traveling was very wearying and he was getting tired of it.

I work in a friggin cubicle 5 days a week without a window......and this guy's getting tired of travelling to exotic places around the world for huge pay? Where do I sign up? Posted Image

Regarding Chicken's departure, I was actually surprised by that. I would have thought that PG would have gotten the boot because of her really bossy nature. Then again, Chicken was really non-comittal in his attitude....his constant refusal to give an opinion on anything regarding what to do next really started to get annoying after awhile.
Recently watched- Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, Home Alone, An American Christmas Carol, It's A Spongebob Christmas!, Four Christmases, Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Keep the change your filthy animal!"

#17 of 255 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,213 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted September 21 2007 - 01:52 AM

I've read that they do tell the contestants different stories such as: we're going to do a photo shoot...or, the game's not going to start for another couple days so we are just traveling from Point A to Point B when they slam them with "game is on."

BUt...c'mon people. This is the 15th season. Let's get a clue and be prepared.

==========================

I also agree that it's nice to shed all the baggage that has accumulated over the seasons: Exile Island, immunity idols, three tribes, four tribes, and other gimmicks and just get back to a manageable two tribes and a straight-up game of Survivor.

I thought I read, though, that immunity idols would be a part of this season. Something about them "being right out in plain sight."

==========================

Oh. And a two-hour season premiere really WAS called-for. Especially considering how the programs which followed were still in re-runs. Tough to jam the first three days into 45 minutes or so. Longer shows early-on would REALLY help with character development.

#18 of 255 OFFLINE   phil-w

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator

• 195 posts

Posted September 21 2007 - 02:48 AM

I think there are two reasons it is not in HD yet. First, CBS is really cheap. Second, I think they are saving it as a marketing tool, for when they feel that Survivor is on its last legs. I think they figured that China was interesting enough to draw people in for one more season, but they better make it HD for the next one, or it will really stand out against all the HD shows out there. This is the only Non Hd show I watch, and it is painful.

#19 of 255 OFFLINE   AnthonyC

AnthonyC

Screenwriter

• 2,341 posts

Posted September 21 2007 - 03:30 AM

Quote:
I thought I read, though, that immunity idols would be a part of this season. Something about them "being right out in plain sight."

Yep, the big twist is that the winners of the reward challenge kidnap a member of the losing tribe who gives a note to one player of their choice informing them of the hidden idol. Hopefully it'll pay off post-merge and maybe we won't see a Pagonging.

Quote:
Oh. And a two-hour season premiere really WAS called-for. Especially considering how the programs which followed were still in re-runs. Tough to jam the first three days into 45 minutes or so. Longer shows early-on would REALLY help with character development.

Absolutely. I can understand why they don't do it in the spring since in February sweeps, you want to have CSI on there (although with Survivor: Amazon in spring 2003, they did a 90-minute premiere and then a 90-minute CSI), but come on, for the fall season, they might as well extend it. I'd actually love for the second and third episodes to be extended too, but I'd settle for just the premiere at this point.

#20 of 255 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted September 21 2007 - 03:43 AM

Agree that this was the best premiere in quite some time. (Which one was the pirate-themed Rupert one? - that is the best premiere that Survivor ever had)
Looking forward to see how James does. Strong guy so he will definitely last until merge but with his lack of social skills, how long will he last after that? Or will he learn social interaction tricks real quick? Or is it all a facade to get further ahead in the game?

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow