What's new

U-571 HD DVD Audio Question (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Hi Folks,

I see that on the Universal U-571 HD DVD it lists Dolby Digital Plus and DTS as the two soundtrack selections.

Now, I know that the Dolby Digital Plus, while not lossless, is a higher bitrate than the standard DD that is on regular SD DVD's. My question is about the DTS soundtrack that is included here. It is labeled as just DTS, not DTS+ or anything like that. Is this DTS track a higher bitrate than a standard DTS track on a SD DVD? Does it compare to the DD+ in terms of quality, or is it a standard SD DVD DTS soundtrack?

I did notice that when playing the DTS track my reciever showed 'Multi Ch In' rather than 'DTS', so that would tend to make me believe that this is a higher quality encode than SD DTS. (I'm passing the signal from an HD-A2 to a Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI, with HDMI audio output set to 'Auto' on the player).

One final note is that to my ears, the DTS sounded a little fuller and better, but that could just be psychological.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Check the bitrate. With Sleepy Hollow, the original was a 754K DTS track and on the BD it has a 1509K track that does sound better.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I believe previous Universal releases have had Dolby Digital+ tracks at 3.0 Mbit, but I don't know if all of them have. The DTS track would most likely be 1.5 Mbit.

Doug

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Someone who has an A2 will have to answer that...or check your manual. It should be one button away.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
What I would love for a track on U-571 is not possible with current HT equipment. U-571 was released to theatres with an SDDS 8 channel track, which would be a beautiful thing.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Doesn't Dolby TrueHD or PCM do 7.1? It should be possible, theoretically speaking at least, to take an 8-channel mix and preserve the information in a home theater mix.

Whether this is practical or worth the cost, I don't know. I am aware of the fact that theatrical SDDS does not offer a home theater equivalent, which may complicate things.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

The mix could still be used and encoded to either True HD or DTS master audio. True HD supports up to 8 channels. DTS master audio supports 7.1 channels.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks