-

Photo
- - - - -

Pirates of the Caribbean Blu-ray has wrong framing!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
142 replies to this topic

#1 of 143 OFFLINE   EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 12:34 AM

i just saw this over at avsforums and believe or not, this is not a joke!!!

how can something like this happen again after universal screwed up back to the future 2 and 3? this should've been a leason to all studios to double check the media if everything is the way it should be.

well done disney, well done Posted Image

disney is better be putting out a replacement soon and i want my copies free of charge asap, no matter if i life in germany or not.

thanks to denner for pointing this out to us Posted Image

#2 of 143 OFFLINE   Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,318 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 02:57 AM

wow, thanks for the heads up, I was just about to buy this last Friday... crazy! Glad I waited. Let's hope it gets fixed soon.
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#3 of 143 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,831 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted August 30 2007 - 03:13 AM

I'm sure that Disney will fix it like Universal did with BTTF a few years ago.

#4 of 143 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 03:15 AM

I don't get it... it's been out for this long and noone's noticed the problem until now? It looks like it's hard to miss. Are people actually watching the films they purchase in HD, or are they more concerned with the picture quality to notice these things?

#5 of 143 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 03:20 AM

Oh my, this is terrible! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
I'm careful with my BD purchase and with all the Pirates movies, I said the first one is the one that warrants a repurchase and got the BD. I have not seen it yet. Posted Image

#6 of 143 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,202 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 30 2007 - 03:43 AM

Someone fell asleep at the HD mastering wheel.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 143 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colella
I don't get it... it's been out for this long and noone's noticed the problem until now? It looks like it's hard to miss. Are people actually watching the films they purchase in HD, or are they more concerned with the picture quality to notice these things?

I bet they are watching the films because the enjoy a good film, not so they can do a frame by frame analysis to see if there is something wrong.

Speaking for myself, Marc, I have watched it several times and did not notice. Much to the chagrin of my wife, I have been known to miss certain key plot points because I do tend to focus on image and sound quality, but something like this just would not jump out at me.

Of course, now that I am aware of the problem, it will likely be a fork in the eye the next time we watch it. :-(

Brian

#8 of 143 OFFLINE   Averry

Averry

Second Unit

• 378 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 04:10 AM

Well, it's probably different than the DVD version, however nearly impossible to spot if you're not referencing it to anything else.

Just a possibility I guess.
My expectations on Jurassic Park in HD. I better fricken BE THERE!

#9 of 143 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 04:29 AM

People's heads are out of the frame! No need to reference it to anything else!

#10 of 143 OFFLINE   Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

• 1,385 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 04:52 AM

Apparently the framing is only off for about 8 - 9 minutes of the film - starting when Jack enters the blacksmith shop for the eventual fight. I never noticed it and I've watched the disc straight through a couple of times.

#11 of 143 OFFLINE   Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 04:56 AM

I'll put myself down as another who isn't overly concerned about this.

Sure, when you compare the two versions, it's obvious. I've watched the Blu-Ray a few times now and never noticed. I guess I got wrapped up enjoying the story and the great picture quality. Posted Image

#12 of 143 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Davatchi
People's heads are out of the frame! No need to reference it to anything else!

Exactly. I understand not paying full attention to details of framing, but when a character is the focal point of the screen and half his head is missing - doesn't that jump out at you?

#13 of 143 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,643 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted August 30 2007 - 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colella
Exactly. I understand not paying full attention to details of framing, but when a character is the focal point of the screen and half his head is missing - doesn't that jump out at you?
Sometimes, you're so wrapped up in the film, it just doesn't register with your brain especially if it's only for a 8-9 minute segment of a 2 1/2 hour film.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#14 of 143 OFFLINE   Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper

Screenwriter

• 1,252 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 05:25 AM

There is actually a scene where the mis-framing exposes a part of the scene you weren't supposed to see. When Jack and Will are fighting up in the rafters, due to the bottom of the frame being exposed, you can see that they are really only about 2 feet off the ground instead of 10!
-Jeff Cooper

"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

#15 of 143 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 06:51 AM

At first I didn't think this was that much of an issue, but then I saw all of those screenshots on page 8 of the thread over at AVS. The amount of heads cut off makes it look more like Sleepy Hollow than Pirates of the Caribbean. Posted Image

I hope Disney takes a hint from Universal with that whole Back to the Future fiasco and fixes what is clearly a defective release.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#16 of 143 OFFLINE   Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent M
At first I didn't think this was that much of an issue, but then I saw all of those screenshots on page 8 of the thread over at AVS. The amount of heads cut off makes it look more like Sleepy Hollow than Pirates of the Caribbean. Posted Image

I hope Disney takes a hint from Universal with that whole Back to the Future fiasco and fixes what is clearly a defective release.

Yes and it appears to be one whole reel of the film is framed too low. The very next scene is the attack on the port. The closeups of the Governor all seem to cut him off right at the eyebrows. Not the way you would normally frame a face.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#17 of 143 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,510 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 07:31 AM

Some of the comments in that AVS thread fascinate me. Denial isn't just a river in Egypt for them.

#18 of 143 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,540 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted August 30 2007 - 10:44 AM

I noticed something seemed "not quite right" about some scenes of the movie, but I had no idea there was actually something wrong. Interesting.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#19 of 143 OFFLINE   Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 11:57 AM

I remembered thinking I thought the fight scene was filmed better than this, now that I think of it. Occurred to me when I was demo'ing it for some friends.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#20 of 143 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted August 30 2007 - 12:28 PM

I hope Disney steps up to the plate, recognizes that this is actually a problem and issues replacement discs like Universal did for Back to the Future. The thing that kills me is that it took 3 months for someone to actually realize the disc was framed incorrectly.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow