What's new

anyone here enjoy the count of monte cristo? (1 Viewer)

TRBMan

Auditioning
Real Name
AJ Schmidt
i am reading it for school and its proved to be a very good book.

anyone else enjoying it? it was a little confusing to figure out Dantes's aliases but other then that i love it

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I read the Count of Monte Cristo @ 14, and it instantly became my favorite book at the time. To this day it remains near the top in my mind (I will confess I've not read it since), surpassing even the better known Three Musketeers (another must-read). Beyond the poignant and riveting revenge story, the historical backdrop of France (and Europe) during and after the Napoleonic Wars, and 19th century aristocracy is just fabulous.

Has any film adaptation done justice to this magnificent story? I started watching the French mini-series starring Gerard Depardieu, but didn't make it very far.

I refuse to see any part of that 2h travesty released in 2002, based on belief that it is impossible to do justice to this epic tale in such a short period of time :).

Speaking of the Three Musketeers, when I read it soon after, I was surprised to find a much, much darker and morally ambiguous tale than what the black and white "Un pour tous et tous pour un!" heroism of pop culture had prepared me for. Not to highjack your thread, but I have to ask, did anyone else feel that way? :D

--
H

Joe S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Oh, I love it. Great book, one of the all time excellent prison escape/action novels. The ending does go a little ... French ... on the reader, but I guess that's to be expected.

I enjoyed the recent movie as well for different reasons. No way are you going to condense 800 pgs down to 2 hrs and not cut corners, but it keeps the spirit of the book intact. It's not like Dantes throws his arch-nemesis into a vat of liquid iron using a cool Aikido move or anything at the end ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.