Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Getting ready for CEDIA...Any requests?

CEDIA 2005-2007

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#21 of 28 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,525 posts

Posted September 07 2007 - 12:45 AM

Thanks Adam! I saw last night that the Toshiba rep in Ron's video had mentioned the 35 could pass bitstream but it wasn't clear that that was the only model capable of doing so. The only reason I'm really curious about bitstream is that I'm looking to upgrade my receiver and am trying to determine the importance of being able to handle raw HD audio feeds.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#22 of 28 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,916 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted September 07 2007 - 01:09 AM

The chipset in the A30 and A35 is the same that is currently in the A20. Again, everyone that I have talked to has said it makes no difference if the player does the decode or the receiver does.

#23 of 28 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,916 posts

Posted September 07 2007 - 01:10 AM

If you have a display that accepts 1080/24 either the A30 or 35 will be fine, if not, it may be worth it to step up to the XA2, which doesn't currently support bitstream, but is rumored to get that functionality eventually via a firmware update.

#24 of 28 OFFLINE   Tom Abbott

Tom Abbott

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted September 07 2007 - 05:48 AM

I'd be interested in news about any other companies besides LG and Samsung that may be releasing Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combi players just in time for Christmas. (Any wonder what's on my wish list?) Tom

#25 of 28 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted September 07 2007 - 09:33 AM

How were the boot-up and loading times on the Venturer player and the new Toshiba models?

#26 of 28 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,916 posts

Posted September 07 2007 - 12:05 PM

Quote:
I'd be interested in news about any other companies besides LG and Samsung that may be releasing Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combi players just in time for Christmas. (Any wonder what's on my wish list?) Tom

None. They are it.

Quote:
How were the boot-up and loading times on the Venturer player and the new Toshiba models?

I haven't had a chance to test this yet. I am going to come out and say that while no one will confirm it, in my opinion the Venturer is a rebadged Toshiba A3. I'll go into more detail in another report later.

I also wanted to say that while I think the gen 2 Toshiba is slow to power up (still faster than gen 1), I couldn't believe how long the Sony S300 takes. It's easily twice as long as the Panasonic!

#27 of 28 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,525 posts

Posted September 07 2007 - 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich
I am going to come out and say that while no one will confirm it, in my opinion the Venturer is a rebadged Toshiba A3. I'll go into more detail in another report later.

Definitely interested in hearing the comparison of these players as well as comparisons to the 2nd gen Toshiba players.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#28 of 28 OFFLINE   Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted September 07 2007 - 04:31 PM

It definitely looked a LOT like the A3 in the video posted in the CEDIA section.

Forum Nav Content I Follow