What's new

Two trends i'd like to see come to an end. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Random vent thread. :)

1. Kids and teens wearing large baggy pants where the crotch is almost at the knees and white t-shirts that are 2x too large for them and extend down to their ankles. This phenominon has been going on for years now, one would think that kids would have come up with something new by now.

Cloths that fit, look into it.

The "tougher" variation on the above: teens who wear hooded sweatshirts with the hood up in the dead of summer.

I'll take comfort over cool or brooding any day.

2. Grown men and older teens who ride bicycle's that are way too small for them. Everywhere I look people are riding these tiny little stunt bikes like the one's used in extreme BMX'ing competitions.

This one occured to me one day while riding my bike to work, while passing a group of kids they proceeded to snicker at my expense, it hit me that the reason they were laughing was because my bike was actually in proportion to my body lol.

What ever happened to ten speeds?

Rant over, feel better. :cool:

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The first trend tends only to be seen in larger cities in the UK and then only amongst some social groups. It tends to mark the wearer out as socially inferior like the dreaded 'chav' look (Google the word if it hasn't crossed to the USA yet).

The second is again confined to the economically deprived and indicates someone too poor to buy a bigger bike. Nearly always the rider with be dressed as a pikey or a chav (again, Google for further explanation).

Apologies if the above sounds a horrible example of Brit snobbery - it isn't meant to. I'm trying to be descriptive rather than prescriptive.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I actually heard a thoery that the reason kids wear relatively the same clothing i.e. black pants and white t-shirts is so that they can commit crimes and confuse the police if they're caught lol. It sounds like i'm stereotyping but believe me i'm not as I don't subscribe to that theory at all, it's just something I heard that sounded interesting.

And i've actually seen men that look somewhat well to do riding those bikes, I mean my bike is large and I only paid $120.00 for it.

LewB

Screenwriter
A trend I'd like to see go the way of the dodo is the 'coffee can' at the end of muffler pipes that make cars (usually 4 cylinder 'ricers') sound like the lawn mower I just put on the junk heap. :angry:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What I'd like to see come to an end is the addition of apostrophies to plurals, or just any word which ends with an "s". For example, "bicycle's that are way too small for them. Everywhere I look people are riding these tiny little stunt bikes like the one's..."

Sorry John, I just couldn't resist.

Back on your original topic, I often ride to work, which is 5 miles each way along the extremely nice bike paths we have here in town. One day I got stuck behind some kid riding one of the bikes you mention who was wearing pants that were 5 sizes too big. It was hilarious to watch him NOT be able to actually sit on the seat while riding, but also not be able to keep his pants up, WHILE he refused to let me pass. So, he would pedal furiously for as long as he could, until his pants were practically down to his ankles, then have to coast while he tried to grab his pants, then repeat the whole thing. Man, that was one cool looking dude.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Trends that need to die:

1) Industrial strength tube tops / half shirts with low-cut jeans. Too often, they squeeze the upper torso into shape, but force out a "jelly roll" out above the waistline. Anorexic bodies are detestable, but they are the only ones that can wear this particular fashion combo. (Belly button piercing doesn't help...it just looks like a valve stem on you.)

2) Tall socks and long shorts. The SPF beats anything made by Coppertone, I'm sure. But this is one time the younger generation needs to listen to the older ones. We figured out that this garb combo looks like shit when the Bee Gees were topping the charts, and we quit wearnig it. If you really insist on getting vintage, at least get some Larry Bird / Wilt Chamberlain style jogging shorts with contrasting piping, and knee-high tube socks with stripes of both colors. (Hint: they were basketball gods, but it still looked stupid on them.)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al

Don't hold your breath. Glass Packs and straight pipes were big when I was sixteen, 30+ years ago. And I'm pretty sure it goes back further than that. So I think it's out of the "trend" category. (Don't get me wrong, I vote with you - and I'll add in those car subwoofers that shake my my car when I sit next to them in traffic.)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Years ago, I attended a talk given by the local police department's gang unit. The cop's theory was that less affluent kids were embarrassed because they had to wear hand-me-downs that didn't quite fit, so they turned it into a fashion statement. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's one theory anyway.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Definitely agree with #1. I don't know when society decided that girls should wear the smallest, tightest clothing available and boys should wear the largest, baggiest clothing available. It just looks ridiculous as most girls are muffin-topping their flab all the time and the boys are constantly pulling their pants back up. What happened to wearing clothes that fit properly?

Don't have much experience with the bike thing.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

One of the few bikers who do ride bikes that look too small to the rider is trials riding... Hans Rey stuff,because they truly aren't sitting down too often and for a specific contest will make things easier have a lowered seat/seatpost.

The rest still believe that one should be able to put their feet flat on the ground when riding! :laugh:

Jay

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

It's cool, but please try, people pointing out the mistakes in grammer of others is another pet peeve of mine that i'd like to see end. ;)

Glad to learn that these trends are happening elsewhere and they're not limited to my area.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Ahh, okay, I guess that's another to consider, this particular trend has been around for so long that I had a hunch there was a reason behind it lol.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see the end of vile stereotypes of urban youth whose only presumable crime is questionable fashion taste.

--
H

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Don't include me in that, Holadem, I already stated that I don't subscribe to any of that. I don't really care why they wear the cloths they wear just that i'm sick of that particular look, these kids can't be comfortable wearing their cloths like that.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I'm actually going to buy a street bike in an hour. It's the same bike as my brothers friend and for some reason I think it's quite comfortable to ride. Easy to peddle, smooth ride, and it's not one of the smaller stunt bikes so I'm not trying to squeeze into it.

And I prefer cloths that are loose, but that aren't falling down on me.

EDIT:

Just got the bike, I got a step-up from the one I was looking at earlier:

http://www.diamondbackbmx.com/items....d=2&itemid=222

It looks small, but that's one of the bigger street bikes on the market. And it fits my 6'2" body with room to spare.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Apologies - talking at cross-purposes. I know the sort of bikes you mean. You don't see them much as general purpose bikes in the UK (i.e. if you see them, they're most probably being used for their intended purpose). On the street, if you see an undersize bike, 10 to 1 it's a pikey teenager on it (note this is a description of a particular fashion style, nothing more).

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Kids are kids and none of that bothers me. It's the natural order of things for adults to hate the way kids dress.

The trend I'd like to see come to an end are adults wearing those super narrow rectangular glasses. Doesn't matter what shape people's faces are, everyone is wearing them and most look really bad in them.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
One trend I would like to see end is teenagers wearing ballcaps with the brim flat and the stickers still on the underside of the brim. It looks absolutely ridiculous, especially on the gangbanger wannabes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks