What's new

PS3 movie/game settings? (1 Viewer)

LITE SPD

Auditioning
Real Name
Fisnik
I have a PS3 with HDMI cable going to my Samsung 1080p DLP TV, then I have digital audio cable (toslink) from the TV going to a 5.1 Onkyo receiver. So I guess I'm using my TV as a hub. My question is....

What settings should I have on my PS3 to get the best picture and sound quality when I watch movies in Blu-Ray format or DVD format? When I play games? I've tinkered with some of the options but I can't tell a difference in what I'm looking at or I don't know what to look for.

These are the settings that I have on right now:

Game Settings:
PS/PS2 Upscaler Full Screen
PS/PS2 Smoothing On

BD/DVD Settings
Cinema Conversion Automatic
DVD Wide Display Full Screen
DVD Upscaler Full Screen
BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI) RGB
BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI) Automatic
BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) Bitstream
BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital) Bitstream

Display Settings
Video Output Settings HDMI
Cross Color Reduction Filter On
RGB Full Range (HDMI) Full
Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI) On

Sound Settings
Audio Output Settings HDMI

And one more question....I notice that it says under BD/DVD Settings and one of the options being BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI). When I play a movie and when I hit the "display info" button on my Samsung TV remote it says "1080p 60 Hz". Is my TV not doing something its supposed to? Whats the difference between 24 Hz and 60 Hz?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I *think* you need to run the optical audio cable directly from the PS3 to the receiver -- the TV may only be passing the front L/R channels.

24 Hz is the native refresh rate for film, and 60 Hz is the native refresh rate for video. The TV may or may not be capable of handling 24 Hz directly -- check the owner's manual.

LITE SPD

Auditioning
Real Name
Fisnik
Aaron, thanks for repling. Although I think I'm alittle more confused. I am getting surround through all of my speakers with this setup. And are the settings for my PS3 correct?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm not sure about the settings -- I have a PS3, but I don't actually have a TV, so I haven't really looked at them yet (it's plugged into a 15-year-old 30" set just for testing purposes at the moment). :)

What's the specific model number of your TV? Either I'm mistaken about it not passing all 6 audio channels (entirely possible), or the receiver is applying a simulated surround mode to the 2 channels it's getting.

LITE SPD

Auditioning
Real Name
Fisnik
The TV is a Samsung 1080p DLP TV 50'' model # HLS5087. The reciever I have is a Onkyo AV Reciever model # HT-S590.

Fred333

Agent
Real Name
Fred
I have a PS3 as well and was looking to get surround sound for it. So very interesting thread for me.

I think your settings look OK but if you check some of the PS3 discussions at Sony User sites there is a real concern about throughput when running the audio through the TV and then optically to your receiver. I never considered that, because I always thought another connection means the potential for more problems, so instead I ran the optical out directly to the reciever, ran the HDMI to the TV and turned the TV volume down to zero. The only problem I had was that the auto set up with an HDMI connection on the PS3 turns the optical out off. It took me awhile to figure that out! Once I redid the optical out setting manually, everything worked fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks