What's new

Ringtones (1 Viewer)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I had never given much thought to ringtones. At work, we are all provided with company cell phones. I used to use vibrate only, but the company switched providers and I can’t feel my new phone. I guess it is smaller & lighter. Now everyone at the office has the same new phone and using the same 3 tones, it was hard to tell whose phone is ringing if we are all together. So I found the Motorola software on e-bay for 3 bucks.
The first night I had it, my son & I were fooling around with different sounds. I ended up with a donkey hew-hawing for the ringtone. The next day I was doing a presentation to the management, including the president, on our labor & overtime expenses. Wouldn’t you know it, in the middle of the presentation someone called me.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
Everyone went silent and looked around trying to figure out what was going on. I was glad to see the president laughing. :emoji_thumbsup: I have now changed it to Star Wars – Imperial March by Rage Against the Machine. My son is using the World of War Craft battle cry Leroy Jenkins.
Anyone else use a custom ringtone? What is it?

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I use a ringtone that is a series of cartoon "bonk" and "sproing" sound effects. It always gets a good reaction, though it's seldome heard since I keep it on vibrate almost all the time.

During the week before Halloween, I switch it to a blood-curdling scream.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Doesn't anyone's phone just ring anymore? :laugh:

Old-fashioned that I am, I selected a ringtone that quite literally sounds like an old-fashioned phone ringing. A friend of mine uses the ringtone that sounds like the phones in 24. What I really want, though, is a ringtone that sounds like the phones on Homicide Life On The Street. Yes, I've googled for it, but haven't found one yet.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I actually have that set as a default ringtone, with my family members overiding that default with the "Bonks!" ringtone. But since I seldom get calls from non-family members, I almost never hear the mechanical bell ringtone. Once, when it did go off, one of my colleagues informed me that my "analog phone was ringing." :)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Nice of you to consider me a friend of yours, Yee-Ming. ;) My ringtone is also the 24 phones.

On my last phone, I had a recording of my then-3-year-old niece singing as the ringtone. Can't do that on my current phone.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
This has been my stance for years, till I gave in earlier this year when I had to get a new phone. Ah well. Since then:

Beethoven 5th - Great stuff but gets kinda low after the opening fanfare, before rising backup.

"Hey Joe" (Hendrix) - For like 2 days till it rang while I was chatting up some girl -- I kid you not. Talk about a buzz kill.

"Purple haze" (Hendrix) - Nice and loud, had it on for a few months till fatigue set in.

Currently PotC: DMC... but I am gonna have to switch it soon: Love the theme, but it's just not loud enough and I've been missing calls.

I toyed with the idea of assigning ringtones to callers, but decided against it for privacy reasons.

--
H

Kevin T

Screenwriter
my current ring tone is a busy signal. i realized that eventually there will come a time when nobody in the younger generation knows what a busy signal even sounds like. plus, it's kinda fitting for my hectic life.

as an aside, my alarm tone is the leroy jenkins battle cry which the op mentioned. holy shit is that thing ever LOUD!!

kevin t

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave

My son left his phone on the kitchen table and scared the daylights out of my wife with that yell :laugh:

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I stay away from using music and songs as ringtones (it's not like you can enjoy the music like you can with a real music player), but I will confess a weakness for sound effects. If I could download a "24" ringtone, I would. There are some Star Trek and B5 sound effects I'd like to have as well. Do those count as "just ringing"? :)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I would think a custom ring tone is a tone or sound that did not come with your phone and you added it.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member

Same here. Freaks people out, they're so unused to hearing an ancient Ma Bell phone any more (though I use one that's decades older than I am in my bedroom---those babies were built to last, let me tell you).

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I wish I could find the noise of the phone ringing in the movie "Brazil". I couldn't even begin to describe it in writing, other than it kind of sounds like what I imagine stepping on a duck would sound like.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
I use two different custom ring tones. Like a couple others, I use the phone ring from 24. I also made a recording off my corvette when I put the new borla exhaust on and transfered that into an mp3 and made it a ring tone.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I still have Bill Lumberg saying:

[phone ring] "Yeah, hi. It's Bill Lumberg. It's about 10 o'clock. Yeah. Just.. ahhh.. wondering where you are." [phone ring]

I'm looking for Carl Weathers saying "How do you like your ribs?" from Action Jackson. It's a bit of an inside joke amongst my friends and family. So, if anyone out there is geek enough to rip that for me, it'd be greatly appreciated.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Where did you get that!?!? I've been trying to find that for my Verizon phone, but I'm ring-tone ignorant and don't where it's at.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks